Gibson Brands Forums

INCOMING!!!

SteveFord

Back in High School Guitar Player magazine had just been launched and I started reading all of Tom Wheeler's articles about Gibsons from days gone by and my drug addled teen-aged mind was permanently warped by the pictures I saw there.  

I saw an early black Les Paul with P90s and my eyeballs popped  out of my head with an audible BOING! noise.  Holy Iconic Guitars, Batman!!!

I've wanted one ever since.

A little over 40 years later here comes a modern day facsimile of sorts.

lRa6F37.jpg

I'm really excited about this one.

(don't tell the wife)

Edited by SteveFord
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That's a 2018 Classic.

The last one is going to be a Firebird VII.  I did something really stupid (went to a stereo store) and put myself into a bind and had to sell mine years ago.

I missed one for $1900 and then another one for $2200 in the last two weeks.  

One will turn up sooner or later.  If anyone stumbles across one, please let me know.

I'm not sure, I think it'll be 13 electrics, one nice acoustic and two low budget acoustics.

When a Firebird VII I can afford finally pops up I will do a group shot.  

Probably be best when The Wife Monster isn't around to jaw away at me.

13 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I'm not sure, I think it'll be 13 electrics, one nice acoustic and two low budget acoustics.

When a Firebird VII I can afford finally pops up I will do a group shot.  

Probably be best when The Wife Monster isn't around to jaw away at me.

You must love being married. I for one can't stand it. How do we as men get rooked into it?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I told my wife.  

Also told her about my next (and final) electric guitar purchase.

I think  I'll start giving portions of my dinner to the dog and see what happens to it before I dig in.

Wise man say, feed dog first until certain. Lol 

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You must love being married. I for one can't stand it. How do we as men get  rooked into it?

You can't live with them and you can't live without them.  I have to admit though, My wife has bought me 7 of the 9 guitars I own. One was a cheap $300.00 12 string acoustic. I traded it off for a better one and didn't tell her as I didn't want to hurt her feelings. She didn't notice the difference.  

• Like 2

That might be the best of the lot. [thumbup]

Almost seems strange to see one in that style where the nitro hasn't had 60 years or so of checking and the numbers on the volume and tone knobs haven't had 60 years of yellowing from tobacco smoke!

Arf!  although the week is still young.

The order is in, now just the wait for it to make its way from Canada to Pennsyltucky.  

I ordered a padded Levy's strap for it as there's no weigh relief so I expect it will weigh as much as an MG Midget.  

The people at Gibson are evil.  Every so often they'll come out with something very similar to things I saw as a kid and then filed away. 

Still on the hunt for that Firebird VII, I'm pretty sure one will pop up by mid September at the latest.  If you've never played one, they may look similar to a Firebird V but feel like a totally different instrument.  The V is real easy to play, the VII is something you have to struggle with - they're heavy, they feel really long, the neck is kind of stout and they're just really weird.  What the hell is this thing and why did I buy it?!?

Edited by SteveFord
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

The order is in, now just the wait for it to make its way from Canada to Pennsyltucky.  

I ordered a padded Levy's strap for it as there's no weigh relief so I expect it will weigh as much as an MG Midget.  

The people at Gibson are evil.  Every so often they'll come out with something very similar to things I saw as a kid and then filed away. 

Still on the hunt for that Firebird VII, I'm pretty sure one will pop up by mid September at the latest.  If you've never played one, they may look similar to a Firebird V but feel like a totally different instrument.  The V is real easy to play, the VII is something you have to struggle with - they're heavy, they feel really long, the neck is kind of stout and they're just really weird.  What the hell is this thing and why did I buy it?!?

Sounds like a VII is like having a wife and a V is like renting a prostitute.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

51 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I had a 59 MGA with an aluminum body that a couple of us could pick up the rear and move it.. I have seen used reissue  F VII's going for around 2k, but no new ones at all...

Found an open box never been played 2013 for 9995 on eBay..

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

Who knows what these people are thinking but he'll have that one for quite some time.  

Here's my last Firebird VII Fun Fact: the neck pick up sounds great, flip to the middle and it's Hmmm let's try the bridge pick up and it's even wimpier than the middle position.  Why have 3 pick ups when only the top one sounds good?  Maybe they're just for looks.

When I sold mine the buyer asked me, "So, that's your main axe, right?" 

Well, ummm, sure! 

All of the above might explain why they probably sell 1000 Firebird Vs to every VII they make.

Edited by SteveFord
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Who knows what these people are thinking but he'll have that one for quite some time.  

Here's my last Firebird VII Fun Fact: the neck pick up sounds great, flip to the middle and it's Hmmm let's try the bridge pick up and it's even wimpier than the middle position.  Why have 3 pick ups when only the top one sounds good?  Maybe they're just for looks.

When I sold mine the buyer asked me, "So, that's your main axe, right?" 

Well, ummm, sure! 

Typically the neck pup position is inherently louder so the mid and bridge would need to be wound progressively hotter which also has an effect on the sound.  Other brands do attempt to balance the pup volume, Gibson doesn't always seem to do it..

• Like 1

Exactly who do you want this guitar. Every thing you say about it is negative or am I reading this wrong Steve. Excuse me Chris Martin IV, I'd like the D-28 that sounds like trash and can ya charge me an extra grand to boot.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

8 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Exactly who do you want this guitar. Every thing you say about it is negative or am I reading this wrong Steve. Excuse me Chris Martin IV, I'd like the D-28 that sounds like trash and can ya charge me an extra grand to boot.

I've got to agree w/ Sarge here-  you're not really talking this one up.  What is the draw to the VII for you?