Gibson Brands Forums

Fingerboard Gibson R9 2010

regool

Hello, friends! A wonderful instrument 2010 GIBSON LES PAUL R9 CUSTOM SHOP 1959 REISSUE   came to me. Which is not the usual overlay. Lemon oil does not absorb at all, when processed. And the structure of the tree is very different from Indian rosewood. Help me figure it out!

DSC_0063.JPG

Edited by regool

The fingerboard in the photo is rosewood and quite dense. 

According to the R9 2010 reissue specification it is Indian rosewood.

It also looks like it does not need any oiling.

Best wishes.

Edited by jdgm

That is a nice slab of Indian rosewood.  What are you using to try to hydrate it (what kind of lemon oil)? 

Btw. you don't need to let it absorb. wipe on, rub in, wipe off. repeat in 6 or 7 months.  

I don't see any thing here to worry about,

go PLAY IT..

Edited by kidblast

This is the whole point. On Indian rosewood, the oil is absorbed in 30-40 minutes. This pad practically does not absorb oil at all. It costs a day or two and no results. Have to cleanse Dunlop 01.

There were many guitars with Indian rosewood, but this is the first time.

i (5)cv.jpg

Lemon oil is for cleaning - like your grandma's furniture cleaner.  It does not hydrate - on the contrary.  After cleaning, oil with Music Nomad F-ONE Oil.  Don't marinate your board either.  Rub in, rub out (haha!)

The goal is to keep what moisture is in the board.  I.e. oil is not moisture.  And you don't want to play on a fretboard that is an oil slick.  Keep your guitar in a nice temperature and humidity controlled area as much as possible, and it will fair fine with time.  The thing you worry about is the fretboard shrinking where you get fret sprout.  Then again, if your board is Richlite, don't have to worry about this, haha! 

On 8/5/2020 at 10:57 PM, NighthawkChris said:

Lemon oil is for cleaning - like your grandma's furniture cleaner.  It does not hydrate - on the contrary.  After cleaning, oil with Music Nomad F-ONE Oil.  Don't marinate your board either.  Rub in, rub out (haha!)

The goal is to keep what moisture is in the board.  I.e. oil is not moisture.  And you don't want to play on a fretboard that is an oil slick.  Keep your guitar in a nice temperature and humidity controlled area as much as possible, and it will fair fine with time.  The thing you worry about is the fretboard shrinking where you get fret sprout.  Then again, if your board is Richlite, don't have to worry about this, haha! 

Lemon oil is mineral oil, which is good for hydrating wood AFAIK.

Pinch-You are right, this is the whole purpose of hydration. The tree is saturated with lemon oil, becomes a little denser, does not dry out in hot climates, I would even say with confidence the sound changes a little for the better. Very dry, the neck of the guitar can change. So as not to twist the nut, I always treat with oil.

59 minutes ago, regool said:

Pinch-You are right, this is the whole purpose of hydration. The tree is saturated with lemon oil, becomes a little denser, does not dry out in hot climates, I would even say with confidence the sound changes a little for the better. Very dry, the neck of the guitar can change. So as not to twist the nut, I always treat with oil.

with all due respect, if you spend time researching, you'll see many ppl who know more about this than we do, will say the same.  use sparingly... you don't want that oil in seeping into the fret slots.

On 8/7/2020 at 1:26 PM, kidblast said:

with all due respect, if you spend time researching, you'll see many ppl who know more about this than we do, will say the same.  use sparingly... you don't want that oil in seeping into the fret slots.

I checked the guitar where I'd let the oil sit. Long story short, I just spent an hour removing gunk from the side of the frets with Gorgomyte.

OTOH, I took a look at a guitar where I'd just it on last fall, let it sit for a few minutes and "worked dirt and grime free" as per the instructions. Upon close inspection, same thing. Unless Gibson glue is green.

On yet another hand - my 2017 Tribute came with a pretty dry-looking fretboard, which didn't change with the annual oilings. Now, it's significantly darker - it looks healthy for the first time.

Regool is right, as is Kidblast. Letting it sit for five seconds won't hydrate a piece of wood. OTOH, letting it sit for 30 mins may eventually fook up frets.

So letting it sit for 30 mins should only be done if the wood actually looks thirsty and downright miserable. If it's been through ten Swedish winters or so, in my case.

https://www.guitaranswerguy.com/12-lemon-oil-debate/

Do whatever you want to your guitars.  Mine aren't getting the lemon treatment.  Again, F-One fretboard stuff works great.  Never get fret sprouts or dried out looking board with this stuff.  Also, use the Gibson Restoration Kit fretboard conditioner.  That stuff works great too.