Gibson Brands Forums

Sold off a few guitars this past week

sparquelito

So I'm down to 18 guitars. 

I'm thinking that a sane number might be more like 8. 

Funny;
When  you have a few hanging on the wall or stand, and some in their cases, and one or two at your band-mates house, it doesn't seem like an insane obsession or collection. 

But when it's all right there on display, the madness becomes apparent. 

Lord, give me strength. 
😑

all-18-guitars-2020-png.747039

• Like 2

The BFG..  One of my favourites  [thumbup]

I once went up to about ten Gibsons in my GAS heyday..  I hated having guitars sitting in a case doing nothing so in the end I went down to four and its been that way for years now.. Mind you I dont play out or record so one could say one is enough. But all four are out in my living room on stands. So when I am not playing them I get almost as much satisfaction just looking at them  🙂  The ultimate functional art.  (for a guitarist anyway 😄 )

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 4

Currently I have a 7 rack that I cover with a Sarong that has a de-humidifier running under it to help keep the moisture away. In my climate I can't store them in cases because oxidation or rust and have found that in the rack I am more likely to touch each of them at least every week. So my limit is 7, but I just acquired an Ibanez RG421 so now I have 8 electrics, but need to get back down to 7... 😞

• Like 2

Well, heck. 

Math never was my strong suit. 

I discovered where I had been hanging guitar number 19, and so the collage has been modified to include the 3 string cigar box guitar that Bob the drummer got me years ago, quite some time before he passed. 

😔

116882812_10223035597583977_318077113035

• Like 3

Yeah, it's tough getting-rid of gear we've had around for a while, years, decades.  I'm always hesitant to sell something because "What if I need it one day?".......A couple months ago we had an estate sale at my dad's house.  I decided to sell a bunch of stuff I've had, but rarely ever played anymore.  Sold eight guitars, two banjos, four ukes, one mandolin, dozens and dozens of music books, two old speakers.  I'm glad I did it now.  Frees-up some space in my music room and my head.  All i've got left now are ten guitars (seven are my Gibsons), two dobros, two banjos, three ukes, probably hundred or so music books, and a bunch of other "odds and ends."  I was surprised at how much I got for the instruments.  Definitely more than if I'd traded them in on something.  I'd always thought that an estate sale was pretty much a fancy name for a garage sale, but in reality it a professional event run by people who have contacts with collectors of many things.  It turned-out well............The only downside is that now my wife is pushing me to finally get the music room organized.....

• Like 2

I cheat & lie to myself. I don't count basses or the Variax (because they are for the studio). I don't count the plastic guitar either.

In fact when I'm asked how many I have, I say 7 working guitars & a 'couple' of fun ones.  The real figure is about double that. I cant even realistically say 'working guitars' any more either, because gigs are almost completely gone now. Before 2015 I had just one working guitar and regular gigs. 

I am Merciful Evans and I have a guitar problem... 🙉🙈 

• Like 2

I just realized I have 12 amps, more amps than guitars. Hmmm, I'm not sure what that means, 8 of them are battery powered, some are old and of a dated design concept. Its OK though at least I have 2 new tube amps..   🤪

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I cheat & lie to myself. I don't count basses or the Variax (because they are for the studio). I don't count the plastic guitar either.

In fact when I'm asked how many I have, I say 7 working guitars & a 'couple' of fun ones.  The real figure is about double that. I cant even realistically say 'working guitars' any more either, because gigs are almost completely gone now. Before 2015 I had just one working guitar and regular gigs. 

Thats not bad. I have 7 working guitars here now with one still on the way that will make 8, and an acoustic would make 9 if I ever fixed the bridge. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

I guess my counting is off too, because I don't count my acoustic or my bass or my Ric lap-steel.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Retired said:

I have never owned a Tell or a Strat.  I do have a vintage modified Jaguar though.  I use it to play all my surf songs. Ventures stuff. 

I have never owned a Fender Strat either, but I did have an FMT Thinline Teli a G&L Junior Teli and currently a custom Teli. I have been drooling over the Modern Jazzmasters but my new Ibanez may have taken its place..

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

I thinned the herd a lot in the past few months.  One thing I tried to do was have each guitar have a distinct tone or sound.  Then I looked up one day and saw I had 3 Les Pauls.  Anyway I am down to one  LP, a Gibson 356, and two acoustics, a Taylor 816 and a Collings.  Then in the back room I have a classical that I bought when I was about 14 years old which isn't worth anything so I don't feel bad about keeping it.  And lastly an Ovation that my significant other left me when she died.  It's a nice sounding guitar, but it has a skinny fingerboard and the strings are a little close together for me.  That one may go to one of my great nieces if they show an interest in guitar when they get a little older.  Sort of need to keep it in the family.  

• Like 2

On 8/3/2020 at 6:02 PM, Twang Gang said:

I thinned the herd a lot in the past few months.  One thing I tried to do was have each guitar have a distinct tone or sound.  

Obviously, you never saw the thread here, way back huh?  All guitars sound exactly the same.  Yep, in the hands of a pro you can make a cheap guitar sound just like a high dollar special.  Most here all agreed on that while a few others argued. 

• Haha 1