Gibson Brands Forums

Hello and new Gibson soon

Dub-T-123

22 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Not gonna lie if I had the choice it would have been a plain black case. I understand why they did the “historic” case but I’m only interested in the guitar. The case looks kinda tacky to me

Cases are for transport and storage.

Thankyou Steve and Chris!!

I am finding myself just lost in this guitar. I am kindof stunned at how much I love it right away. It feels like magic. 

I actually think this may be the best guitar I’ve ever played. Gibson has done such a great job on this I am just blown away

• Like 3

I want to give you guys the aforementioned “complete skippy” but I’m not sure where to begin

Aesthetically the guitar is a 10/10. It is flawless and as far as I can tell looks identical what you’d think a brand new ‘59 would look like. 

The case is actually really nice in person but you can see that the guitar is supported by the neck in the case. There is a big gap between the back of the guitar and the bottom of the case around the neck joint area. The tuners seem to be able to hit the sides of the case somewhat so I’d be worried about it taking an impact in that case

The neck of the guitar is beautiful. The fretboard binding is thinner than Im used to on my Standard SG which gives a little more space to the E strings. The side dot inlays are tortoiseshell which have a beautiful translucent quality that really looks nice when you’re holding the guitar. The fretboard is beautiful dark rosewood and the inlays are beautiful. The Gibson inlay on the headstock is sortof a gold bubbly looking material that looks extremely nice and way cooler than the MOP on my Standard SG. The headstock veneer is noticably thinner than my SG and somehow the headstock shape just looks a little more “correct” or something. Tuners are drilled in a nice straight line and feel tight and accurate. They didn’t install any tuner crooked which really pleases me

The feeling of the neck is harder to describe but Wildwood includes measurements of the neck thickness at the nut and 12th fret which helped me choose this one. The thickness of this one is pretty much between the avg 60s and 50s spec and feels awesome. It’s substantial but fast. My hand doesn’t cramp up with this neck and you can do any extreme bend with ease and no problems.

The nut appears to be bone and is just perfectly cut. I’m not sure how much Wildwood altered this if at all but it is as good as it gets. The string spacing is absolutely ideal and gives the neck a precise and accurate feel

The fretwork is flawless. It looks beautiful and has no buzzes or weak spots or anything weird. Just flawless. 

The woods themselves have beautiful chatoyance and grain. The maple has mineral streaks and all that. The ‘hog is beautiful and light weight. Plucking a single string causes the body to resonate with more power than I’ve experienced on another guitar. You feel the whole guitar resonate with each note. I have to say this resonant quality is so noticeable it makes me wonder if there’s really something to the hide glue construction. 

The pickups are just magical. I don’t know how much of the sound is the guitar and how much is the pickups but this thing sounds punchy, clear, powerful, smooth, articulate, blah blah. It sounds ridiculously good. Just more punchy and bold and clear than my SG with $$$ BareKnuckle pickups.

The action of the pots is super smooth and effective. I plugged into my 5e3 bright channel 1 somewhat cranked and the LP will go from Kenny Burrell to the Stooges without touching the amp. And each sound is GOOOOOD

Overall I don’t think there is anything negative to be said about the quality of the guitar. If I had to point out a negative it would be that I don’t have a lot of confidence in how much the case will protect the guitar. 

If I find a negative aspect of the guitar I’ll let you guys know but my overall opinion is that 2020 Gibson Custom Shop seems to have set the bar higher than ever before. This guitar was dated mid/early March 2020 btw so most likely the actual build took place before quarantine etc took effect in the US

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

I want to give you guys the aforementioned “complete skippy” but I’m not sure where to begin

Aesthetically the guitar is a 10/10. It is flawless and as far as I can tell looks identical what you’d think a brand new ‘59 would look like. 

The case is actually really nice in person but you can see that the guitar is supported by the neck in the case. There is a big gap between the back of the guitar and the bottom of the case around the neck joint area. The tuners seem to be able to hit the sides of the case somewhat so I’d be worried about it taking an impact in that case

The neck of the guitar is beautiful. The fretboard binding is thinner than Im used to on my Standard SG which gives a little more space to the E strings. The side dot inlays are tortoiseshell which have a beautiful translucent quality that really looks nice when you’re holding the guitar. The fretboard is beautiful dark rosewood and the inlays are beautiful. The Gibson inlay on the headstock is sortof a gold bubbly looking material that looks extremely nice and way cooler than the MOP on my Standard SG. The headstock veneer is noticably thinner than my SG and somehow the headstock shape just looks a little more “correct” or something. Tuners are drilled in a nice straight line and feel tight and accurate. They didn’t install any tuner crooked which really pleases me

The feeling of the neck is harder to describe but Wildwood includes measurements of the neck thickness at the nut and 12th fret which helped me choose this one. The thickness of this one is pretty much between the avg 60s and 50s spec and feels awesome. It’s substantial but fast. My hand doesn’t cramp up with this neck and you can do any extreme bend with ease and no problems.

The nut appears to be bone and is just perfectly cut. I’m not sure how much Wildwood altered this if at all but it is as good as it gets. The string spacing is absolutely ideal and gives the neck a precise and accurate feel

The fretwork is flawless. It looks beautiful and has no buzzes or weak spots or anything weird. Just flawless. 

The woods themselves have beautiful chatoyance and grain. The maple has mineral streaks and all that. The ‘hog is beautiful and light weight. Plucking a single string causes the body to resonate with more power than I’ve experienced on another guitar. You feel the whole guitar resonate with each note. I have to say this resonant quality is so noticeable it makes me wonder if there’s really something to the hide glue construction. 

