Gibson Brands Forums

J45 or J45RW

mjg

Recently taped my self on my (rw) AJ and my J50. I tuned down the AJ and capoed up to emulate a s/s sound. The AJ always been a little on the cool side. Altering the pitch didnt change that any. I think its the wood, not the box. Underneath that thick bass is a cool hard treble. To my ear. The hog, all things being equal, is going to have more sparkle and bloom. All depends on what you want out of a box.

Somebody said it before me but I couldn't agree more. The rosewood is "immediately alluring" with it's rich bass but with further playing the high jangling trebles begin to annoy me.

For me, the hog shows a continuity between all the strings while the rosewood seems to lack that relationship.

I think appreciating the hog is more subtle and takes a little more time. The rosewood makes a good first impression and is physically more beautiful to most.

I'm church worship leader and sing along with my 'Hog J-45 MC a couple of times a week, sometimes with a full band and sometimes not. I think the Mahogany J-45 is the perfect strumming, singer-songwriter-troubadour kind of guitar, but that's just me. Others have their preferences. I also fingerpick mine, and it sounds good in that role too.

I've played my J-45 along with a friend's J-45 Rosewood. They are similar but different. The Rosewood model is noticably heavier in weight. It is a little bassier, and has more overtones, as would be expected. The Mahogany guitar is more dry and woody sounding, with a stronger top end, and a more fundamental tone with fewer overtones. Both have that sweet vocal Gibson midrange. Both are about the same volume. They both still sound unmistakably Gibson, just some subtle differences. To me, and J-45 is supposed to be Mahogany, but I like his RW too.

Of course, if you're plugging in like I do, many of the subtle differences in tone are not as noticable, as your pickup and PA are resposible for most of what the audience is hearing. I do think the more fundamental tone and slightly stronger top end of the mahogany lends it better to amplification, and to being heard when in the mix with the full band. They are both great guitars though, and I don't think you'd go wrong with either.

My friend is wanting to sell his J-45 RW by the way. I think its a 2003, and is in almost perfect condition. Contact me if you want any details on it.

I would say Hog. RW 45s are lovely, but the Hog is far less obtrusive in terms of midrange tonality when accompanying vocals. My Hummingbird is ridiculously good for vocal accompaniment, it just gets out of the way tonally in the crucial midrange where the vocal sits, and it always surprises me how little mixing or EQing the vocals or guitar need to get a good blend when recording or playing live.

I have owned two Hog 45s and have spent three years in a band with a RW45 player.

I was always a Maple Maniac but my experiences with Hog 45s and Hummers has led me to become a Man Of Mahogany!

I have been repairing my ancient Kalamazoo SJ from head to strap button. During this process I have been using my D-41 and my Hummingbird for playing and for playing/singing as well. Either will do. It's my voice that scares me most, thanks to Asthma inhalers. But, in fairness to Gibson, the reason I am repairing my longtime case bound SJ, which is mahogany, is because it always played and sounded the best with vocals.

A fellow named Tim Farney who posted here regularly a few years back used to swear that his RW 45 was the greatest thing since sliced bread. If I remember right he used it to accompany voice.

Jerry,

it would be nice to hear from Tim again, particularly on this one.

Archived