Gibson Brands Forums

I'm tired of it....

Mr. Gibson

12 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Good Times, Sarge.     I went to Recruit Training in Great Lakes. Then back after a week of recuperation at home to go to Basic Electricity & Electronics school and then off to Bainbridge, MD for Radioman "A" school.  Then three ships, two of which were Comm types.  Like you, in school, I got to 'feeling my oats'.  Got Captains Mast and  reduced in rank.  That's when I realized  it was easier to go along to get along.  We use to ride the train up to Milwaukee, stay in a seedy old hotel by the train station and drink all weekend.  Learned how to chug a beer out of a can in two seconds.     Ships are named after people too.   People like FDR and JFK.  

I'm on my 6th and hopefully final job after military retirement. I worked as a Navy contractor 3 times, working on ships and boats. The big boys I worked on are the Abe Lincoln,  John C. Stennis and  Harry S. Truman.  I last saw time I saw the JFK was when I was down in Florida (still in the Coast Guard) it was starting to get de-comm'ed at the Navy base in Mayport. The USS Midway was the big boy in the Battle Group I was attached to in Japan. We were Commdestron 15. Strange the useless c-rap I remember.

Never got to stand in front of The Old Man unless I was getting inspected or promoted. You are an over-achiever. The Navy has way to many idiots. The Coast Guard is smaller and has less, and smaller ships. We call them Cutters. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'm tired of the heat. I wake up and its in the high 70's, and my noon its in the mid 90's. 

It's been pretty brutal up here in the Central Mass region too.

In bout 90 days, it'll be Halloween, and we won't be complaining about heat waves.

7 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

I'm tired of a former President turning a eulogy into a political speech. If I was the family I'd be angry. I thought he was smarter than that.

The team that wears blue sweaters probably ate it up. Honor the man and what he's done. Totally uncalled for. Thanks Nobama.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The team that wears blue sweaters probably ate it up. Honor the man and his what he's done. Totally uncalled for. Thanks Nobama.

the family called for it , they matter, you dont

• Sad 3

14 minutes ago, jvi said:

the family called for it , they matter, you dont

Sad you can't see stupidity right in front of you. It's a man's eulogy not a political rally. It's uncalled for. Here are the many great deeds of Mr. Lewis. And don't forget to vote for Joe.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Retired said:

Heres one for the older guys.  Anyone else tired of not getting enough sex? Like in the younger days?  Haha. 

Reminds me of an old joke...................Him:  You been gettin' any on the side?          Me;  Hell, it's been so long, I didn't know they moved it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jvi said:

you seem to support this guy who is all negative comments and nasty name calling,  just saying....

I said nothing negative about Mr Lewis. I said I didn't like what Former Pres. Obama did at his eulogy. I and many people think it was in bad taste to turn an mans eulogy into a political rally. You obviously see otherwise.  I can fight my own battles and don't need members of the forum to bail me out. How about at your wake we have a used car salesmen come up and try to sell a car? Talk about the mans life and accomplishments and not a political agenda. Its a totally inappropriate time to do so.  Can't we leave politics out for just an hour especially at such an event. Its a funeral/wake/eulogy, how do you not see that? Just cause you want to disagree with everything I say.

Ringo is still a great drummer. I'm not sure if you were aware?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, jvi said:

Ringo is a great drummer, yer right there.

I know. Have all the stuff he did with that group he was with for a few years. They had a hit or two. Then I got the album where he is standing on a spaceship and the one with him drawn on the cover standing next to a little angel. 

He was drumming so hard he got blisters on his fingers. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

24 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I know. Have all the stuff he did with that group he was with for a few years. They had a hit or two. Then I got the album where he is standing on a spaceship and the one with him drawn on the cover standing next to a little angel. 

He was drumming so hard he got blisters on his fingers. 

the album "Ringo" 1973 , had a great line up and some killer art by Klaus Voorman, one of his best with many guests  (even a Canadian !)  as Ringo would say -  peace ...

Edited by jvi
puncuation
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jvi said:

the album "Ringo" 1973 , had a great line up and some killer art by Klaus Voorman, one of his best with many guests  (even a Canadian !)  as Ringo would say -  peace ...

I know I have it and Goodnight Vienna on Apple on vinyl. Yeah, Danko , Hudson, and Robertson were on it.  I think they are all on the same song.

13 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I said nothing negative about Mr Lewis. I said I didn't like what Former Pres. Obama did at his eulogy. I and many people think it was in bad taste to turn an mans eulogy into a political rally. You obviously see otherwise.  I can fight my own battles and don't need members of the forum to bail me out. How about at your wake we have a used car salesmen come up and try to sell a car? Talk about the mans life and accomplishments and not a political agenda. Its a totally inappropriate time to do so.  Can't we leave politics out for just an hour especially at such an event. Its a funeral/wake/eulogy, how do you not see that? Just cause you want to disagree with everything I say.

Ringo is still a great drummer. I'm not sure if you were aware?

Amen!................................I agree on Ringo also.  Personally, I think he got better after The Beatles split and he started doing his own thing.  He was able to highlight his skiils.  He was more than a drummer.  He was a writer, an arranger, a teacher, a band leader.   Kind of like George.  He wasn't in the shadow of Lennon and McCartney anymore and didn't have to play the role of the loyal sidekick.......I recall an interview where McCartney was asked something about why they kept Ringo to be their drummer when there were a lot of great drummers available.  McCartney said, "Because he's a Beatle,."

On 7/31/2020 at 2:58 PM, Mr. Gibson said:

I'm tired of a former President turning a eulogy into a political speech. If I was the family I'd be angry. I thought he was smarter than that.

Perhaps if the current President actually showed up once in a while to pay some respect, there would be no need for this type of 'political' speech.   

NCB -    He was not invited to Lewis' funeral.  Maybe he was told he was not wanted.   You might remember  John McCain expressly directed his family that Trump not be allowed to attend his funeral.  Lewis boycotted Trump's  inauguration, calling  him an 'illegitimate president''.   Lewis more recently refused to attend the opening of the Missiissippi Civil Rights museum because Trump was going to be there.    

So - there's two sides to every story.      Fact remains -  Obama  gave what was a a purely political speech, and one that was divisive in memory of a man whose legacy is hoped will be one of trying to unify people.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinch said:

I want a used-car salesman presiding at my funeral. "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust... and, speaking of cheap off-road vehicles..."

Didn't watch it. Care to summarize?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/30/us/politics/john-lewis-funeral-barack-obama.html

And yeah I'm sure the orange guy wasn't invited.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

12 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

He wasn't overly technical on any track.  He played to support the vocal line.  His playing would have been out of place in a band like Rush, just like Peart would have been out of place in the Beatles.  "Put away the rototoms Neil, this is 'Love Me Do'.  

He was what The Beatles need, a backbeat.

Neil had every possible percussive thing in his kit and then one more. Saw them 8 times. Jammed A Farewell To Kings yesterday. That I'm not tired of...

Edited by Sgt. Pepper