Gibson Brands Forums

New guy here from Michigan

Six97s

Hi, Scott here from the Detroit suburbs. Up front I’ll say right off I’m not the best player, don’t read music, community college class a bunch of years ago. Learned things myself. Spinal cord neck surgery 2 years ago. I went undiagnosed for 8 years, lots of nerve damage so I’m not the best player anymore. One day a month I can run through the intro to “The Lemon Song” without screwing it up too badly, lol. But I’ve always been an appreciator of vintage instruments. Two weeks ago on Craigslist I was able to work a deal for an ES-225TN with a Red refin. It needed a few minor things but all the important things are there. $1,000 for a 50’s Gibson, something I never thought I would own. I’m just going to get her going and love her. Anyway, that’s my story, glad to be here. 

EEF763C6-0D85-48DB-9B62-4A4D949E836D.jpeg

Edited by Six97s
Added text

Wait? Can't play too well?  Haha. No worries Scott, Thats not a recomondation to join here. Welcome aboard and glad to have you join up. Nice Gibson.  Yeah, many play in bands here and many don't.  Both young and old and some in their 70's. So you will fit right in.  There is a lot of knowledge here and that's the important thing. 

Welcome aboard Scott.  No need to worry about your playing ability or lack thereof.  There are a lot of people here in the same boat.  I have been playing since 2003 and still haven’t achieved my personal goal: reaching my maximum level of mediocrity.  It continues to elude me.

Very nice ES-225, BTW.

On 7/26/2020 at 4:42 PM, Retired said:

Wait? Can't play too well?  Haha. No worries Scott, Thats not a recomondation to join here. Welcome aboard and glad to have you join up. Nice Gibson.  Yeah, many play in bands here and many don't.  Both young and old and some in their 70's. So you will fit right in.  There is a lot of knowledge here and that's the important thing. 

On 7/26/2020 at 7:26 PM, tx-ogre said:

Welcome aboard Scott.  No need to worry about your playing ability or lack thereof.  There are a lot of people here in the same boat.  I have been playing since 2003 and still haven’t achieved my personal goal: reaching my maximum level of mediocrity.  It continues to elude me.

Very nice ES-225, BTW.

On 7/28/2020 at 5:14 AM, merciful-evans said:

Welcome Scott. I'm sure that guitar of yours will help to make practice enjoyable.

Thanks and nice to meet ya fellas! You guys are hilarious, hahahahaha. That really does put my mind at ease. Yeah, it’s so easy to play that I find myself picking it up a lot more than my Duo-Sonic (94, Mexican made) which really was a nice guitar. About 2005 I started to frequent an independent music store. Really old store, bad part of town, locked door, had to be let in. Looked like Sanford & Son inside. Most folks thought it was out of business. Guy starts to like me, long story short one day I walk out with a higher end Kay Speed Demon with 2 Kleenex Box Pickups. She’s Blonde, perfect and cheap (hmmmmm, lol) right down to the 2 tone chipboard case. Straight to the guitar shop with it for the works. Until I found this it was the nicest playing guitar I had ever owned. If I had owned this, back then, I would have seemed A LOT  better than I was! Hahahahaha. Ok, sorry for rambling, the wife is watching cop show re-runs. I’d go play my guitar but, I kinda like her so..... take care fellas!

• Like 1