Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

IanHenry

I've bought myself a Remirez classical guitar as I've decided to re engage with classical after many years. 

I used to take lessons but when I asked my tutor "how long it would be before I could play Concierto de Aranjuez  by Rodrigo",  he asked me "at what age did you start playing classical" I told him in my 20's and he replied "never"!  I told him "your not really selling this are you mate" and sacked him.  I learned the piece myself by ear🙂

PZyTWdd.jpg

krPEwLH.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies. Yes Sgt Pepper it is a Jose Remirez, but it's the bottom of their range (I don't think I'm a top of the range guitar player🙂). I think maybe your paying a little for the name, but there you go!

I bought the guitar new from an authorised dealer,  but the date on the label inside says 2010. I guess the turnover in the classical market isn't that fast.

During my youth I wandered up a street in Granada, Spain  ( Cuesta de Gomerez ) and found Luthiers on both sides of the street, of course I went into one of them.

It's funny because when you go in the guy closes and locks the door behind you. He then asked me which guitar I'd like to try. After a while with me fumbling around with it He took it from me and demonstrated how it should be played and I thought then that I really want to learn this (He couldn't play Smoke on the Water though😀).

The guy in the shop was called Francisco Manuel Díaz and his shop counter was also his workbench, it's a really cool place.

Also if you wander around the old quarter of Granada during the Siesta you can hear people in their houses playing and dancing flamenco. It's a place you've got to visit

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IanHenry said:

Thanks for the replies. Yes Sgt Pepper it is a Jose Remirez, but it's the bottom of their range (I don't think I'm a top of the range guitar player🙂). I think maybe your paying a little for the name, but there you go!

I bought the guitar new from an authorised dealer,  but the date on the label inside says 2010. I guess the turnover in the classical market isn't that fast.

During my youth I wandered up a street in Granada, Spain  ( Cuesta de Gomerez ) and found Luthiers on both sides of the street, of course I went into one of them.

It's funny because when you go in the guy closes and locks the door behind you. He then asked me which guitar I'd like to try. After a while with me fumbling around with it He took it from me and demonstrated how it should be played and I thought then that I really want to learn this (He couldn't play Smoke on the Water though😀).

The guy in the shop was called Francisco Manuel Díaz and his shop counter was also his workbench, it's a really cool place.

Also if you wander around the old quarter of Granada during the Siesta you can hear people in their houses playing and dancing flamenco. It's a place you've got to visit

Been to Spain. 08 was when I went. Went to the Alhambra. I think that was in Granada. 

Very nice.  Congrats.  My first guitar teacher was a Senior at the University of Arizona, double majoring in Music Performance and some medical-related major.  I attended his classical guitar performance prior to graduation.  I also saw him playing with 80s rock band at a club near the campus.  I was amazed at how he was able play so well in both genres.  I would be happy to play half as well in either genre.

Just as a point of interest, if anyone fancies having a go at classical guitar, I can highly recommend "Solo Guitar Playing Book 1" by Frederick M Noad  ISBN 10: 0-8256-9400-0. It's seems to be considered the go to book for learning classical guitar and I'm finding the lesson very informative and enjoyable to follow.    

1 hour ago, IanHenry said:

Just as a point of interest, if anyone fancies having a go at classical guitar, I can highly recommend "Solo Guitar Playing Book 1" by Frederick M Noad  ISBN 10: 0-8256-9400-0. It's seems to be considered the go to book for learning classical guitar and I'm finding the lesson very informative and enjoyable to follow.    

A prerequisite would being able to sight read I think. I cant. I mostly 'fake it'. 

That is a very nice looking guitar and I bet it has a beautiful tone as well.  I have a classical guitar built by German violin maker Wathari Mittenwald.  I bought it new in 1965 in Brussels for 2000 Belgian francs which at the time was $40 American.  By far the most expensive guitar I had purchased up to that point.   I never learned how to play any classical or flamenco pieces, but enjoyed it nonetheless.  It has had it's share of abuse over 55 years, but still plays and sounds pretty good.  Anyway enjoy that Ramirez it's a beauty 🙂  

Wow, Ian! That's a nice guitar! I have always wanted a Ramirez but, could never afford one. I hope that you enjoy it. It's nice to be able to play something on the guitar that is complete on its own. Anyway, you may want to look at "Melodious and Progressive Etudes for Guitar" by Matteo Carcassi ( also known as the Carcassi studies)and "Etudes Simples" by Leo Brouwer. Some very nice and mostly manageable pieces that also improve technical facility. They only contain the music though so, Noad's book(s) will be needed until you can read a bit. The Noad books are great because they start at the very beginning and contain a wide variety of beautiful pieces from many different time periods. Good Luck!

Edited by G Mac

I think the Spaniards  would not approve how how Lindsey does it. I was in the 2nd row when I saw him in NC. He's on a nylon string guitar (it's even a Gibson), making it his Be-I-Itch.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

36 minutes ago, IanHenry said:

I didn't know Gibson had ever made a nylon string guitar!

Alice and Fleetwood Mac, two of my favourite live acts, I don't think I'll go to see FM with their latest line up though.

I think its a Chet Atkins signature model. Yeah screw the Mac without LB. He is/was the most talented guy in the group. When you need 2 guys to replace one...that says something.