Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sugarcool6

Vintage Guitars V1003 BB

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Blackmore didn't need that pesky middle pup.

In "Down to Earth" (1979) and later - in some solos there is clear evidence of 2nd or 4th position selector being used. I think so, just because the way it sounds there.

Thanx to you and @RCT on the Tele 3-saddle intonation education. There will also be ES-335 questions later this year (hopefully!). 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

In "Down to Earth" (1979) and later - in some solos there is clear evidence of 2nd or 4th position selector being used. I think so, just because the way it sounds there.

 

May have been.  May have been a two pickup strat with a three way.  Strat wired like a Tele sounds like heaven in the middle.

rct

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

 

grazie Joel. Tre pickup su un Lester non mi sembrano mai giusti.

"It looks like there aren't any great matches for your search." 

I don't know? It's all a matter of taste. I love it, Almost considered getting one way back. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

Not delighted about that third pickup either, all due respect to Peter Frampton. 

I don't wanta get exiled from this forum, but 3 pickups belong on a Strat - and only on a Strat.

Whatever. Again I disagree.  I have a Epiphone Custom wine red Riviera P93 coming, if it ever gets here.  With 3 P90's in it. I've had many compliments on it by other guys at the store when I ordered it who can't wait to see it when it arrives. I've seen people driving cars I wouldn't be caught dead in, Lol. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It's called a discussion. I don't think guitars should come blue but they do. It's called personal choice.

Exactly. I never owned one blue guitar from 13 teen till today. And Blue has been my favorite color. I gave you 2 pluses Sgt.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Retired said:

Whatever. Again I disagree.  I have a Epiphone Custom wine red Riviera P93 coming, if it ever gets here.  With 3 P90's in it. I've had many compliments on it by other guys at the store when I ordered it who can't wait to see it when it arrives. I've seen people driving cars I wouldn't be caught dead in, Lol. 

The online stores are now saying they have the Riviera P93's in stock...

Edited by mihcmac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mihcmac said:

The online stores are now saying they have the Riviera P93's in stock...

I went to Dietze to check on it. Its sitting somewhere in California they said. If it doesn't arrive sooner than later, then I will go elsewhere I told them. Saturday, will make the 5th week waiting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Retired said:

I went to Dietze to check on it. Its sitting somewhere in California they said. If it doesn't arrive sooner than later, then I will go elsewhere I told them. Saturday, will make the 5th week waiting. 

Does Dietze stock Epiphones or did they special order it for you...?   if you don't mind me asking..?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Does Dietze stock Epiphones or did they special order it for you...?   if you don't mind me asking..?

Yes, They have more Gibsons and Epiphones than Guitar Center has.  It was just that neither had a Riviera in the store.  We could have gone with Sweetwater, who claimed they had one and same day shipping at that time, But we thought we would give Dietze the business as they are the store I go to.  They said, this Covid 19 was slowing it down in California. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Retired said:

Yes, They have more Gibsons and Epiphones than Guitar Center has.  It was just that neither had a Riviera in the store.  We could have gone with Sweetwater, who claimed they had one and same day shipping at that time, But we thought we would give Dietze the business as they are the store I go to.  They said, this Covid 19 was slowing it down in California. 

 Yea California is getting hit pretty hard right now with Covid, good to support your preferred store though. Several internet stores just announced today that they have them in stock, different models can sometimes ship in lots so yours could show up soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

 Yea California is getting hit pretty hard right now with Covid, good to support your preferred store though. Several internet stores just announced today that they have them in stock, different models can sometimes ship in lots so yours could show up soon.

Yeah, I know I could get it a bit quicker, I've bought several guitars from Dietze, and I hate to see them close here on account of the virus. I'll wait a bit longer I told them. Deb bought it for a birthday present for me. Its the 7th guitar she has bought me now. I only have bought 2 guitars since we got married for myself. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2020 at 2:58 PM, rct said:

Two-Tone-1.jpg

EJ-June-2017-2.jpg

rct

Those two light blue from RCT are the bee's knees, and this darker blue isn't so bad either:

0ZwGXLZ.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

Those two light blue from RCT are the bee's knees, and this darker blue isn't so bad either:

0ZwGXLZ.jpg

Beautiful trans dark blue..

