Gibson Brands Forums

1974 Twentieth Anniversary Les Paul Custom is it a legit Gibson?

Paradoxx54

Hey, I found a seller of a 1974  Twentieth Anniversary Les Paul custom. He told me it was the second off the production line based on the serial number which is 3705072. There are some images attached.

I've never heard of Gibson doing a 2nd off the production line serial numbers and every online decoder has been unable to verify if this thing is real.

Just want to make sure what I'm buying is a real Gibson. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

SerialNum2.jpg

The serial number is 307507. This guitar is a “factory second”; it would have had some minor cosmetic flaw. It’s impossible to say what that flaw might have been. Gibson sold many factory seconds in the 60s and 70s. 

I don’t know if the seller is intentionally giving you bad information or if they are genuinely misinformed, but the story he told you about it being second in production has not one grain of truth. 

1 hour ago, ksdaddy said:

The serial number is 307507. This guitar is a “factory second”; it would have had some minor cosmetic flaw. It’s impossible to say what that flaw might have been. Gibson sold many factory seconds in the 60s and 70s. 

I don’t know if the seller is intentionally giving you bad information or if they are genuinely misinformed, but the story he told you about it being second in production has not one grain of truth. 

straight up!

4 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

Thank you so much! It seems then the serial number has been misprinted on the headstock. When it comes to the minor cosmetic flaw, he showed me an image of a knot in the wood on the top of the guitar.

If I were to purchase this guitar I would definitely try and get the neck to look much better than it currently does. What is the value on something like this? He told me he replaced all the hardware except for the pickups and knobs. The finish and the rest of the body look pretty good for its age actually. He's selling it for $1500.

17 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Not the greatest neck-break repair either...is it even straight?

Take care!

He said he did it himself lol. He sent me a video of him playing it just last night and it sounds good. If I were to purchase this guitar I would need to take it to a luthier to get the headstock looking the way it should. 

20 minutes ago, Paradoxx54 said:It seems then the serial number has been misprinted on the headstock. When it comes to the minor cosmetic flaw, he showed me an image of a knot in the wood on the top of the guitar.

Not a misprint. That is the serial number and is consistent with that era. The “2” indicates a factory second.