Gibson Brands Forums

Hidden Or Hard To Hear Stuff On Albums

Sgt. Pepper

On 8/2/2020 at 5:22 AM, Pinch said:

All these peace-types: did they ever elaborate on how this elusive world peace was to be achieved?

we can have a shot at peace if people want it and make an effort, trying is better than not. Yes they elaborated, stand up for it even in the face of ridicule (which john and yoko got in spades). I wonder who among us did more than they?   Peace types ? Are you not a peace type ????? 

23 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

John and Yoko sat in a bed. But not much changed. I preferred Yoko when she was in the bag.

more nasty towards people who try to make the world better while you spew intolerance and disdain.    I thank Yoko for her efforts.

On 8/1/2020 at 9:08 PM, rct said:

The Allmans generally recorded live in a warehouse.  Lots of stuff in headphones on their records.  Dickey and Duane breathing on Little Martha, and their feet on the floor.  The late records, 90's I guess, lots of sounds of chairs moving and people talking in the background.

Used to be a throat clearing in the great Thorn Tree In The Garden on the Layla record, I think modern versions have cleaned it out.  They shoulda taken out Duane's entire track on the back end of Layla.

rct

I thought I read years ago that it was Clapton playing that strangled-cat sounding slide at the end of Layla.

On 8/1/2020 at 9:08 PM, rct said:

The Allmans generally recorded live in a warehouse.  Lots of stuff in headphones on their records.  Dickey and Duane breathing on Little Martha, and their feet on the floor.

rct

yea, I've heard that as well.  But you have to be using cans to hear it.  Open air listening it just gets lost.

I listen to quite a bit of solo stuff from acoustic guys (Tommy E.  Alex DeGrassi, Ed Gerhard).    It's just these guys, a guitar in a recording room playing in front of a mic.  You can clearly hear the breathing all the time.  Even clothes rustling now and then too.  Adds just a bit more "human" effect to the track IMHO.

1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Listening to remastered Layla right now.  Definitely a few poor musical choices there on the slide part. 

Speaking of Yoko and stuff that's hard to hear .... "Heeeeeeeey, Bungalow Bill, what did you kill, Bungalow Bill?" In the key of Yoko. 

Yoko sang in the rarely used key of strangled cat. If you need proof try and I mean try to get through all of side 2 of Live Peace In Toronto. You'll be glad you didn't.

FbY9Zc9.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 minutes ago, Pinch said:

He made a joke. The disdain is solely in your reply.

He doesn't have the sense of humor bone. Its connected to the funny bone. That is Yoko in the bag. That is not a joke, but her singing was. I don't have an issue with Yoko and know she did not break up The Beatles, they did that on their own, but if you think she makes music...well you got some strange taste.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 minutes ago, Pinch said:

It's why I'm not a "peace type ". They're never at peace.

I served in the military so I'm sure JVC considers me a war monger. I was even in one, didn't want to be, but I took an oath to defend the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic. I got to go to Thailand twice because of it. Best and most funnest place on Earth.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

49 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I served in the military so I'm sure JVC considers me a war monger. I was even in one, didn't want to be, but I took an oath to defend the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic. I got to go to Thailand twice because of it. Best and most funnest place on Earth.

thanks for that Sarge.  Seriously,  a lot of us still tip the hats to you guys and girls that put that time in for this country.  

3 hours ago, saturn said:

I thought I read years ago that it was Clapton playing that strangled-cat sounding slide at the end of Layla.

He did the slide chord stuff, hard to find but it is there.  He did the acoustic.  Gordon is the piano, Whitlock put some acoustic on it and doubled some piano parts.  Radle did, well, he did Radle.  A picture of the board shows Duane on 2 faders, I would assume they let him crap all over that thing twice.

rct

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

thanks for that Sarge.  Seriously,  a lot of us still tip the hats to you guys and girls that put that time in for this country.  

It's weird cause my dad served in the Iate 50's. My wife's dad was in Nam. They were spit on and called baby killers and now we are all called hero's. I just did my time and drank in foreign countries.

16 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It's weird cause my dad served in the Iate 50's. My wife's dad was in Nam. They were spit on and called baby killers and now we are all called hero's. I just did my time and drank in foreign countries.

I know quite few ex-Marines that were in conflict in the Gulf in the last 30 years.  Nam was a different time.  But I knew guys that were over there two, I never thought any less of them for the horrific stuff they had to deal with.

15 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I know quite few ex-Marines that were in conflict in the Gulf in the last 30 years.  Nam was a different time.  But I knew guys that were over there two, I never thought any less of them for the horrific stuff they had to deal with.

I was the Gulf during first Gulf War. I remember the day it was announced 2 Navy ship hit mines over the 1MC (the ships general announcing system). My a hole puckered a bit.  I saw 2 Tomahawk missiles fly over my ship. I know where they were going.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I was the Gulf during first Gulf War. I remember the day it was announced 2 Navy ship hit mines over the 1MC (the ships general announcing system). My a hole puckered a bit.  I saw 2 Tomahawk missiles fly over my ship. I know where they were going.

I'd have been worried too  things go go bad really fast in those situations.  a vast majority of Americans have no idea what it's all about.  And yea,  I'm one of them but  I try understand and respect the sacrifice.   Far too many do not.    Freedom is not free. 

Edited by kidblast

2 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I'd have been worried too  things go go bad really fast in those situations.  a vast majority of Americans have no idea what it's all about.  And yea,  I'm one of them but  I try understand and respect the sacrifice.   Far too many do not.    Freedom is not free. 

Stuff is free if you have a brick.

21 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

...over the 1MC (the ships general announcing system)

Now sweepers sweepers man your brooms.  Give the ship a clean sweep down fore and aft.  Sweepers sweepers man your brooms.

rct