Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar magazine feature on 1940s Gibsons

jt

Hello, all.

Yesterday Guitar, the UK's most popular guitar magazine, posted this story about WWII-era Gibson flattops: Gibson in the 1940s: Kalamazoo Gals and Banner Headstocks.

The story features 2, imho, nicely produced videos. The first is of my interview at the old Gibson factory of the last surviving woman, who turned 98 in January, who worked at Gibson during WWII (the producer wisely kept me off camera), (I asked my good friend to play one of my favorites of his compositions on my 1943 SJ for this video):

The second is my interview/performance on my went-to-WWII 1943 SJ, recorded at Gibson headquarters in London:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

John, those videos were great! Very professional looking. Do you know if the story will run in the print issue as well? If so, I'd like to get my hands on a copy.

Also, sorry to hear about your health issues. I hope you are recovering well.

Lars

45 minutes ago, Lars68 said:

John, those videos were great! Very professional looking. Do you know if the story will run in the print issue as well? If so, I'd like to get my hands on a copy.

Also, sorry to hear about your health issues. I hope you are recovering well.

Lars

Lars, great question! I'd also like a copy. I'll ask!

Wonder what qualifications/specifications it took for ordinary infantry-men to be allowed to bring a guitar to the front. Did you just walk in and told the draft-officer, "I'm a good entertainer which would keep the spirit up over there" and then once in a while someone got thumbs up. Like "I'm an aquaralist and would like to bring a set of watercolours" or "I'm a magician and believe the coming situation would benefit from a wand, , , this silk top-hat and a dove." Eeehh, wait a minute, , , the Dove wasn't introduced until 1962 ! But still. .

D9QBdlh.jpg

Very nice films. Tried to find a WW2-shot of a guitar at the front that I posted long time ago - in vain. Well, , , the one above is gentler. . 

Edited by E-minor7

9 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Wonder what qualifications/specifications it took for ordinary infantry-men to be allowed to bring a guitar to the front. Did you just walk in and told the draft-officer, "I'm a good entertainer which would keep the spirit up over there" and then once in a while someone got thumbs up. Like "I'm an aquaralist and would like to bring a set of watercolours" or "I'm a magician and believe the coming situation would benefit from a wand, , , this silk top-hat and a dove." Eeehh, wait the a minute, , , the Dove wasn't introduced until 1962 ! But still. .

D9QBdlh.jpg

Very nice films. Tried to find a WW2-shot of a guitar at the front that I posted long time ago - in vain. Well, , , the one above is gentler. . 

Wonderful photo. Thanks for sharing it with us.

As best I know, soldiers did not need permission to bring a musical instrument to the battlefront. I'll research the question. Thanks for asking it!

• Like 1