Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums
schnebbles

Recommendation to replace Epi EJ200

Recommended Posts

Hi guys - So I was talking to him about his guitar.  He was saying he went and tried lots of them and the one he has just flows and is so easy to play.  Ok, I don't get that because I don't play.  

am I making a mistake buy not just getting him a gift cert?  He did say he ordered the EPI online but I think maybe he'd played one at a shop.

I know I could sell it but he'd be the kind who would never tell me if it wasn't a great guitar.  He'd be afraid to hurt my feelings.  

I just want to be kinda sure the gibson will play as well or better.  Sorry if that sounds dumb but I just don't have a clue about guitars.  I'm still sooo excited and I want it to be amazing.  I could just get the $ and maybe a pic of a gibson which isn't what I want because, well, it's not the same.  But I'd rather do that than spend the $ and him not like it. I'm still wanting the SJ200.  new or used - are use guitars better?  if they are mint?  IDK

So, guitar guys, what do you think?  assuming you're all guys, lol!  You really are helping me and I appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, schnebbles said:

Hi guys - So I was talking to him about his guitar.  He was saying he went and tried lots of them and the one he has just flows and is so easy to play.  Ok, I don't get that because I don't play.  

am I making a mistake buy not just getting him a gift cert?  He did say he ordered the EPI online but I think maybe he'd played one at a shop.

Just to clarify this part - he ordered the Epiphone online that he as now, but only after going out and about and trying many makes and models?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, schnebbles said:

Hi guys - So I was talking to him about his guitar.  He was saying he went and tried lots of them and the one he has just flows and is so easy to play.  Ok, I don't get that because I don't play.  

am I making a mistake buy not just getting him a gift cert?  He did say he ordered the EPI online but I think maybe he'd played one at a shop.

I know I could sell it but he'd be the kind who would never tell me if it wasn't a great guitar.  He'd be afraid to hurt my feelings.  

I just want to be kinda sure the gibson will play as well or better.  Sorry if that sounds dumb but I just don't have a clue about guitars.  I'm still sooo excited and I want it to be amazing.  I could just get the $ and maybe a pic of a gibson which isn't what I want because, well, it's not the same.  But I'd rather do that than spend the $ and him not like it. I'm still wanting the SJ200.  new or used - are use guitars better?  if they are mint?  IDK

So, guitar guys, what do you think?  assuming you're all guys, lol!  You really are helping me and I appreciate it.

I don't think it's even possible to put a J200 in someones hands have them say "Meh...  it's ok I guess."    Of course a lot is in the setup,, so if it was at all possible, you would want to think about a way to do that before hand. 

There is a good chance that's why he likes the epi..  but either way,,  buy from a place that will allow a return if something goes south and he just isn't into it  Sweetwater for example is such an online dealer.  He or you can  talk to a sales rep, tell them the situation   They would be maybe even be able to do the setup for you before they ship it.  I have a sales tech I've had a long and good working relation ship with,, I'd be happy to send you his way when you are ready. 

regarding new or used, my personal opine,, always go new,...  if for anything, you have a warranty to fall back on should something go wrong.  in the long run when you're buying something like a J200, you're likely to be very close to the cost new anyway for a really clean one. 

Edited by kidblast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wildwood guitars, a very esteemed Gibson dealer (they are in Bozeman near the Gibson factory, they get all the good stuff!) has one right at your price point

As others have said, the guitar he has now is a particular shape, so he will probably like the feel of the Gibson version. the sound will blow him away, don't worry about that. If he complained about not being able to play it while sitting down, or that it was too big or something like that, i'd recommend taking him shopping to a good local shop, but otherwise i think you're on the right track to being the best part of someone's 2020 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not 100% on how many he tried.  We were watching a video and I was like, oh he has a Taylor,  then I said I kinda watch guitars now.  I don't know how many he tried.

I'm working with Sweetwater at the moment.  I thought I messaged Wildwood - might try again because I never got a reply.  I don't have the cash yet so I'm shopping.

He sits and plays the Epi fine so that should't be an issue.  IdK one thing about setup, I suppose if/when I order that'll be another thing I'll need to know.

Again, I truly appreciate all of your input, it helps.  I think I'll still go for the SJ200.  And, yes, new is probably better for terms of warranty and return.  Good point.

I'll keep updating.  I'm so anxious I can't stand it but it's probably good because the minute it's in my hands I'm going to want it in his and I need to wait for Christmas.  

The look on his face is going to be absolutely priceless 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, schnebbles said:

I'm not 100% on how many he tried.  We were watching a video and I was like, oh he has a Taylor,  then I said I kinda watch guitars now.  I don't know how many he tried.

I'm working with Sweetwater at the moment.  I thought I messaged Wildwood - might try again because I never got a reply.  I don't have the cash yet so I'm shopping.

He sits and plays the Epi fine so that should't be an issue.  IdK one thing about setup, I suppose if/when I order that'll be another thing I'll need to know.

