Gibson Brands Forums

Favourite electric guitar

TomG76

For many decades I played a 1958 Tele.  Others came and went but that one stayed.    

About 15 years back though I stopped playing electrics.   The only electric guitars that remained with me are a pair of lap steels which I plug into a Standel amp.

Trioon-Sofa015-zps95876f58.jpg

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

Years back I owned a Gretsch Country Gentleman... It was a royal pain to keep tuned... and that Bigsby Whammy threw it out all the time.

A Bigsby can be cantankerous if not setup right........and they never were meant for Van Halen style gymnastics.  (The secret with a Bigsby on a Gretsch:  use the Rocking Bar bridge.)  Having been through dozens of electric guitars in the years I played out, the Gretsch 6120 was the one for me.  Lightweight with a warm, clean tone, short scale.......perfect.  Strats, Teles, Les Pauls, SGs......all fine instruments, but the 6120 was IT for me.

diJ9Feo.jpg

Edited by Buc McMaster
  • Like 1

I've been purging some of my guitars including the electrics. My current electric stable is Gibson Les Paul,  Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gentleman, Fender Tele Select, '60's Teisco, Ovation Tornado. 
The Chet would be my favorite. 

Edited by Dave F
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, TomG76 said:

We absolutely have a similar taste. I ADORE Jason Isbell. In fact in my one and only gig to date, I played Speed Trap Town as one of my songs.

Do you know John Moreland? He's awesome too. I'd now be surprised if you didn't like him.

Moreland, yes. I've seen him open for Isbell a few years back. Very good too.

Why don't you post a version of Speed Trap Town with your new Gibson, would love to hear it. When it comes to lyrics, that song is just unbelievably good. John Mayer wrote on twitter about Isbell that “he lives at a level where even great writers can only visit”. I tend to agree.

Back on topic, my desktop amp is the Yamaha THR5, and for use at home this is really all that is needed. Same as yours? Even the smallest combo tube amp will be too loud for home use, and those amps sound crap at low levels. They are designed to be turned up, while the tiny desktop amps are designed to be turned down. I use my THR5 when I want to do my songs electric and sing without mic at the same time.

Lars

42 minutes ago, Lars68 said:

Moreland, yes. I've seen him open for Isbell a few years back. Very good too.

Why don't you post a version of Speed Trap Town with your new Gibson, would love to hear it. When it comes to lyrics, that song is just unbelievably good. John Mayer wrote on twitter about Isbell that “he lives at a level where even great writers can only visit”. I tend to agree.

Back on topic, my desktop amp is the Yamaha THR5, and for use at home this is really all that is needed. Same as yours? Even the smallest combo tube amp will be too loud for home use, and those amps sound crap at low levels. They are designed to be turned up, while the tiny desktop amps are designed to be turned down. I use my THR5 when I want to do my songs electric and sing without mic at the same time.

Lars

Yes, that's the amp I've got too. I also have a half share in a bigger amp, from a band I was in that lasted about a fortnight. Turns out that I'm much happier playing solo, although I love the camaraderie of playing songs with other people, and enjoy playing with a good lead guitarist.

I've just recorded a version of Speed Trap Town and will post it in the Acoustic Performance section once it's uploaded! I always feel a bit hesitant about covering Isbell's songs, as I do with James Taylor, but it's good to push oneself a bit.

43 minutes ago, Lars68 said:

......   Back on topic, my desktop amp is the Yamaha THR5, and for use at home this is really all that is needed. Same as yours? Even the smallest combo tube amp will be too loud for home use, and those amps sound crap at low levels. They are designed to be turned up, while the tiny desktop amps are designed to be turned down. ....

I recently traded off my Fender Deluxe Reverb in a guitar deal and bought a Twin Reverb Tone Master. Has a variable wattage switch which is nice for home use. You can turn it down and turn up the volume and get whatever sound you want.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I recently traded off my Fender Deluxe Reverb in a guitar deal and bought a Twin Reverb Tone Master. Has a variable wattage switch which is nice for home use. You can turn it down and turn up the volume and get whatever sound you want.  

