Gibson Brands Forums

Hidden Or Hard To Hear Stuff On Albums

Sgt. Pepper

Some of you may know this, I didn't.  I have been listening to Pink Floyd - The Wall since it came out. I remember buying it, and The Eagles - The Long Run at Tower Records before Xmas in '79. I just learned that if you play the last few seconds of Outside The Wall, loud or listen really close you hear "Isn't This Where"  and if you do the same thing with In The Flesh? in the first few seconds you hear "We Came In". And its the same music looping together.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

There was some hard to hear stuff on some Beatle songs.  I forget which song it was, but supposedly they were saying something like "Paul is dead."  I thought I heard it a few times, but I don't know if I really heard it or if it was the power of suggestion telling me I heard it.....lol.......Makes me think of how me and my buddies used to play Louie Louie real slow trying to catch the dirty words.....lol.......I was so damn disappointed  later when I learned the song was an old sea shanty and not a sex-filled ode for teenage boys to lust over.

1 minute ago, MissouriPicker said:

There was some hard to hear stuff on some Beatle songs.  I forget which song it was, but supposedly they were saying something like "Paul is dead."  I thought I heard it a few times, but I don't know if I really heard it or if it was the power of suggestion telling me I heard it.....lol.......Makes me think of how me and my buddies used to play Louie Louie real slow trying to catch the dirty words.....lol.......I was so damn disappointed  later when I learned the song was an old sea shanty and not a sex-filled ode for teenage boys to lust over.

If you listen to Yellow Submarine, Ringo messes up once and says Slub-marine.  My friend did not believe me. We took some illegal things The Beatles would have taken during the making of Sgt. Pepper, and I made him listen to it over and over until and he finally heard it. Once you do its there in your mind forever.

They did a lot of stuff for their own kicks.

There's some faint talking going on  in the background of Steely Dan "Peg". 

I wouldn't say it was purposely hidden, but if you listen through headphones to Since I've Been Loving You, you can hear Bonham's bass pedal squeaking.  Must have been a really close mic.

Of a different kind....the deplorably bad vocal mix on In The Evening so as you can't properly make out the Plants vocals on what would be the obvious single from its album. I have never understood how that mix got released [confused]

4 hours ago, 'Scales said:

Of a different kind....the deplorably bad vocal mix on In The Evening so as you can't properly make out the Plants vocals on what would be the obvious single from its album. I have never understood how that mix got released [confused]

Plant is a mumbler.

Fool In The Rain is the only good song on that album.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

36 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Plant is a mumbler.

I've always liked In Through The Out Door. I'm Gonna Crawl is one of my favorite solos by Jimmy. 

But as far as Scales comment, yeah In The Evening verses are totally obscured. I read that they did that intentionally, but I don't know why.  

47 minutes ago, saturn said:

I've always liked In Through The Out Door. I'm Gonna Crawl is one of my favorite solos by Jimmy. 

But as far as Scales comment, yeah In The Evening verses are totally obscured. I read that they did that intentionally, but I don't know why.  

I can make out some of it. Presence for me was it. I knew we were in trouble after that one. I know All My Love was him pouring his heart out to his son who passed away, but to me it reminds me of couples skate at a roller rink. I listen to it about once every 5 years and remember why I didn't listen to it for 5 years.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

10 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

On "Third Stone From the Sun" (Hendrix) there are some hard to hear vocals in the beginning (a conversation between two space ships): 

"Star fleet to scout ship, please give your position. Over.
I'm in orbit around the third planet from the star known as 'Sun'. Over.
You must mean Earth? Over.
Positive. It is known to have some form of intelligent species. Over.
I think we should take a look."

There is also this poetry that is repeated under the main guitar solo but with the speed slowed down significantly: 

"Strange beautiful grass of green,
With your majestic silver seas
Your mysterious mountains I wish to see closer
May I land my kinky machine?"

I would post a YouTube video but it appears someone has clamped down hard on that copyright. 

I always though the beginning was Jimi making guitar noises. I just listened to it a few time with head phones. It is audible. 

9 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Plant is a mumbler.

It could be that he struggled with vocal pitch on that one, as to be honest it's not much better live and I think it would have been the obvious rock radio song from the album. I listen to ITTOD probably at the same rate as most of Zep's albums...couple of times a year I suppose. It doesn't really ever seem like them to me - as background music it's ok, but it's Led Zeppelin only in name. I suspect I would have liked their next album more if it had happened as Page wanted to get back to rock. We'll never know. I liked Presence fwiw.

39 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

It could be that he struggled with vocal pitch on that one, as to be honest it's not much better live and I think it would have been the obvious rock radio song from the album. I listen to ITTOD probably at the same rate as most of Zep's albums...couple of times a year I suppose. It doesn't really ever seem like them to me - as background music it's ok, but it's Led Zeppelin only in name. I suspect I would have liked their next album more if it had happened as Page wanted to get back to rock. We'll never know. I liked Presence fwiw.

