Gibson Brands Forums

Paul McCartney live with David Gilmour & Ian Paice

Rabs

Don't know when this is from?  Hadn't heard of it before.  But honestly if you just close your eyes and listen and pretend you don't know who is playing it's not very impressive really.  A bunch of old guys playing beat up old guitars, singing off key and doing a bunch of simple three chord songs from the 50s and 60s.  I'm sure they just sort of threw this together as a jam and for that it is pretty cool but when compared to what these guys accomplished in their careers with their own respective bands this ain't much in terms of a great performance.  Sort of shows if you have a big reputation what you can get away with.  Enjoyed it nonetheless, but seems if I had gone into the Cavern Club and put on this performance with my band I'm not sure we would have passed the audition.  

3 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

Don't know when this is from?  Hadn't heard of it before.  But honestly if you just close your eyes and listen and pretend you don't know who is playing it's not very impressive really.  A bunch of old guys playing beat up old guitars, singing off key and doing a bunch of simple three chord songs from the 50s and 60s.  I'm sure they just sort of threw this together as a jam and for that it is pretty cool but when compared to what these guys accomplished in their careers with their own respective bands this ain't much in terms of a great performance.  Sort of shows if you have a big reputation what you can get away with.  Enjoyed it nonetheless, but seems if I had gone into the Cavern Club and put on this performance with my band I'm not sure we would have passed the audition.  

it's rock and roll bud,, don't over think it!! 🙂

6 hours ago, kidblast said:

it's rock and roll bud,, don't over think it!! 🙂

Yep, if that was a band not heard of, not many would show up, Since it was Paul and David, tickets would be sold out at a high price.  They did fine. 

I guess I was just disappointed.  When I saw the title and who would be playing I thought "this will be spectacular, outstanding, fabulous" and it just wasn't.  Like I said, I enjoyed it, and it would've been fun to be there that night, but it just didn't live up to my expectations.

12 hours ago, Retired said:

Yep, if that was a band not heard of, not many would show up, Since it was Paul and David, tickets would be sold out at a high price.  They did fine. 

ha!  True..  but please don't forget Ian Pace!!!  a beast of a drummer..

11 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

I guess I was just disappointed.  When I saw the title and who would be playing I thought "this will be spectacular, outstanding, fabulous" and it just wasn't.  Like I said, I enjoyed it, and it would've been fun to be there that night, but it just didn't live up to my expectations.

When these "fellas" get together to collaborate for live performances like this one, my guess would be  they probably have one jam to see what they want to do, then they just wing it.   So setting the bar really high is probably just setting one up to be disappointed.   There's not much mystery in 1-4-5 all night..

6 hours ago, kidblast said:

ha!  True..  but please don't forget Ian Pace!!!  a beast of a drummer..

I'm not really that knowledgeable on a lot of people in music, My wife knows a ton more than I.  So my education is mostly from her.  She has always been a great fan of the Beatles and taught me much about them.  Other than Ringo and FleetWood, I don't know drummers names. I have heard a lot of very good drummers through the years though. 

23 minutes ago, Retired said:

I'm not really that knowledgeable on a lot of people in music, My wife knows a ton more than I.  So my education is mostly from her.  She has always been a great fan of the Beatles and taught me much about them.  Other than Ringo and FleetWood, I don't know drummers names. I have heard a lot of very good drummers through the years though. 

Ian Pace has been playing with Deep Purple since Adam  and Eve were in diapers....