First to the start topic: I came from acoustic guitars (Ibanez Hummingbird Clone) to electric guitars - mostly Squiers and later Fenders which I still have and love - including some Precision Basses. Then I came back to acoustic guitars - Martins and Gibsons (more Gibsons than Martins) and the Gibson acoustics brought me to Gibson electric guitars which I did not like so much before (short scale length, price). At the end I have a Les Paul Junior in TV Yellow which is a great guitar with an unexpected "fresh" sound for me with the wrap around bridge and the P90s and since Corona times a Les Paul Standard in HCS - a classical thing, price ok, quality very good. But of course I still love my Telecasters - more than Strats as they are too complex  🙂

DaveF - I still have some Deluxe Reverbs and Princeton Reverbs with Tubes and I will keep them, but I have a Deluxe Reverb Tonemaster since some weeks and it is the main amp in my rehearsal room at the moment. Sounds good for me, the "volume reduction" works and it still sounds ok and the weight is unbelievable low - ideal for older musicians who have to carry PA equipment, monitors and the own guitar equipment from the car to the stage - and back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomG76 said:

Yes, that's the amp I've got too. I also have a half share in a bigger amp, from a band I was in that lasted about a fortnight. Turns out that I'm much happier playing solo, although I love the camaraderie of playing songs with other people, and enjoy playing with a good lead guitarist.

I've just recorded a version of Speed Trap Town and will post it in the Acoustic Performance section once it's uploaded! I always feel a bit hesitant about covering Isbell's songs, as I do with James Taylor, but it's good to push oneself a bit.

I added my murderous rendition of Speed Trap Town to the acoustic performance section. 

https://forum.gibson.com/topic/60851-your-acoustical-performances/page/45/#comments

Well having retired from rock band action about 6 months ago I sold off most of my electrics, but the two that I kept are a LP Standard and a CS ES356:

a6Na9ii.jpg

RKnKRPk.jpg

A Strat or a Tele is a good keeper too, but since the Strat I had was nothing special I sold it off.  If I get a chance to perform in a band again I have everything I need pretty much with the 356, but I couldn't let that Les Paul go, at least not yet.

Traded my creamy white Les Paul Custom for my 'Bird and some cash at Norman's but currently I have two electric favs.
My partscaster I built myself (think SRV or Mayer's black one) Custom shop neck and pickups. Notice the Cobra snake strap I made!

RsKS5m2.jpg

and my Korean Wolf LP I bought brand new for (wait for it) $139.00!! So beautiful and set up in LA by the importer a 10 pound beast that plays like butter and looks like a dream!

Qdiq1sA.jpg?2

I use both when I jam with the boys but the 'bird gets the most attention on the couch or patio.

On 8/1/2020 at 9:58 AM, Holiday Hoser said:

Traded my creamy white Les Paul Custom for my 'Bird and some cash at Norman's but currently I have two electric favs.
My partscaster I built myself (think SRV or Mayer's black one) Custom shop neck and pickups. Notice the Cobra snake strap I made!

RsKS5m2.jpg

and my Korean Wolf LP I bought brand new for (wait for it) $139.00!! So beautiful and set up in LA by the importer a 10 pound beast that plays like butter and looks like a dream!

Qdiq1sA.jpg?2

I use both when I jam with the boys but the 'bird gets the most attention on the couch or patio.

Great work!

I have 1 LP and 3 Strats(59,62 and 011 deluxe ash. 2 of my strats are retired and don't get out much.Ya'll guess which ones they are. Hint, both bought from pawn shops for about 350 each in early 70's.

Carvin sh550 and my sweet little 55 Sherwood deluxe lap steel. On the acoustic side. A 72 Alvarez dread bought new in 73. Then my electrics for 40 years. (See above) 3 yrs ago a HD28 and last week a southern jumbo. I like Toy caldwell,Steve Gaines, leo kotke and Chet.SRV & EVH . To many to list.my favorite is the 59. Birth year.

Edited by 12MoreGuitars
Forgot to list favorite
  • Like 1