Gibson Brands Forums

A simple fix for some tube amps I thought I'd share.

saturn

I was starting to have a few problems with my B52 and thought maybe it was time for a tube change, or possibly even something more serious. The amp would intermittently start "farting out" on me. The output would decrease considerably and it would basically lose it sparkle. It would eventually come back to "normal" but it still wasn't sounding as good as it used to.

I happened to read an article on Eurotubes.com and it basically stated that many tube amp issues are caused by bad electrical connections with the pins. It recommended pulling out the tubes and spraying the pins real good with contact cleaner and then slipping them back in-and-out a few times before permanently re-installing them. I pulled all my tubes (pre amp and power), sprayed them with Deoxit5 and followed intructions for putting them back. Knock on wood, my amp hasn't farted out one time since then and it seems to sound better than ever. I hope it's not just a coincidence. The first few times I turned it on and played, the room smelled like Deoxit but I haven't noticed it any more.

I would recommend trying this before replacing tubes or taking your amp to a tech. It just might work for you.

=D> Thanks Saturn. As we all know here the price of good quality tubes is outrageous.

*edit*

I have never heard of Deoxit5....I have been told WD40 is taboo for guitars so thats out of the question.

Any Canadians here that know if Deoxit5 is available north of the 49th?

=D> Thanks Saturn. As we all know here the price of good quality tubes is outrageous.

*edit*

I have never heard of Deoxit5....I have been told WD40 is taboo for guitars so thats out of the question.

Any Canadians here that know if Deoxit5 is available north of the 49th?

Try to get LPS contact cleaner. Is is used in aviation, it is greaseless (important).

I use it for all electronics and never had a problem.

Try to get LPS contact cleaner. Is is used in aviation' date=' it is greaseless (important).

I use it for all electronics and never had a problem.[/quote']

Agreed, LPS is great. It is also great for use on computer / telecom electronics and is very useful for those 'oops I spilled my coffee on my laptop' moments.

Whatever brand you use make sure it is electronics contact cleaner (not WD40 or other lubricants) which is designed to clean electronics and dry without leaving any reside that can cause problems later. It's better to use it with your electronics unplugged and to let it dry completely before plugging it back in so you don't risk shorting anything out.

Saturn - great post

Having been a full time Amp Tech, Most Amp problems are due to oxidized tube sockets, jacks, pots. They degrade over time just sitting there unused.

I've used all the cleaners to clean these - I swear by Caig Labs products.

+1 for Caig DeoxIT

order in canada here:

http://canada.newark.com/caig-laboratories

Specifically this one: = reaches into hard to get places

http://canada.newark.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=08H0309&N=0

4088287.jpg

Archived