Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Standard 2015: Fretboard too bright?

adrian142

Hello all from Frankonia!

I bought a used Les Paul Standard 2015 in wine red candy and excellent condition, as I think. 
See picture below.

But when I compare the color of the fretboard to pictures of the guitar from the old Gibson website it looks like the fretboard is too bright.
Is that a sign that oiling is needed? Or is the color totally OK and the old picture not correct color-wise?

I would like it a little darker, though.

Best, Adrian

fsIZ3LK25NkXCHgjHaYXRABrbcyevMPgG9uae7KJ

Gibson Les Paul Standard 20125 WR 12.jpg

Gibson Les Paul Standard 20125 WR 4.jpg

If you are going to oil it, remember to only do so very infrequently and that less is more. I personally only use fretboard conditioner maybe once a year on each of my guitars along with the very occasional application of Dr Duck's Axe Wax.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 7:54 PM, Filbert said:

If you are going to oil it, remember to only do so very infrequently and that less is more. I personally only use fretboard conditioner maybe once a year on each of my guitars along with the very occasional application of Dr Duck's Axe Wax.

Once a year here too.

Yea, a dry fret-board will be lighter then a hydrated one.  But the truth is, this is just about personal pref. in the care/feeding of our guitars.  It's only been in the last 15/20 years that these products have been marketed and used.  Before that, we never even thought about it really, frets didn't fall out, and necks didn't explode! 🙂

And as mentioned don't use a lot when you apply it, and wipe it all down.

And for sure no need to do it a lot,  it will attract "gunk" along the fret edges and too liberal use over time can dissolve the glue that's used to secure the frets in their slots

Bout twice a year is a good rule of thumb.

Nomad F1 oil is good, as is Guitar Honey  (I like the nomad stuff, I think it's a bit more gooder!)

Edited by kidblast

• 2 weeks later...

I oil whenever board starts to look dry or color starts getting lighter. Heavy dose. Maybe 3 times per year tops. I think one could do once a season if one wanted. I drizzle it on the board and spread it around with my finger. Let sit for 15 min or so and wipe off excess. This of course is for Guild Starfire bass, Fender bass, and Gibson bass. Don;t know how LP with big inlays would fare with this heavy treatment.