The pickups are just magical. I don’t know how much of the sound is the guitar and how much is the pickups but this thing sounds punchy, clear, powerful, smooth, articulate, blah blah. It sounds ridiculously good. Just more punchy and bold and clear than my SG with $$$ BareKnuckle pickups.

The action of the pots is super smooth and effective. I plugged into my 5e3 bright channel 1 somewhat cranked and the LP will go from Kenny Burrell to the Stooges without touching the amp. And each sound is GOOOOOD

Overall I don’t think there is anything negative to be said about the quality of the guitar. If I had to point out a negative it would be that I don’t have a lot of confidence in how much the case will protect the guitar. 

If I find a negative aspect of the guitar I’ll let you guys know but my overall opinion is that 2020 Gibson Custom Shop seems to have set the bar higher than ever before. This guitar was dated mid/early March 2020 btw so most likely the actual build took place before quarantine etc took effect in the US

Has your bOner subsided since you got it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Did they use hide glue?  Asking for a friend.

rct

6 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

... (edited for brevity by OrdinaryNimda)

Looks like a 24/7 guitar, the kind that can't be put down, come rain, sleet or snow.
So the case is there just like an ornament, always empty.  

CONGRATS! And thanx for the great review.🙂

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 7:38 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Has your bOner subsided since you got it?

I gotta come back and say surprisingly no I actually feel more excited about the guitar each time I open the case and pick it up. If anything I like the guitar more now than the day I got it!

Actually the LP is making me reconsider the redundancy of my non Gibson guitars. I could see myself selling the Ric and a Strat to get maybe a Gibson with P90s or something

I don’t wanna sound like a Gibson fanboy but I think since I’ve done almost all my guitar practicing on the SG, there’s something about that Gibson feel that I bond with. When I pick up a Strat I just can never get into it. The Ric is great but the neck is just too wide and flat for my hand it starts to cramp after a while

That grain must just POP in person.  When you pick the guitar up and go side to side with you get that 3D effect, you won't catch that in a photo.

It might be what you get used to but I don't get along with non-Gibson necks, they just don't feel right. 

It looks crazy. The way it feels and sounds I won’t hesitate to say it is my new favorite guitar. I don’t want to put it down.

Definitely agree that Gibson feels best. The neck shape is perfect for the left hand. The angle the neck meets the body at puts the strings in a better position for my right hand as well. Small differences that make it feel like a nice sofa vs a folding chair 

I think it is what you are raised on, what you grow up guitar with.  I had an assortment of Les Pauls, L6, Firebird, when I was young, but used way more Strats and Teles.  When I think of "guitar" it is a Telecaster, specifically my number one.  I loved my Gibsons very much.

rct

9 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

I gotta come back and say surprisingly no I actually feel more excited about the guitar each time I open the case and pick it up. If anything I like the guitar more now than the day I got it!

Actually the LP is making me reconsider the redundancy of my non Gibson guitars. I could see myself selling the Ric and a Strat to get maybe a Gibson with P90s or something

I don’t wanna sound like a Gibson fanboy but I think since I’ve done almost all my guitar practicing on the SG, there’s something about that Gibson feel that I bond with. When I pick up a Strat I just can never get into it. The Ric is great but the neck is just too wide and flat for my hand it starts to cramp after a while

Hmmm....a Gibson LP with P90s changed my playing life and brought me to this forum.   As you know.   The neck is incredibly comfortable. 

I played one of the current reissues in Guitar Village, I went in there shortly before lockdown. As it was Sunday there were 2 older guys staffing the shop and one of them absolutely insisted that I play one of their newly-arrived reissues which over here in UK are around £5k (GBP).   Yeah, it was extremely impressive too. 

Another Strat you can get anytime - but that Ric is a bit special....good for certain things I should think.

[thumbup]

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 3:58 PM, jdgm said:

Hmmm....a Gibson LP with P90s changed my playing life and brought me to this forum.   As you know.   The neck is incredibly comfortable. 

I played one of the current reissues in Guitar Village, I went in there shortly before lockdown. As it was Sunday there were 2 older guys staffing the shop and one of them absolutely insisted that I play one of their newly-arrived reissues which over here in UK are around £5k (GBP).   Yeah, it was extremely impressive too. 

Another Strat you can get anytime - but that Ric is a bit special....good for certain things I should think.

[thumbup]

Thanks I’ve been thinking kinda the same thing with the Ric. I’m torn cause I love everything about it except the neck and that really deters me from wanting to grab it most of the time

As always I wish you could come over and check out the guitar yourself. Which reissue had you tried? 

I’m really trying to focus on improving my playing with this guitar. So far it’s working great in that I feel like I’m making small steps forward which is significant for me since I’ve felt a bit stagnant. Just trying to force myself to learn songs that I know are too hard for me where I’m at 😛

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 11:52 AM, rct said:

I think it is what you are raised on, what you grow up guitar with.  I had an assortment of Les Pauls, L6, Firebird, when I was young, but used way more Strats and Teles.  When I think of "guitar" it is a Telecaster, specifically my number one.  I loved my Gibsons very much.

rct

My Tele is my favorite non Gibson for sure. Somehow I’m just not into Strats (even though I have 3)

On 8/25/2020 at 12:55 AM, Dub-T-123 said:

Which reissue had you tried? 

Hmm...must have been a 60th Anniv '59 I think.   The neck was quite similar to my LPC - chunky but not clubby.  

Your one looks beautiful.   When I got mine it was such a revelation to play - so different to, and much easier than, a 25 1/2" scale guitar (though the longer scale has its own strong points) - that it pushed me up to another level. 

When I DO play live again (whenever that is) I am taking my best gear, a big amp and......it will get loud. 

Best wishes, hope you are well.

• 3 weeks later...