Gibson Brands Forums

Neck Up Straps

kidblast

I ordered one of these a few days ago.

It came in the mail yesterday,.

unique and effective.  it's a big improvement for playing sitting down.  maybe more than big,  huge kinda..  playing standing up, well not so much...

for those intrigued...  Web Site

• Thanks 1

ME, After several hours of using this, I like it a lot.  You have to adjust from one guitar to the next, as body size has a lot to do with how it will sit on your leg.

John,  that is quite the innovative design.  I wonder how comfortable that would be tho..  those edges, ya know?

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

ME, After several hours of using this, I like it a lot.  You have to adjust from one guitar to the next, as body size has a lot to do with how it will sit on your leg.

John,  that is quite the innovative design.  I wonder how comfortable that would be tho..  those edges, ya know?

So did you use a footstool before? If so, this must be better right?

18 hours ago, jdgm said:

These (expensive) German-made ones are used by some very fine classical players and are available in UK -

https://www.londonguitarstudio.com/accessories-new-amazing-guitarlift.irc

Look like a great invention to me.....should keep the guitar completely still.

Also it will minimize body damping!

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

So did you use a footstool before? If so, this must be better right?

No I didn't,,   I've read that foot stools can cause back issues and posture probs.  so I've never tried one, instead I used a regular strap,  which can get cumbersome  if I had to move around a lot (like setting mics, or stuff for recording etc.) where you need to put the guitar down for a few.  This eliminated that entirely.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ChanMan said:

Interesting!  Also did not know about these. Seems a good idea... wonder if they have something like this for flying Vs?

the do have some that are suitable for "non" acoustic, and a V would definitely benefit.  The more I use this, the more I think I like it.

On 7/25/2020 at 6:07 PM, kidblast said:

I ordered one of these a few days ago.

It came in the mail yesterday,.

unique and effective.  it's a big improvement for playing sitting down.  maybe more than big,  huge kinda..  playing standing up, well not so much...

for those intrigued...  Web Site

I've been using a similar item - for classical guitar - for some years now. Will never use a foot-stool again.
Like night and day, as they say! 

EDIT:
I use this "Ergoplay", which also has vacuum sucker cups and stays on the guitar when you play and when you don't.

https://www.amazon.com/ErgoPlay-Tröster-Support-Right-Handed-Players/dp/B00AW4TPJQ/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=ergoplay&qid=1595876993&sr=8-2

Edited by OrdinaryNimda
More data

The Ergoplay looks pretty wild.  Seems to a low for all kinds of adjustments.  The neck up strap does as well, just a small amount of change to the length of the strap changes where the suction cup will attach to the side bout, this will alter the angle the guitar will set on you quite a bit.

For me, it is so much easier than using a regular strap or trying to find a comfortable seating position that keeps the hands in good form.   I don't know why I waited so long to spring for one of these.

Ergoplay is very customizable (height and also both slant axes), though usable only on classical and dreadnaught.

Foot-stool usage creates back pain, but also numbs the left leg in prolonged sessions. With Ergoplay (or similar), playing for like 4 hours straight  leaves NO physical problems. All one has to do is play the guitar. Pure joy! 🤠 Highly recommended for guitar players of all sizes & all ages.

2 hours ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

With Ergoplay (or similar), playing for like 4 hours straight  leaves NO physical problems. All one has to do is play the guitar. 

I do think they look silly, but this statement right here might be the one that gets me over the hump.  After playing sitting down for any time my back always hurts...  would be nice not to deal with that.  Will ponder it for a day or so, then probably get one.  Do they come with poindexter glasses?

Uncle Fester, you will be delighted by this "contraption". And it takes only 3 minutes to get used to it. (sadly not for electric guitars)

I had to look-up Pointdexter glasses. And I learned a lesson - looks like they do not come with a nose and moustache. 😄 

If it makes playing easier it has to be good. I remember a 58 Les Paul back in the 70's. someone I knew had it and the back was covered in leather, It was shaped to the guitar and only had a couple of fixing. But it totally protected the guitar. I looked for one but never found one. 

Speaking of Tone Leather, I have always heard that mid-western cowhide affords a certain warmth for that Andrés Segovia woman-tone, whereas that crafted by EU tanners tends to reward the player with a more biting, fizzy Julian Bream throaty-tone. 

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now. 

😔

• Like 1