I like darker blues too..        Zardoz's light blues are pretty killer..

rMfrbwR.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Those two light blue from RCT are the bee's knees, and this darker blue isn't so bad either:

0ZwGXLZ.jpg

 

Grrrr.  Rrrrowlll.

rct

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2020 at 8:16 PM, OrdinaryNimda said:

One question on the 3-saddle Tele  - does it intonate properly?
(I have never owned one, but heard some ugly stories...)

 

I agree with rct & sgt. 3 saddles seem to intonate ok. Mine is fine at any rate. 

They look cheap though. They look as though they've been cobbled together from some leftover bits in a hurry. Part of the appeal? 

Not sure. I always thought Teles ugly anyway. They sound great though.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2020 at 11:10 PM, Retired said:

Exactly. I never owned one blue guitar from 13 teen till today. And Blue has been my favorite color. I gave you 2 pluses Sgt.

 

Its weird isnt it? I almost know what you mean. When I saw the latest incarnation of Deep Purple, the guitarist (Steve Morse?) was using a blue guitar. There was something 'wrong' about it. I think it was the colour blue (or maybe the color ble). 

But I think blue guitars look great. One of my favourite looks is the blue Strat with tortoiseshell pickguard. Maybe they only look wrong when someone's playing them? I would buy one anyway, because I when I played it, I wouldn't be able to see me playing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

 

Its weird isnt it? I almost know what you mean. When I saw the latest incarnation of Deep Purple, the guitarist (Steve Morse?) was using a blue guitar. There was something 'wrong' about it. I think it was the colour blue (or maybe the color ble). 

But I think blue guitars look great. One of my favourite looks is the blue Strat with tortoiseshell pickguard. Maybe they only look wrong when someone's playing them? I would buy one anyway, because I when I played it, I wouldn't be able to see me playing it.

Steve Morse is the s-hit. Saw him once with The Dregs, after they dropped Dixie from their name, then 3 times solo. When I saw him he always played that weird Franken-Tele that he had.

Friends don't let friends buy blue guitars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

 

Its weird isnt it? I almost know what you mean. When I saw the latest incarnation of Deep Purple, the guitarist (Steve Morse?) was using a blue guitar. There was something 'wrong' about it. I think it was the colour blue (or maybe the color ble). 

But I think blue guitars look great. One of my favourite looks is the blue Strat with tortoiseshell pickguard. Maybe they only look wrong when someone's playing them? I would buy one anyway, because I when I played it, I wouldn't be able to see me playing it.

I saw a semi hollow blue Gibson way back I thought I had to have, but it was way too expensive for my blood. I knew my wife would never go for it.  My son had a Pelham Blue Limited Edition Custom Pro Epiphone.  He told me he was going to sell it and asked if I knew anyone who wanted one?  I told him, not to sell it, & that I would buy it from him.  So he gave it to me. I had it for 2 years, and he then wanted it back as a decoration piece for his remodeled basement. That guitar rocked with Burst Buckers in it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try the 1st 14 seconds of this;

 

BTW I own a Vintage V100PGM lemon drop which is a lot of guitar for the money - had to change the machine heads but is now my main gigging guitar...when I have gigs!

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 Pickups seems to have worked pretty Good for Frampton! Who's to say? There ain't no right or wrong when it comes to Music.. Just Good & Bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jdgm said:

Try the 1st 14 seconds of this;

 

I saw all of it. Very good too.

Quote

BTW I own a Vintage V100PGM lemon drop which is a lot of guitar for the money - had to change the machine heads but is now my main gigging guitar...when I have gigs!

 

They are very well regarded I know. I've been curious about them for years. They sound 'authentic' (can I use that word?). On that subject I got around to trying my Hagstrom Deuce on the new amp yesterday and that does also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2020 at 9:26 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Steve Morse is the s-hit. Saw him once with The Dregs, after they dropped Dixie from their name, then 4 times solo. When I saw him he always played that weird Franken-Tele that he had.

Friends don't let friends buy blue guitars.

lyqTDAC.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about Blue Moon Burst, I picked up a used RG421 this weekend for a price I couldn't turn down..

QjU7mej.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...