Gibson Brands Forums

Good Times Bad Times Bird

JuanCarlosVejar

55 minutes ago, Leonard McCoy said:

He's just playing along the record and we're not actually hearing the Hummingbird?

True. And most likely we've all done a bit of that as kids. But with that camera angle, it is a good chance to see what's going on with a fairly well known riff, esp. the right hand picking.

Yep.    When all you have is a hammer, every guitar looks like a nail: He's got tons of talent, but his song choice leaves a bit to be desired.  I guess it's popular though.  Even commercial 'pop' alleged Country singers will use an H'Bird as a prop.  J45s more so.   I guess we should be thankful they don't bash them to splinters at the end of each concert.   "Let Love Rule".    I guess this is the equivalent of the 60s bubble gum music some of us use to enjoy when we first got interested in music on  6 transistor AM radios.   I'm not inclined to try to figure out which H'Bird sounds better or different. Too much electrical engineering.  

But - Thanks - as always JCV - you bring lots of great and interesting performances here for us to  "Compare and Contrast".  As my old history teacher use to say. 

He's got nice moon boots. His second album Mama Said  was okay. After that he got huge and I didn't want to go his way. After he covered American Woman, I never heard much from him after that.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I remember hearing this song for the first time. 

I had been in the studio all nite making demo's and now drove home with the engineer in his car. Suddenly this number came through the radio and I immediately thought it was from a local program called The Demo-Doc (where upcoming acts sent in their stuff and some were lucky enough to get air-play).  Quite big was the surprise when we learned it was a new international artist. 

But listen :

What made Krawitz sensational at the time - and we're writing 1989 - was that he went back to the old desks with tube-gear, outboard and all sorts of vintage stuff. Until then the production culture, not least in the 80s, had been a race toward bigger-bigger-bigger, new, newer, newest, more expensive, , , , and the closer the studios got to a space-station the better.  Krawitz looked through all this and penetrated the hype with a genuine passion for sonic old-school. I'm not a fan and never was, but this vision was a huge achievement and he should be praised for it.                                                                           Well, fortunately that has happened - but let's not forget.