Gibson Brands Forums

Oiling fretboard

Pinch

I dont know but I suspect regool's guitar is over oiled. 

I researched lifting frets a couple of days back, and a video I saw showed some frets that could not be glued into place. The reason was because under them was some green gunk. Not only was the oil partly responsible for the frets lifting, but it was preventing any glue being squeezed in. 

If I used any oil (and I dont), I wouldn't let it sit for any length at all. I'd smear a drop on & wipe it off again.

Hopefully the frets on the LP I oiled stays on then...

Previously I didn't let it sit long, but this year I thought, hell, rosewood can't absorb oil in five minutes. 30 minutes and the fretboard, which has always been light, was considerably darker. Guess it's a trade-off...

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I dont know but I suspect regool's guitar is over oiled. 

I researched lifting frets a couple of days back, and a video I saw showed some frets that could not be glued into place. The reason was because under them was some green gunk. Not only was the oil partly responsible for the frets lifting, but it was preventing any glue being squeezed in. 

If I used any oil (and I dont), I wouldn't let it sit for any length at all. I'd smear a drop on & wipe it off again.

this IMHO is exactly correct!  wipe it on, rub it off.  I spend more time with a dry cloth than I do with the oiled one.  Also, get your finger nail in there with the rag over it and scrub out the edge of the frets on both sides.   You wont believe the stuff that comes off on the rag.

1 hour ago, Pinch said:

Hopefully the frets on the LP I oiled stays on then...

Previously I didn't let it sit long, but this year I thought, hell, rosewood can't absorb oil in five minutes. 30 minutes and the fretboard, which has always been light, was considerably darker. Guess it's a trade-off...

Un-researched and just following the thread of thoughts in my head - I agree with this.  I feel conditioning a fretboard periodically (sparingly... every several years or so) is a maintenance item to keep it from overdrying.  I also think leaving it on longer to penetrate better is a good idea, but to the key is to wipe off any excess.  I feel cleaning the fretboard with a soft toothbrush and water first isn't a bad idea as well to make sure gunk build up does not become a problem.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

Un-researched and just following the thread of thoughts in my head - I agree with this.  I feel conditioning a fretboard periodically (sparingly... every several years or so) is a maintenance item to keep it from overdrying.  I also think leaving it on longer to penetrate better is a good idea, but to the key is to wipe off any excess.  I feel cleaning the fretboard with a soft toothbrush and water first isn't a bad idea as well to make sure gunk build up does not become a problem.

0000 steel wool is what most will use.  Some say 0000 brass wool is better?.. 

watch this guy.  This is exactly as I've done for many years

I use Duraglit silver wadding polish.  Same sort of thing I think.

Oiling boards; if it doesn't sink into a rosewood board then the board doesn't need it and the residue should be wiped off (IMO).

1 hour ago, rct said:

Since 1971 I've never oiled any fingerboard at all.

rct

Since I first started playing at 13 till I was 28 and sold off the whole 9 yards, I never oiled a guitar.  Never had a problem.  Have to confess I do now only because so many have done it here. 

Some of the gunk I thought was left over, I could scrape off  with just my fingernail. Just at one spot. Now I'm concerned it was glue from the fret gluing... there's still gotta be enough glue left under the fret and in the fret slot, right... this was like on the fingerboard just next to the fret, miniscule amount. Need I worry? OCD is a WONDERFUL ****ing thing.

2 hours ago, Pinch said:

Some of the gunk I thought was left over, I could scrape off  with just my fingernail. Just at one spot. Now I'm concerned it was glue from the fret gluing... there's still gotta be enough glue left under the fret and in the fret slot, right... this was like on the fingerboard just next to the fret, miniscule amount. Need I worry? OCD is a WONDERFUL ****ing thing.

Well you could check to see if the fret lifted by pressing it down. Maybe even clamp the fret down carefully & watch to see if anymore oozes out.

The account I related earlier. I didnt watch all of it & I suspect he resolved the problem somehow (with some cleaning method?). 

Check if you have a problem 1st. Hopefully not, but if so I will try to find that vid again. Good luck 

17 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Well you could check to see if the fret lifted by pressing it down. Maybe even clamp the fret down carefully & watch to see if anymore oozes out.

The account I related earlier. I didnt watch all of it & I suspect he resolved the problem somehow (with some cleaning method?). 

Check if you have a problem 1st. Hopefully not, but if so I will try to find that vid again. Good luck 

Nah, the fret seems fine. I  have a tendency to overthink things at times, I guess. Too much stress all round right now  😕

On 8/7/2020 at 8:50 AM, kidblast said:

0000 steel wool is what most will use.  Some say 0000 brass wool is better?.. 

watch this guy.  This is exactly as I've done for many years

Isn't that the guy that can change stings in just a hair over 3 minuets?

I've used coconut oil and currently I'm using Bore Oil and distilled water.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Check this out, should clean out any gunk when re-fretting:

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/types-of-tools/chisels-and-knives/fret-slot-cleaning-tool/Reviews/Page5.html#reviews

Guess I should do something more productive than overthink. There's this one spot that... and blah blah... maybe wait til there's a problem before addressing it...

Edited by Pinch

The only thing I worry about with a fretboard drying out is fret sprout.  I suppose it is worth it to address this more than it is to address how the fretboard looks - especially if you have bound neck.  I've seen quite a few older Gibsons that have had fret sprout and you will see where they cut the binding.  From everything I have read, it's because of the fretboard drying out and shrinking.  I mean, it's not the worst thing that can happen to a guitar I suppose, but if all it takes is something to apply to the neck to keep the moisture it has inside of it to prevent it from shrinking or whatever, why the heck not? 

Other than that, I suppose if you don't like a fretboard that is dried out looking - for darker woods such as ebony, pau ferro, or rosewood - then maybe some oil can't hurt.  The initial thread @Pinch referred to I participated in and the verdict was to use lemon oil.  Well, I've heard that straight up lemon oil will dry the fretboard out.  Hence why I use the f-one oil specifically for fretboards.  As well, also tried the Gibson restoration kit that comes with fretboard conditioner and it works great too - comes with a nice soft cloth rag too.  I also don't marinate the fretboard whatever I apply - i.e. read directions.  Wipe on, wipe off is what is usually the instruction.  I don't know all the "science" about this stuff (don't really care to either), but that's what I've been told and my Gibbys don't have issues with anemic looking fretboards or fret sprouting.  I live in MI as well where the weather gets dry in winter and humid in summer.  Yes, I'm adjusting my truss rods slightly every season change because of this.