Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Nick Lucas owned by Doug Fieger from "The Knack"

Trail Dog

I took a friend of mine to a vintage guitar show in LA many years ago.

He was looking for an acoustic guitar and I saw a Gibson Nick Lucas RI with a natural finish that looked interesting.

I'd never seen one that wasn't sunburst and I told my friend that if he didn't buy it, I would! 

As he made his purchase, we learned that it came from the collection of the recently deceased guitar player Doug Fieger.

Later, after I inspected it further, I realised that this was a recreation of Bob Dylan's Nick Lucas from his early days!

Although this was a 12 fret ( Bob's was 13) it had the natural top, rosewood back and sides, the Martin pickguard, and the Guild bridge! (for specifics of the original- research it)

Such a cool guitar! 

Long story-short/ my friend's house was broken into and several guitars were stolen.  We were both heartbroken! For months I scoured the internet, looking for anybody trying to sell a similar guitar. He eventually got an insurance settlement and tried to forget about it.

A couple years later, I decided to try a search again and low and behold- I got 2 hits! One of them an online seller in Canada. It had been sold.

The pictures posted left no doubt this was the same guitar. My friend had never taken a photo of the guitar, and the bill of sale was still in the case!

Nothing we could do, I guess.

Photo-Feb-17-10-39-56-AM.jpg

Edited by Trail Dog
spelling

One of the two guitars was in a shop a few hours down the road from me.    I found the oldl Reverb ad which said it had originally been purchased at Mandolin Bros.  The second guitar, according to the ad , went to a collector in Japan. 

Edited by zombywoof

After this happened to my friend, I made a list of all my guitar's serial numbers and store them with their COA's in my files. 

Here's the ended listing I found for this guitar. I've never seen another quite like it.

https://reverb.com/item/1627736-gibson-nick-lucas-2006-natural

Edited by Trail Dog
added reference

The one I found was for sale in Cincinnati, OH.  Where the seller got all of the information he provides I do not have a clue.  This one, however, gives the year of build as  2007.  So it looks like  Gibson may have have issued more of these than is believed..   

https://reverb.com/item/12991690-gibson-nick-lucas-2007-natural-madagascar-adirondack-1-of-2-bob-dylan#full

Just my preference, but I don’t care for Gibson’s natural finishes. I’ve had quite a few and still have a few. Their burst is what attracts me. I prefer Martin naturals but they should not do burst although I do have one. I have seen some nice burst from them so the clown burst is obviously by choice. 

Edited by Dave F
  • Like 1

The story goes that Ted McCarty thought Gibson's crowning achievement during his tenure as president was the ES 335.  When asked what the finish should be on the first ones he replied it had to be a burst because it was as much a Gibson trademark as their logo.

• Like 1

That's obviously a different one that Zombywoof posted the link to. "The Gibson" was not on the headstock of my friend's guitar.

I can't find any more info on it. Because it had belonged to a famous musician, we always figured it was custom built. But why 12 fret instead of lucky 13?

It baffles logic!

5 hours ago, Dave F said:

Just my preference, but I don’t care for Gibson’s natural finishes. I’ve had quite a few and still have a few. Their burst is what attracts me. I prefer Martin naturals but they should not do burst although I do have one. I have seen some nice burst from them so the clown burst is obviously by choice. 

I absolutely agree. Martin has no business doing a Shade Top. I have no idea why they let what looks like their apprentices spray paint the tops of Martins, but when they do they are fugly. One with a painted top from CFM will never come through my door, unless its free.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

17 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I absolutely agree. Martin has no business doing a Shade Top. I have to idea why they let what looks like their apprentices spray paint the tops of Martins, but when they do they are fugly. One with a painted top from CFM will never come through my door, unless its free.

I don’t know about that. One of those Cowboy guitars may make into my house one day 😉

13 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I don’t know about that. One of those Cowboy guitars may make into my house one day 😉

Are you being serious?  The one with the weed smoking bear,  David Crosby, The Louvin Bros, and the other cartoon ones make me scratch my head and make me want to go up to Nazareth and pop CFM IV in the nose. Not to mention they are crazy stupid expensive.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Having recently acquired a J-50 I feel I should speak up for Gibson natural top guitars! Mine is gorgeous and they age wonderfully too. A decades-old amber J-50 is a glorious thing. I also think that natural top Doves and Hummingbirds can look pretty spiffy.

That said, Gibson does a righteous burst. I always think that the imitations look like just that, imitations.

Anyone else favour a cherry burst over the more famous tobacco burst? 

On 7/21/2020 at 3:50 PM, Dave F said:

44B8BEF2-35CE-4E9A-8B13-16E40CD5405F.jpeg

These two should have CFM IV's head examined before letting them out the door. The weed one is funny, but it had a funny price to - 3k.

hFjq9Js.jpg

7c0Q75A.png

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 7/21/2020 at 3:23 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Are you being serious?  The one with the weed smoking bear,  David Crosby, . . .

Oh, now I see- they're two separate guitars

4 hours ago, TomG76 said:

Anyone else favour a cherry burst over the more famous tobacco burst? 

If it's one of the 60's cherrybursts that has aged to an iced tea burst, absolutely.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Oh, now I see- they're two separate guitars

If it's one of the 60's cherrybursts that has aged to an iced tea burst, absolutely.

I just looked there is one with a guy fly fishing on it. Yeah they should have had Croz smoking weed or blowing his nose. It would have been fitting. Croz won't be caught dead playing with that, he couldn't get enough in trade for blow. I like the fact that he is playing a D-45 on a D-16.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

21 hours ago, jvi said:

Crosby  is a great benefit to music  deserves respect.

I've a huge amount of time for Croz. I saw CSN play a few years back and whilst Stills has faded into a sort of leathery twilight and Nash came across as going through the motions a little, Crosby burned with fire, skill and passion. An astonishing and poised performance. 

On 7/24/2020 at 3:51 PM, jvi said:

Crosby  is a great benefit to music  deserves respect.

Do some research and see how horrible of a human being  he was. He made some great music and f ed many people over in his wake. He's clean now, but CSN and Y will never sing in the same room ever again due to him.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 7/25/2020 at 5:10 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Do some research and see how horrible of a human being  he was. He made some great music and f ed many people over in his wake. He's clean now, but CSN and Y will never sing in the same room ever again due to him.

only a horrible person would say things like you constantly do, Im sure you aint no saint but Im also sure you are the rudest person on the forum