Why they pussed out is beyond me. Presence has some great stuff and some stuff that should have been left off. It's the only Zep album with no keys on it. The song 10 Ribs & All / Carrot Pod Pod (Pod) from the extra disc from when Jimmy remastered everything a few years back is really cool. I would rather have that on the album.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

On the vinyl LP on Dark Side of the Moon, after the scat singing at the end  then the engineer says something like "that was no jam session".

Wasn't the engineer Alan Parsons who started his own Project?

21 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Why they pussed out is beyond me. Presence has some great stuff and some stuff that should have been left off. It's the only Zep album with no keys on it. The song 10 Ribs & All / Carrots Pod Pod (Pod) from the extra disc from when Jimmy remastered everything a few years back is really cool. I would rather have that on the album.

An additional problem they faced with Presence (as if they didn't have enough) was that they'd used everything they had on Physical Graffiti -  if PG had been an awesome single album then i can imagine a version of Presence that had Achilles, Nobodys Fault, For Your Life, Tea for One ...plus Sick Again, Wanton Song and Custard Pie - 3 songs which would have totally suited Presence ...and that would have been an album i would truly love - a real rocker with their signature extended blues song included.

1 minute ago, 'Scales said:

An additional problem they faced with Presence (as if they didn't have enough) was that they'd used everything they had on Physical Graffiti -  if PG had been an awesome single album then i can imagine a version of Presence that had Achilles, Nobodys Fault, For Your Life, Tea for One ...plus Sick Again, Wanton Song and Custard Pie - 3 songs which would have totally suited Presence ...and that would have been an album i would truly love - a real rocker with their signature extended blues song included.

PG is the Zep album. I think the problem with Presence is Jimmy thought it would be a great idea to start doing smack. 

At about :37  on Speak To Me someone says, right after the clock starts ticking "I've been mad for fuking years, absolutely years. I've been over the edge for yonks, been working with bands so long. I think 'Crikey"

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

Nothing wrong with the guitar on Presence to my ears. PG is indeed the album(s). 

I dig Presence, it just could have been a lot better. And Plant had and accident and was singing in a wheelchair. 

'Your Move' from The Yes Album uses the chorus "All we are saying is give peace a chance" from the John Lennon Plastic Ono Band song, it's buried down deep in the mix.

Here's what Wikipedia reads,

The first part of the song, "Your Move", alludes to the game of chess as a metaphor for male–female relationships.[4] Examples include the phrases "move me onto any black square", "make the white queen run so fast", and "the goal is for us all to capture only one".

A reference to John Lennon's work is in the lyric "send that instant karma to me", with "Instant Karma!" being a single released by Lennon in 1970. Also, the sentence "All we are saying is give peace a chance" is heard in the organ part before switching to "All Good People", referencing another Lennon song, "Give Peace a Chance". More generally, Anderson has stated that the line "'cause it's time, it's time in time with your time" was an attempt to say that he would "do anything that is required of me to reach God" and that he wants the listener to feel "in tune and in time with God."[6] Just before the three-minute mark of the song, at the final part of "Your Move", the chorus of Lennon's "Give Peace a Chance" can be heard in the background

Edited by Brucebubs

The Allmans generally recorded live in a warehouse.  Lots of stuff in headphones on their records.  Dickey and Duane breathing on Little Martha, and their feet on the floor.  The late records, 90's I guess, lots of sounds of chairs moving and people talking in the background.

Used to be a throat clearing in the great Thorn Tree In The Garden on the Layla record, I think modern versions have cleaned it out.  They shoulda taken out Duane's entire track on the back end of Layla.

rct

2 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

'Your Move' from The Yes Album uses the chorus "All we are saying is give peace a chance" from the John Lennon Plastic Ono Band song, it's buried down deep in the mix.

Here's what Wikipedia reads,

The first part of the song, "Your Move", alludes to the game of chess as a metaphor for male–female relationships.[4] Examples include the phrases "move me onto any black square", "make the white queen run so fast", and "the goal is for us all to capture only one".

A reference to John Lennon's work is in the lyric "send that instant karma to me", with "Instant Karma!" being a single released by Lennon in 1970. Also, the sentence "All we are saying is give peace a chance" is heard in the organ part before switching to "All Good People", referencing another Lennon song, "Give Peace a Chance". More generally, Anderson has stated that the line "'cause it's time, it's time in time with your time" was an attempt to say that he would "do anything that is required of me to reach God" and that he wants the listener to feel "in tune and in time with God."[6] Just before the three-minute mark of the song, at the final part of "Your Move", the chorus of Lennon's "Give Peace a Chance" can be heard in the background

Move on back two squares. I've heard the Give Peace A Chance in that song for decades. Love Yes. Till Drama.