Gibson Brands Forums

Those Who Wait, Tommy E.

kidblast

That is an awesome video!  Never heard this before.  The guy truly is one of the Masters.  His style is very human and expressive.  This song is definitely in the old “easy listening” genre, but judging by the title and how he plays it, I think it’s intended to be more than easy-on-the-ears.  For me, his playing and this song is very relaxing and offers hope..  Without words he writes a story, that to me says “Be patient!  Take your time!  Keep your eyes on your goal!  Stay positive!  Wait, give it time!  If it’s worthwhile, it’s worth waiting for.”  That’s how I kind of interpret what the song title and his expressive style are telling me.  “Those Who Wait”——-waiting for a job you want, waiting for love, waiting for a son/daughter in the army, or as Crystal Gayle would say, “Waiting For The Times To Get Better.”........Sweet, sweet song that speaks volumes without saying a word.....On a sad note—-ask someone on the street about Tommy and they’ll say, “Who?”

I saw him on LBI in New Jersey (Starlight Theater) in October 2012... before Hurricane Sandy. There were perhaps 40 people who showed. Tommy knew the owners well, and liked playing the venue for their benefit.

I was 15 feet away as my buddy and I watched him, with the flu, slay it for two hours.

he is an amazing talent, and he is warm and friendly.

Oh I will ever attempt a TE song... ha

Edited by Salfromchatham

Tommy is an amazing talent, and from all the vids I've seen of this guy, he's a real down to earth, very likable guy.   I would love to got to one of his shows.

Not my first rodeo with learning pieces like this.  If you break things it down, and focus on one part at a time,  it takes time at first, but it does make sense if you stay with it.

But it seems like this one is going to be brutal!    The whole Patience thing that Larry mentioned is apropos for this kind of endeavor. 

Buc thx for the link, I realized after I posted that I forgot to do that,...

Edited by kidblast

Nice KB, I've got a couple of those multi year efforts going.  I just started working on the solo for SRVs Mary Had a Little Lamb...   this will be a  2 year effort for myself anyways but there's a slew of new licks etc...  I'm looking forward to conquering - enjoy your TE journey, maybe we can encourage a clip or two as you progress.

1 minute ago, uncle fester said:

Nice KB, I've got a couple of those multi year efforts going.  I just started working on the solo for SRVs Mary Had a Little Lamb...   this will be a  2 year effort for myself anyways but there's a slew of new licks etc...  I'm looking forward to conquering - enjoy your TE journey, maybe we can encourage a clip or two as you progress.

Ya man!  Stay with it,, it all comes eventually.  some times there are no shortcuts to some of this material. 

13 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I got tickets to see him. It was originally supposed to be in  April or May, then postponed to September, now postponed to May 2021.  So never.  

Same here, i was to see in him in Oct...even though I have seen him four times and met him etc..I always look forward to seeing him.   I was planning to take the wife as she has yet to see him.  Next year!

11 hours ago, QuestionMark said:

King of the flat-top guitarist hill, in my opinion!

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

Maybe second as Richard Thompson is still alive and kickin'.   Never mind me, I am just sitting around nursing a dog who managed to go though a plate glass window Sunday so am a bit ornery.

Edited by zombywoof

53 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Maybe second as Richard Thompson is still alive and kickin'.   Never mind me, I am just sitting around nursing a dog who managed to go though a plate glass window Sunday so am a bit ornery.

Oh geeze...  poor pup..  hope he/she heals up ok...

15 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Thanks for asking.   Idiot boy went through not one but two sliding  plate glass windows.   But they stitched him up and it looks like he will be OK.

holy smokes...  sounds like where ever he was heading,, he felt he really needed to get there!!!

Hope all is well...

17 minutes ago, kidblast said:

holy smokes...  sounds like where ever he was heading,, he felt he really needed to get there!!!

Hope all is well...

Bogart (his name) was riding with the angels on this one because if he had come straight down on the bottom of the window frames he would have impaled himself on the jagged glass 

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

Bogart (his name) was riding with the angels on this one because if he had come straight down on the bottom of the window frames he would have impaled himself on the jagged glass 

I was wondering about that..  I'm very glad you didn't have THAT kind of story to tell us..  man that would have been aweful.  I love that name!  one of my friends had a hound with that name but we all called him Bogy.  A tan / brown Shepard, 

Edited by kidblast

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

I was wondering about that..  I'm very glad you didn't have THAT kind of story to tell us..  man that would have been aweful.  I love that name!  one of my friends had a hound with that name but we all called him Bogy.  A tan / brown Shepard, 

We had a tough time naming this guy so he was just known as Hey You for a. while.   Usually we go with a name of a President from the state we are in.  So in Kansas it was Ike and our first dog here in Ohio got tagged with McKinley or Mac for short.  With this guy though we decided to go a different route.  Early on he  started to  figure he was the toughest S.O.B. in the valley.   So we decided to give him the ultimate tough guy name.  

Edited by zombywoof