Gibson Brands Forums
Karloff

NAD - Red October

35 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

Cool color - don't recall seeing that before.  My partner in a band I was in for 15-20 years used one of those (black/silver), and I used the 1 X 12 Hot Rod Deville.  Needless to say it was a loud band.  The weight is a hassle, but the sound from 4 X 10 is so nice.  Since there aren't many gigs to play anyway you can just set it up where you play most often and it doesn't have to be moved around much.  Congrats on a good find you will enjoy it!!

I thought Deville's came it 2x12 or 4x10. Never seen or heard of a Deville as a 1x12. I owned a 2x12 beast. Loudest amp I ever owned.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

I thought Deville's came it 2x12 or 4x10. Never seen or heard of a Deville as a 1x12.

I think you're right.  The 1x12 IIRC was the Hot Rod Deluxe. (40watt, with the same front end as the Deville amps.)  AS with the rest of these amps, not really all that stellar for gain/crunch channel, but a pretty good easy to move club gigging amp and plop any pedal you want in front of it and it works like a charm.

3 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I think you're right.  The 1x12 IIRC was the Hot Rod Deluxe. (40watt, with the same front end as the Deville amps.)  AS with the rest of these amps, not really all that stellar for gain/crunch channel, but a pretty good easy to move club gigging amp and plop any pedal you want in front of it and it works like a charm.

Yeah I had a HR Dlx it was 40 watts and a 1x12. Loud as hell too.  I never used the gain on either, I always used pedals for OD/Dist/Gain, what ever we call it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 minute ago, Twang Gang said:

Sorry - a senior moment, the one I had was a Deluxe, my mistake.

We all get em. I think the Dlx was or is Fenders best selling amp.

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yeah I had a HR Dlx it was 40 watts and a 1x12. Loud as hell too.  I never used the gain on either, I always used pedals for OD/Dist/Gain, what ever we call it.

they were nice amps.  my band did a few shows with another group, who were friends of ours,  one of the guys had one, some shows, he'd use mine, some I'd use his.  Once you dropped the pedal board down, there wasn't much of a difference.  the 4x10 covered more ground, and seemed twice as loud, (it wasn't but it felt it)..  If only they'd made that gain side more usable.  My Marshall JTM combo destroys my 4x10 Deville in that department, but it shines for clean.

Edited by kidblast

7 minutes ago, kidblast said:

they were nice amps.  my band did a few shows with another group, who were friends of ours,  one of the guys had one, some shows, he'd use mine, some I'd use his.  Once you dropped the pedal board down, there wasn't much of a difference.  the 4x10 covered more ground, and seemed twice as loud, (it wasn't but it felt it)..  If only they'd made that gain side more usable.  My Marshall JTM combo destroys my 4x10 Deville in that department, but it shines for clean.

The gain is crazy and anything past 3 on the reverb sounded the same to me. Barley in a cave or deep in the cave was the gist of it.

5 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The gain is crazy and anything past 3 on the reverb sounded the same to me. Barley in a cave or deep in the cave was the gist of it.

pretty much on the reverb..  but the gain, just not my cup of team..  way too "fizzy" and "buzzy"  (yes these are technical terms based on decades of my in depth scientific studies...  WOOT!)

Edited by kidblast

2 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Cool color - don't recall seeing that before.  My partner in a band I was in for 15-20 years used one of those (black/silver), and I used the 1 X 12 Hot Rod Deville.  Needless to say it was a loud band.  The weight is a hassle, but the sound from 4 X 10 is so nice.  Since there aren't many gigs to play anyway you can just set it up where you play most often and it doesn't have to be moved around much.  Congrats on a good find you will enjoy it!!

I haven't exactly mentioned to the wife I bought it yet. I figured I'd fix a few things around the house first. get in her good graces then sorta spring it on her ...

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Karloff said:

I haven't exactly mentioned to the wife I bought it yet. I figured I'd fix a few things around the house first. get in her good graces then sorta spring it on her ...

The old bait and switch. Maybe a bottle of wine too.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Karloff said:

"I haven't exactly mentioned to the wife I bought it yet....."

Ho ho..."Uh (mumble)  I... gtanuammp......"

"What?"

[laugh]

• Haha 2

On 7/21/2020 at 5:17 AM, Karloff said:

just got this . has been in the store for 8 or 9 years.  the 1x12 & 2x12 models sold within 2 weeks.  no one was dumb enough to buy this one. that's where I come into the story lol.  4x10, sounds great, looks great & so heavy you think it's bolted to the floor.  who needs a lower back anyway. 

red-october.jpg

Reminds me of the Red Killer Robot in the "Black Hole".

• Like 1