Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

Oiling fretboard


Pinch
 Share

Recommended Posts

I dont know but I suspect regool's guitar is over oiled. 

I researched lifting frets a couple of days back, and a video I saw showed some frets that could not be glued into place. The reason was because under them was some green gunk. Not only was the oil partly responsible for the frets lifting, but it was preventing any glue being squeezed in. 

If I used any oil (and I dont), I wouldn't let it sit for any length at all. I'd smear a drop on & wipe it off again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hopefully the frets on the LP I oiled stays on then...

Previously I didn't let it sit long, but this year I thought, hell, rosewood can't absorb oil in five minutes. 30 minutes and the fretboard, which has always been light, was considerably darker. Guess it's a trade-off...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I dont know but I suspect regool's guitar is over oiled. 

I researched lifting frets a couple of days back, and a video I saw showed some frets that could not be glued into place. The reason was because under them was some green gunk. Not only was the oil partly responsible for the frets lifting, but it was preventing any glue being squeezed in. 

If I used any oil (and I dont), I wouldn't let it sit for any length at all. I'd smear a drop on & wipe it off again.

this IMHO is exactly correct!  wipe it on, rub it off.  I spend more time with a dry cloth than I do with the oiled one.  Also, get your finger nail in there with the rag over it and scrub out the edge of the frets on both sides.   You wont believe the stuff that comes off on the rag.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pinch said:

Hopefully the frets on the LP I oiled stays on then...

Previously I didn't let it sit long, but this year I thought, hell, rosewood can't absorb oil in five minutes. 30 minutes and the fretboard, which has always been light, was considerably darker. Guess it's a trade-off...

Un-researched and just following the thread of thoughts in my head - I agree with this.  I feel conditioning a fretboard periodically (sparingly... every several years or so) is a maintenance item to keep it from overdrying.  I also think leaving it on longer to penetrate better is a good idea, but to the key is to wipe off any excess.  I feel cleaning the fretboard with a soft toothbrush and water first isn't a bad idea as well to make sure gunk build up does not become a problem.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

Un-researched and just following the thread of thoughts in my head - I agree with this.  I feel conditioning a fretboard periodically (sparingly... every several years or so) is a maintenance item to keep it from overdrying.  I also think leaving it on longer to penetrate better is a good idea, but to the key is to wipe off any excess.  I feel cleaning the fretboard with a soft toothbrush and water first isn't a bad idea as well to make sure gunk build up does not become a problem.

 

0000 steel wool is what most will use.  Some say 0000 brass wool is better?.. 

watch this guy.  This is exactly as I've done for many years

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

If I used any oil (and I dont), I wouldn't let it sit for any length at all. I'd smear a drop on & wipe it off again.

Good to know I'm not the only one.  I never oiled my fretboard - no issues with that approach so far.  

Edited by ghost_of_fl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rct said:

Since 1971 I've never oiled any fingerboard at all.

rct

Since I first started playing at 13 till I was 28 and sold off the whole 9 yards, I never oiled a guitar.  Never had a problem.  Have to confess I do now only because so many have done it here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some of the gunk I thought was left over, I could scrape off  with just my fingernail. Just at one spot. Now I'm concerned it was glue from the fret gluing... there's still gotta be enough glue left under the fret and in the fret slot, right... this was like on the fingerboard just next to the fret, miniscule amount. Need I worry? OCD is a WONDERFUL ****ing thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pinch said:

Some of the gunk I thought was left over, I could scrape off  with just my fingernail. Just at one spot. Now I'm concerned it was glue from the fret gluing... there's still gotta be enough glue left under the fret and in the fret slot, right... this was like on the fingerboard just next to the fret, miniscule amount. Need I worry? OCD is a WONDERFUL ****ing thing.

 

Well you could check to see if the fret lifted by pressing it down. Maybe even clamp the fret down carefully & watch to see if anymore oozes out.

The account I related earlier. I didnt watch all of it & I suspect he resolved the problem somehow (with some cleaning method?). 

Check if you have a problem 1st. Hopefully not, but if so I will try to find that vid again. Good luck 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

 

Well you could check to see if the fret lifted by pressing it down. Maybe even clamp the fret down carefully & watch to see if anymore oozes out.

The account I related earlier. I didnt watch all of it & I suspect he resolved the problem somehow (with some cleaning method?). 

Check if you have a problem 1st. Hopefully not, but if so I will try to find that vid again. Good luck 

Nah, the fret seems fine. I  have a tendency to overthink things at times, I guess. Too much stress all round right now  😕

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/7/2020 at 8:50 AM, kidblast said:

0000 steel wool is what most will use.  Some say 0000 brass wool is better?.. 

watch this guy.  This is exactly as I've done for many years

 

 

 

Isn't that the guy that can change stings in just a hair over 3 minuets?

I've used coconut oil and currently I'm using Bore Oil and distilled water.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Check this out, should clean out any gunk when re-fretting:

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/types-of-tools/chisels-and-knives/fret-slot-cleaning-tool/Reviews/Page5.html#reviews

Guess I should do something more productive than overthink. There's this one spot that... and blah blah... maybe wait til there's a problem before addressing it...

Edited by Pinch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...