Again, I truly appreciate all of your input, it helps.  I think I'll still go for the SJ200.  And, yes, new is probably better for terms of warranty and return.  Good point.

I'll keep updating.  I'm so anxious I can't stand it but it's probably good because the minute it's in my hands I'm going to want it in his and I need to wait for Christmas.  

The look on his face is going to be absolutely priceless 🙂

 

You can give Sweetwater a call. They’ll be happy to hear from you. Especially if you’re buying an SJ-200. I believe they will handle any set up needs you might want also.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2020 at 6:08 AM, schnebbles said:

Thanks again everyone 🙂 I went to Guitar Center yesterday just to look but they didn't even have ONE Gibson to look at.  

And, yep, I know Martin and a few others.  I just want Gibson because he said it'd be awesome sound and honestly, this man is so nice he really doesn't spend money on himself so I sure hope to pull this off, I think I can.  I even made myself a special savings account for it.

I think all of the support here is great!  i saw a KOA on line and wow, gorgeous but I think that's a little more than I can afford or it'd be my #1 pick, the wood is just beautiful.  

Call Wildwood Guitars!  They’ve got several J200s.  Very knowledgeable people.   I bought mine there and it’s arriving tomorrow.  Find a guitar you’re interested in, call them and ask them for their best price.  You might be pleasantly surprised.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, schnebbles said:

I'm not 100% on how many he tried.  We were watching a video and I was like, oh he has a Taylor,  then I said I kinda watch guitars now.  I don't know how many he tried.

I'm working with Sweetwater at the moment.  I thought I messaged Wildwood - might try again because I never got a reply.  I don't have the cash yet so I'm shopping.

He sits and plays the Epi fine so that should't be an issue.  IdK one thing about setup, I suppose if/when I order that'll be another thing I'll need to know.

Again, I truly appreciate all of your input, it helps.  I think I'll still go for the SJ200.  And, yes, new is probably better for terms of warranty and return.  Good point.

I'll keep updating.  I'm so anxious I can't stand it but it's probably good because the minute it's in my hands I'm going to want it in his and I need to wait for Christmas.  

The look on his face is going to be absolutely priceless 🙂

 

So ask your rep at Sweetwater if they can help out at all about setup. 

You will want to ask if they have anyone available to regulate the nut (A fancy term for filing the nut slots to the correct depth, they always leave the factory too shallow.)

This will be one of the biggest factors to how the guitar feels out of the box. Setting that requires the proper files (and of course, the know how).  This will set the distance of the strings over the first few frets.  If it's too high, open chords will be hard to play, Barre chords on the frist two frets very difficult, and could impact intonation.

The action (the distance of the strings to the top of the frets) will need to be set which typically means taking a small amount of material off the bottom saddle. 

A pretty general comfortable setting is Low E 5/64s,  High E 4/64s  (This is measured from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string at the 12th fret.)   Most of the Gibson's I've seen from the factory are closer to 7/64s ~ 6/64s which is actually a bit on the high side.

IMHO  Gibson doesn't do a good job with this.  Factory setups are just about useless for most players. I recently bought a Taylor 814CE DLX..  the setup out of the box was amazing.  All I've had to do so far is tune it once and a while

anyway I would ask they should know what you are asking of them.  I'm not really sure how deep their setup guys can go.    

Edited by kidblast
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, 4/64 is low! At least too low for me.

I set up my guitar at 5/64 for the E string and consider that as low. Both of the Gibsons, I bought this year haven’t been touched as they both were at 5/64. so, for me they did a perfect job.  Obviously it’s up to different tastes and different playing styles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's magic pixie dust. Everyone's been getting their Gibsons the way they want them set up. What strange new service is this? Isn't it funny, the reaction folks get when they share low action with people? Dan Erlewine at Stewmac must get white-knuckle mad when he sees this. He likes to have his Gibsons down to 4/64 low-E and under 3/64 on the high-E. Gotta have level frets for that to work, though.

In the case of my last guitar purchase, actually, I think I told the folks at Wildwood about where I like it. A week later.... I wouldn't mind some pixie dust, though. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter Z said:

Wow, 4/64 is low! At least too low for me.

I set up my guitar at 5/64 for the E string and consider that as low. Both of the Gibsons, I bought this year haven’t been touched as they both were at 5/64. so, for me they did a perfect job.  Obviously it’s up to different tastes and different playing styles.

5/64s bass side  bud...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I absolutely second the recommendation for Wildwood. I had a superb experience buying my Maple AJ from them a couple of years back. Just wonderful service and the guitar was exquisite from the moment I picked it up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition to the overall experience, WW does offer discounts when asked, and are guitar specialists. Lots of win-win by using them. I'm new to them I was using a local big box store's location, but it was not because of the organization. It was the local staff at the time. The staff are no longer there, and that's all I'll say about that. For this one, I chose one folks on this board had suggested over the past few years, and was not disappointed.

