Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums
Sgt. Pepper

Hidden Or Hard To Hear Stuff On Albums

Recommended Posts

Some of you may know this, I didn't.  I have been listening to Pink Floyd - The Wall since it came out. I remember buying it, and The Eagles - The Long Run at Tower Records before Xmas in '79. I just learned that if you play the last few seconds of Outside The Wall, loud or listen really close you hear "Isn't This Where"  and if you do the same thing with In The Flesh? in the first few seconds you hear "We Came In". And its the same music looping together.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was some hard to hear stuff on some Beatle songs.  I forget which song it was, but supposedly they were saying something like "Paul is dead."  I thought I heard it a few times, but I don't know if I really heard it or if it was the power of suggestion telling me I heard it.....lol.......Makes me think of how me and my buddies used to play Louie Louie real slow trying to catch the dirty words.....lol.......I was so damn disappointed  later when I learned the song was an old sea shanty and not a sex-filled ode for teenage boys to lust over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MissouriPicker said:

There was some hard to hear stuff on some Beatle songs.  I forget which song it was, but supposedly they were saying something like "Paul is dead."  I thought I heard it a few times, but I don't know if I really heard it or if it was the power of suggestion telling me I heard it.....lol.......Makes me think of how me and my buddies used to play Louie Louie real slow trying to catch the dirty words.....lol.......I was so damn disappointed  later when I learned the song was an old sea shanty and not a sex-filled ode for teenage boys to lust over.

If you listen to Yellow Submarine, Ringo messes up once and says Slub-marine.  My friend did not believe me. We took some illegal things The Beatles would have taken during the making of Sgt. Pepper, and I made him listen to it over and over until and he finally heard it. Once you do its there in your mind forever.

They did a lot of stuff for their own kicks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

 

Yeah they re-wrote The Lords Prayer for that. Best Floyd album they ever made. I love the line about Lamb Cutlets.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On "Third Stone From the Sun" (Hendrix) there are some hard to hear vocals in the beginning (a conversation between two space ships): 

"Star fleet to scout ship, please give your position. Over.
I'm in orbit around the third planet from the star known as 'Sun'. Over.
You must mean Earth? Over.
Positive. It is known to have some form of intelligent species. Over.
I think we should take a look."

There is also this poetry that is repeated under the main guitar solo but with the speed slowed down significantly: 

"Strange beautiful grass of green,
With your majestic silver seas
Your mysterious mountains I wish to see closer
May I land my kinky machine?"

I would post a YouTube video but it appears someone has clamped down hard on that copyright. 

Edited by ghost_of_fl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's some faint talking going on  in the background of Steely Dan "Peg". 

I wouldn't say it was purposely hidden, but if you listen through headphones to Since I've Been Loving You, you can hear Bonham's bass pedal squeaking.  Must have been a really close mic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of a different kind....the deplorably bad vocal mix on In The Evening so as you can't properly make out the Plants vocals on what would be the obvious single from its album. I have never understood how that mix got released [confused]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 'Scales said:

Of a different kind....the deplorably bad vocal mix on In The Evening so as you can't properly make out the Plants vocals on what would be the obvious single from its album. I have never understood how that mix got released [confused]

Plant is a mumbler.

Fool In The Rain is the only good song on that album.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rob Halford proving in court that "backwards lyrics" are often an accidental combination of sounds.  They must have listened to their entire catalog backwards to find this gem: "I asked for a peppermint.  I asked for her to get one". 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Plant is a mumbler.

Fool In The Rain is the only good song on that album.

I've always liked In Through The Out Door. I'm Gonna Crawl is one of my favorite solos by Jimmy. 

But as far as Scales comment, yeah In The Evening verses are totally obscured. I read that they did that intentionally, but I don't know why.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, saturn said:

I've always liked In Through The Out Door. I'm Gonna Crawl is one of my favorite solos by Jimmy. 

But as far as Scales comment, yeah In The Evening verses are totally obscured. I read that they did that intentionally, but I don't know why.  

I can make out some of it. Presence for me was it. I knew we were in trouble after that one. I know All My Love was him pouring his heart out to his son who passed away, but to me it reminds me of couples skate at a roller rink. I listen to it about once every 5 years and remember why I didn't listen to it for 5 years.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

On "Third Stone From the Sun" (Hendrix) there are some hard to hear vocals in the beginning (a conversation between two space ships): 

"Star fleet to scout ship, please give your position. Over.
I'm in orbit around the third planet from the star known as 'Sun'. Over.
You must mean Earth? Over.
Positive. It is known to have some form of intelligent species. Over.
I think we should take a look."

