Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums
Brucebubs

New 2020 Historic 1957 SJ-200 Clip

Recommended Posts

Found this clip this morning - they do chat away too much but there's a nice demo around the 6.00 minute mark - gotta say as a strummer it made me feel I've made a good choice - mine is due late September/early October.

 

Edited by Brucebubs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brucebubs said:

Found this clip this morning - they do chat away too much but there's a nice demo around the 6.00 minute mark - gotta say as a strummer it made me feel I've made a good choice - mine is due late September/early October.

 


I played a Blonde 1957 Sj 200 at NAMM and it was amazing.
 

JC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really dig the burst, , , but think I'll take both 😸 Then I can make the A/B the good demonstrator neglected. These guys are cühl, , , , , all 4 of them. .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

. . . as a strummer it made me feel I've made a good choice - mine is due late September/early October.

Absolute strummer, no doubt. And it would've been nice to see some easy strumming in the clip, but when you're looking for a demo of your guitar- 'guess you'll take what you can get. 

"Late Sept/early Oct" ? You've most likely hold the record for one of the longer cases of anticipation here on the forum- not as bad as the almost-one-year wait when I send an old guitar to a "certain" in-demand luthier for repairs. Or- how 'bout those builders who have waiting lists numbering in years. When did the trigger get pulled on yours? Forumite Holiday Hoser recently reported the seemingly shuttered appearance of the Bozeman shop when he was out Montana way for a fish hunting trip. . .  Surely you've tried to get inside the heads of those who'll be making your '57 Reissue when they return (or are they still there?)- you know they'll be happy to be back at work, but I think they know they're making the King of the Flat tops whenever they're making a superjumbo. 

4 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

 These guys are cühl, , , , , all 4 of them. .  

Well  . . .  

Edited by 62burst

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JuanCarlosVejar said:

I played a Blonde 1957 Sj 200 at NAMM and it was amazing.


JC

The silking on the top of the blonde viewable in the thumbnail (before the video is clicked on) for the clip Bruce put up is beautiful. . . T'would be a shame to cover it with a burst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 62burst said:

Absolute strummer, no doubt. And it would've been nice to see some easy strumming in the clip, but when you're looking for a demo of your guitar- 'guess you'll take what you can get. 

"Late Sept/early Oct" ? You've most likely hold the record for one of the longer cases of anticipation here on the forum- not as bad as the almost-one-year wait when I send an old guitar to a "certain" in-demand luthier for repairs. Or- how 'bout those builders who have waiting lists numbering in years. When did the trigger get pulled on yours? Forumite Holiday Hoser recently reported the seemingly shuttered appearance of the Bozeman shop when he was out Montana way for a fish hunting trip. . .  Surely you've tried to get inside the heads of those who'll be making your '57 Reissue when they return (or are they still there?)- you know they'll be happy to be back at work, but I think they know they're making the King of the Flat tops whenever they're making a superjumbo. 

Well  . . .  

Survived the bushfires here in Australia - wife said 'go for it' - ordered guitar Feb 6th - my mother passed away Feb 10th - after her funeral COVID hit everywhere - it's been some year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Brucebubs said:

Survived the bushfires here in Australia - wife said 'go for it' - ordered guitar Feb 6th - my mother passed away Feb 10th - after her funeral COVID hit everywhere - it's been some year!

'oy! Rough year, indeed. I hope it arrives in fine fashion and that the shipping backlog doesn't push it out further.

His comment at 5:54  - "I wish you could feel what I'm feeling right now" is a sentiment I've tried to relay before. The power is hard to capture with a mic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those nuked burst finishes are without a doubt the best looking since Gibson started spraying with opaque lacquer.  

I swear though there are times when I think Bozeman selects specific years to  assign to guitars by picking one written on a piece of paper drawn from a hat.

Edited by zombywoof

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

Those nuked burst finishes are without a doubt the best looking since Gibson started spraying with opaque lacquer.  

I swear though there are times when I think Bozeman selects specific years to  assign to guitars by picking one written on a piece of paper drawn from a hat.

Hehe, , he, , ,

   .   .  .  .  .    .  .   🎩

   .   .  .    .  . 🌟1957 ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just played one today and not coming home with it will haunt me for a long time.  Notes were effortlessly exploding off the top... almost sounded like a 12 string (in a good way). I don't have much (any?) prior SJ-200 experience but the one I played today was an exceptional instrument.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My take on the J200 is that there is nothing middle of the road Meh about them.  Most seem to tend to either love it or leave it,  

I cannot think of any Gibson which has undergone more bracing changes during its lifetime than the SJ/J200.  Back in the day Gibson seems to have been preoccupied with solving the engineering problem of how to support that big old top resulting in the guitar having three different bracing schemes between the late-1930s and early 1960s alone each version having a unique sound.   

Videos  though are obviously not the best way to judge much of anything as if nothing else guitars mic differently.  And the guys holding the guitars were pretty limited in their approach sticking with a flatpick and strumming while throwing in single string runs  only up around the nut.    I wanted to scream at them to do some fingerpicking or three note chord comping on the low end all the way up the neck.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...