Gibson Brands Forums

Early 1970’s SJN

SCKodiak

I’ve owned only 2 guitars since high school, a ‘72 SG Standard (bought new) and a ? (70-73) SJN acoustic bought used around 1976. I am interested in finding more about the SJN I haven’t found a similar one online and curious if something was changed (bridge looks backwards and is all wood). Inlays looks like Hummingbird or J-50?). Please direct me to the best topic area.

8DEC00AD-58FF-49B8-9E0C-50D70F16CAFC.jpeg

Edited by SCKodiak
Clarify, typos

You may call the bridge backwards, , , but it actually wasn't for the times. Gibson turned them 180 degrees during 1968 and they stayed that way through the 70s. I'd say yours is a 1969/70/71 Country Western with the not so loud rosewood saddle-insert. As you may know the alternative in ceramic. Check the serial # on the headstock and look it up here.

http://www.guitarhq.com/gibson.html

Then do come back and share what you found.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Btw. it's a good idea to show the entire guitar when asking about these things. In this case the logo matters and would literally add the overall pic. 
Hope you enjoy the old square - something tells me you do. 

It is probably a longer scaled and heavier braced design than the model it sprang from. These moves too happened in 68 and it made the CWs (and others) something else.                                                   You may know that the square shouldered version of the Country Western was introduced in 1962.

If memory serves me correctly, an SJ built in '70 will have  the heavy single X brace the same as guitars built the year before.   Guitars built in '71 would have the Double X brace and bridge plate which filled the entire space in between the two.   Gibson being Gibson though it is safe to assume there would have been a short transition period between the '70 and '71 models.  I think '70 was also a transition year for the pickguard so you could have gotten either the older style large pointy one or teardrop depending on when in the year the guitar was built.

Edited by zombywoof