Gibson Brands Forums

Under the pickups

ant7629

Hey guys, I recently bought this 2007 LP Standard and I'm very impressed with it. Quite a lot of differences between it and my 2008 standard. Couldn't really say one was better, they are just "different".

CIMG0805-1.jpg

Anyway, I was changing the strings earlier and thought I would take a look under the pickups. The neck pup cavity revealed VS, which I guess is for Vintage Sunburst but I found this under the bridged pup. I know what the LP is for, but what about the 6+?

CIMG0831.jpg

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ant

The LP6+ is part of the model number. Such as LP6+VSHN1 would be the model of your guitar. Les Paul with 60's style neck plus VintageSunburst (the VS) and NickelHardware (the NH1).

Premium Plus (what they where called in previous years) would by LP6PP+VSNH1 where the PP is for Premium Plus even though some standard tops could pass for Premium Plus Tops. One would see LP6PP in the bridge cavity for Premium Plus. Here is link Gibson LP Premium Plus

Are nine was correct, "6" for '60s neck and the "+" is for plus top. I know that technically all Standards have plus tops now, but keep in mind that on the factory floor, there may be dozens of unfinished, unsanded (think BFG) bodies lying around. The code in the pickup cavity is a quick way to identify the body.

Are nine was correct' date=' "6" for '60s neck and the "+" is for plus top. I know that technically all Standards have plus tops now, but keep in mind that on the factory floor, there may be dozens of unfinished, unsanded (think BFG) bodies lying around. The code in the pickup cavity is a quick way to identify the body.[/quote']

Sorry but the "+" does not mean Plus top. I have LP5+ in my pickup cavity and it is not a Premium Plus. In 2007 you either got a Standard Top (AA Maple Top) or a Premium Plus Top (AAA Maple Top) with regards to Les Paul Standards.

To OP, call Gibson support with your Serial Number and they will explain everything and give you the model number and all.

I had a similar question with my Studio Plus a while ago. I know DB is for Desert Burst, but I didn't know what it said in the other p/u cavity. Is it LPC+ or LPO+?

StringChange004.jpg

StringChange005.jpg

P.S. Hope I didn't hijack,

"Plus" and "Premium Plus" are two different things. Premium Plus would usually be indicated by "PP". Plus is one level above a plain top.

Right and Standards in '07 did not come in plaintops, the all have a AA tops which indicates some sort of Flame Top. Some more than others. And they did not call it "Plus" tops as it was just a Les Paul Standard. That is my point as some think that a "Plus"Top is something like a Premium Plus when in reality it is just the regular AA or flame top. I did mentaion the LPPP in my reply to help with the question and even posted a link to help.

Archived