Gibson Brands Forums

Recommendation to replace Epi EJ200

schnebbles

7 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

He seems to be a pretty good dude.

I saw this the other day and meant to ask you if this was like yours. It's the only Maple AJ I can remember seeing. https://reverb.com/item/33984260-2015-gibson-advanced-jumbo-maple-custom

That's identical to mine! The one I have is officially called an "Advanced Jumbo Flame Deluxe", but it's just a fancy name for a maple AJ... the one in the Reverb link is exactly the same as mine right down to the Schaller Grandtune machines. 

I took the Baggs Element out of mine and fitted a Sunrise, and the whole guitar is just glorious. It records brilliantly, is a superb writing instrument, terrific live guitar, it really ticks all boxes. Quite possibly my favourite of all the guitars I've owned over the years, pipping even my beloved SJ200. 

The way it came into my possession was fortuitous and downright bizarre. After putting a deposit on it, I was booked to play a wedding in Colorado...the guy in question has been into my music for many years and was willing to fly me out from the UK, put me in a hotel for a week and pay a handsome fee for me to appear. Chances like this don't occur very often, so I of course humbly accepted. 

As luck would have it, the fee he was offering to pay me for the week (flights and accommodation aside) was just over what the balance I owed on the Maple AJ equated to, so I suggested that he pay my fee direct to Wildwood, and that I'd collect the guitar when I flew in and use it for the wedding show. He thought this was a terrific idea and loved that I would thereafter be using a guitar that was associated with him for touring and recording etc. 

Sadly, a week before the wedding was due to happen, I had a very long and emotionally charged email from him saying that things hadn't worked out between he and his fiancée, and that the wedding would no longer be happening.

I urged him to cancel the sale with Wildwood and use the money from the guitar to put towards the next phase of his life, but he steadfastly refused, and insisted that I still fly out, still take delivery of the guitar and maybe get together with him to hit the town and cheer him up. 

I was astonished at his generosity. I accepted his offer and, along with my sister who lives just outside Denver, we had a crazy and brilliant week in Colorado, lots of great meals out, live music and laughter, and forged an amazing friendship...it's a guitar that's made all the more special by the remarkable story behind it, and I can't imagine ever being without it.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2020 at 3:38 PM, Jinder said:

That's identical to mine! The one I have is officially called an "Advanced Jumbo Flame Deluxe", but it's just a fancy name for a maple AJ... the one in the Reverb link is exactly the same as mine right down to the Schaller Grandtune machines. 

I took the Baggs Element out of mine and fitted a Sunrise, and the whole guitar is just glorious. It records brilliantly, is a superb writing instrument, terrific live guitar, it really ticks all boxes. Quite possibly my favourite of all the guitars I've owned over the years, pipping even my beloved SJ200. 

The way it came into my possession was fortuitous and downright bizarre. After putting a deposit on it, I was booked to play a wedding in Colorado...the guy in question has been into my music for many years and was willing to fly me out from the UK, put me in a hotel for a week and pay a handsome fee for me to appear. Chances like this don't occur very often, so I of course humbly accepted. 

As luck would have it, the fee he was offering to pay me for the week (flights and accommodation aside) was just over what the balance I owed on the Maple AJ equated to, so I suggested that he pay my fee direct to Wildwood, and that I'd collect the guitar when I flew in and use it for the wedding show. He thought this was a terrific idea and loved that I would thereafter be using a guitar that was associated with him for touring and recording etc. 

Sadly, a week before the wedding was due to happen, I had a very long and emotionally charged email from him saying that things hadn't worked out between he and his fiancée, and that the wedding would no longer be happening.

I urged him to cancel the sale with Wildwood and use the money from the guitar to put towards the next phase of his life, but he steadfastly refused, and insisted that I still fly out, still take delivery of the guitar and maybe get together with him to hit the town and cheer him up. 

I was astonished at his generosity. I accepted his offer and, along with my sister who lives just outside Denver, we had a crazy and brilliant week in Colorado, lots of great meals out, live music and laughter, and forged an amazing friendship...it's a guitar that's made all the more special by the remarkable story behind it, and I can't imagine ever being without it.

Not that is quite an acquisition story. You and that guitar already had quite a story with each other going before you even met.

On 9/11/2020 at 8:49 AM, Mr. Paul said:

I believe that used one is $500 more than Wildwood charged for a new one. Telluride Music gets some nice guitars but pricing is 100% Tourist Town.

I thought I had seen some non-Maples down that low before all this stuff hit and prices went wonkers.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...