There is also this poetry that is repeated under the main guitar solo but with the speed slowed down significantly: 

"Strange beautiful grass of green,
With your majestic silver seas
Your mysterious mountains I wish to see closer
May I land my kinky machine?"

I would post a YouTube video but it appears someone has clamped down hard on that copyright. 

I always though the beginning was Jimi making guitar noises. I just listened to it a few time with head phones. It is audible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Plant is a mumbler.

Fool In The Rain is the only good song on that album.

It could be that he struggled with vocal pitch on that one, as to be honest it's not much better live and I think it would have been the obvious rock radio song from the album. I listen to ITTOD probably at the same rate as most of Zep's albums...couple of times a year I suppose. It doesn't really ever seem like them to me - as background music it's ok, but it's Led Zeppelin only in name. I suspect I would have liked their next album more if it had happened as Page wanted to get back to rock. We'll never know. I liked Presence fwiw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

It could be that he struggled with vocal pitch on that one, as to be honest it's not much better live and I think it would have been the obvious rock radio song from the album. I listen to ITTOD probably at the same rate as most of Zep's albums...couple of times a year I suppose. It doesn't really ever seem like them to me - as background music it's ok, but it's Led Zeppelin only in name. I suspect I would have liked their next album more if it had happened as Page wanted to get back to rock. We'll never know. I liked Presence fwiw.

Why they pussed out is beyond me. Presence has some great stuff and some stuff that should have been left off. It's the only Zep album with no keys on it. The song 10 Ribs & All / Carrot Pod Pod (Pod) from the extra disc from when Jimmy remastered everything a few years back is really cool. I would rather have that on the album.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the vinyl LP on Dark Side of the Moon, after the scat singing at the end  then the engineer says something like "that was no jam session".

Edited by mihcmac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

On the vinyl LP on Dark Side of the Moon, after the scat singing at the end  then the engineer says something like "that was no jam session".

Wasn't the engineer Alan Parsons who started his own Project?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Female voice: "I never said I was frightened of dying" 

 

That come at about 3:32 in the song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Why they pussed out is beyond me. Presence has some great stuff and some stuff that should have been left off. It's the only Zep album with no keys on it. The song 10 Ribs & All / Carrots Pod Pod (Pod) from the extra disc from when Jimmy remastered everything a few years back is really cool. I would rather have that on the album.

An additional problem they faced with Presence (as if they didn't have enough) was that they'd used everything they had on Physical Graffiti -  if PG had been an awesome single album then i can imagine a version of Presence that had Achilles, Nobodys Fault, For Your Life, Tea for One ...plus Sick Again, Wanton Song and Custard Pie - 3 songs which would have totally suited Presence ...and that would have been an album i would truly love - a real rocker with their signature extended blues song included.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 'Scales said:

An additional problem they faced with Presence (as if they didn't have enough) was that they'd used everything they had on Physical Graffiti -  if PG had been an awesome single album then i can imagine a version of Presence that had Achilles, Nobodys Fault, For Your Life, Tea for One ...plus Sick Again, Wanton Song and Custard Pie - 3 songs which would have totally suited Presence ...and that would have been an album i would truly love - a real rocker with their signature extended blues song included.

PG is the Zep album. I think the problem with Presence is Jimmy thought it would be a great idea to start doing smack. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing wrong with the guitar on Presence to my ears. PG is indeed the album(s). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At about :37  on Speak To Me someone says, right after the clock starts ticking "I've been mad for fuking years, absolutely years. I've been over the edge for yonks, been working with bands so long. I think 'Crikey"

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

Nothing wrong with the guitar on Presence to my ears. PG is indeed the album(s). 

I dig Presence, it just could have been a lot better. And Plant had and accident and was singing in a wheelchair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That come at about 3:32 in the song.

Yeh, the video link should take you to 3:30 right before that part.  I haven't listened to that one in a long time. The vocal track is so great.  A lot of vocalists wouldn't have been able to pull that off.  Her name is Clare Torry and she performed with Pink Floyd at Knebworth (1990).   She fits with the topic - can't understand a single word she sang. 😄

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...