As far as the set up is concerned, your BF may very well like his guitars set up in a certain manner already. You can't come out and ask him. He very well may not have come to that conclusion. That makes getting low action a risky proposition. One can sand off material, but good luck getting it back. I would suggest finding out if there is a reputable Luthier in your area that actually does maintenance type work. You might have to ask some innocent questions, like the "where do you take guitars to get fixed if something happens?". Perhaps he knows of someone who is reputed to be great has their Luthier craft. If so, you're in luck. Have the store do a basic, but not too low of a setup with the understanding that he'll bring it somewhere local after the guitar has acclimated to it's new environment and your lucky BF has ironed out his preferences for that guitar. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

I emailed Bruce.  I've come to see this isn't as easy as I thought.  We have Guitar Center and Sound Exchange.  I'll speak with SW and get a good price and talk about the setup.  Because, yep, can't ask too much without spoiling it.  I had no clue it needed setup 😂  To me a guitar is a guitar.  Aside from it being elec or acoustic or shaped different.  It's ok if you laugh, I like to make people laugh.

You've all been more helpful than you know btw!  Godsend to have found this forum and helpful guitar enthusiasts.  It's nice when I see him enjoy playing.  Funny but I probably won't notice any difference but I'm sure he will.  I've actually learned to listen to the guitar when he plays more than I ever thought I would.  I may be spending WAY too much because he just plays here and there for enjoyment but after he told me once that a Gibson would be amazing, well end of story.  This man is so good to me I figure he deserves something wonderful.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I was afraid that all this talk of setups, lower action, for 4/64, etc would only end up going off into the weeds, and just end up overwhelming OP Schnebbles.

Some people are not that critical of string action height. I am one of those people. I do, however, suit the action height to the intended use of the guitar. Of the many Gibsons I have or had, NEVER did one absolutely need a setup after getting it home. Especially the model that the luthiers at Gibson take care the most in assembling, the top of their line, the SJ-200.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Yeah, I was afraid that all this talk of setups, lower action, for 4/64, etc would only end up going off into the weeds, and just end up overwhelming OP Schnebbles.

Some people are not that critical of string action height. I am one of those people. I do, however, suit the action height to the intended use of the guitar. Of the many Gibsons I have or had, NEVER did one absolutely need a setup after getting it home. Especially the model that the luthiers at Gibson take care the most in assembling, the top of their line, the SJ-200.

 

Really.   If OP's BF loves his mail-order Epi, I think getting one from Wildwood or another of Gibson's 5 star dealers and asking them to check the action to make sure it's correct would be fine.  "In the middle of the range"   works for me on most things.   Stressing over a millimeter Clarence  on the 3rd string will take away from the intended purchase of the guitar.  BF will be bowled over going from an Epi to a Gibson of the same model.  And OP needs to realize once he opens it and plays it - HE can be the one, in a month or two - to start thinking about the need for more pixie dust on a set up by a reputable dealer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a hold of Wildwood, he's working on a price.  Told him they come highly recommended.  It's ok about the settings, no problem.  Gave me a point to ask about when I get this ordered.  I wouldn't have known otherwise.  Love to learn!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2020 at 12:17 PM, schnebbles said:

I got a hold of Wildwood, he's working on a price.  Told him they come highly recommended.  It's ok about the settings, no problem.  Gave me a point to ask about when I get this ordered.  I wouldn't have known otherwise.  Love to learn!  

Go with it..  you can be sure they'll make it right .  let us know how the story ends...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2020 at 5:17 PM, schnebbles said:

I got a hold of Wildwood, he's working on a price.  Told him they come highly recommended.  It's ok about the settings, no problem.  Gave me a point to ask about when I get this ordered.  I wouldn't have known otherwise.  Love to learn!  

Bruce Beard is the guy who did the deal for me on my Maple AJ. These were a very limited edition instrument and I chased them all over Europe...played one in Glasgow and fell in love with it, but by the time I had the money it was gone. Found one in Wales secondhand, but that sold before I could get to it...tracked one down in Paris but that sold too. 

Eventually I found the last one in the world for sale at Wildwood. I couldn't get to the US for five months but Bruce did the deal and they held it for me, sorted out my CITES cert and everything. Amazing service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, schnebbles said:

I’m going to have to Google that just so I can see what it looks like. He’s always been super responsive to my emails.

He seems to be a pretty good dude.

4 hours ago, Jinder said:

Bruce Beard is the guy who did the deal for me on my Maple AJ. These were a very limited edition instrument and I chased them all over Europe...played one in Glasgow and fell in love with it, but by the time I had the money it was gone. Found one in Wales secondhand, but that sold before I could get to it...tracked one down in Paris but that sold too. 

Eventually I found the last one in the world for sale at Wildwood. I couldn't get to the US for five months but Bruce did the deal and they held it for me, sorted out my CITES cert and everything. Amazing service.

I saw this the other day and meant to ask you if this was like yours. It's the only Maple AJ I can remember seeing. https://reverb.com/item/33984260-2015-gibson-advanced-jumbo-maple-custom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that used one is $500 more than Wildwood charged for a new one. Telluride Music gets some nice guitars but pricing is 100% Tourist Town.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...