Gibson Brands Forums

What do you like about Gibson?

Anton Khvalko

Hi guys! I am an aspiring motion designer. I am doing a short video about Gibson and I want to know your preferences.  

To create a good video, I need to find out why the musicians chose this particular guitar and how it attracts them. If it does not make it difficult, please answer four questions:

1.  What are the main advantages of Gibson and why you chose this particular guitar?
  2.  Which Gibson models and colors do you like?
  3. Who is your favorite musician who plays Gibson?
  4.  What are your associations with Gibson?

Tell me a little about yourself it will help me a lot. Thank.

Edited by Anton Khvalko

1.  What are the main advantages of Gibson and why you chose this particular guitar? ES-339 Studio. because of its sound, maple neck, torrified maple fretboard. simplified controls. no pickguard. 57 Classic pickups. Smaller size suits gigging.
  2.  Which Gibson models and colors do you like? L5 / ES-335 / ES-339 wine red or natural
  3. Who is your favorite musician who plays Gibson? David Hidalgo
  4.  What are your associations with Gibson? This forum / I have bought 2 Gibsons from new.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  I'm from uk. Play in a Soul & Ska band for 20 years. Also record original songs at home and in Studios. Retired 2 years ago. Music is the most important thing I do & has been since I was 16. Also do karate (18 years), walk, swim, dance & do photography. 

1.  What are the main advantages of Gibson and why you chose this particular guitar?  One for me which isn't a playing advantage is there American Made.  From what people are saying about the newer ones is Gibson quality is back.
  2.  Which Gibson models and colors do you like? BB King Signature Lucille, Les Paul's and SG's. Color doesn't matter to me as long as its not blue.
  3. Who is your favorite musician who plays Gibson? Frank Zappa, Jimmy Page, Steve Howe, John, Paul and George.
  4.  What are your associations with Gibson? I've owned 4 Les Paul's, 4 SG's, one The Paul, one ES-335, one BB King Sig Model, one ES-225 TD,  one Explorer, and one J-15.

Retired from the military in 2011. Work as a maintenance electrician for a NASA wind tunnel. Gave up electric guitars a few years ago and now just play acoustic guitars. I collect vinyl (albums).

11 hours ago, Anton Khvalko said:

Hi guys! I am an aspiring motion designer. I am doing a short video about Gibson and I want to know your preferences.  

To create a good video, I need to find out why the musicians chose this particular guitar and how it attracts them. If it does not make it difficult, please answer four questions:

1.  What are the main advantages of Gibson and why you chose this particular guitar?

1) Tone and feeling of their guitars - Les Paul and Nighthawk (NH no longer in production)

2) I like the traditional bursts and the solid goldtop/ebony finishes.  I'm thinking 50s

3) Don't know, don't care...  I like Gibsons ever since I started playing 26 years ago. 

4) No association with Gibson.  Just my favorite traditional solid-body guitar that feels comfortable for me

1: Gibson for me as well as looks is about the sound. Nothing roars quite like a good Gibson (through a Marshall JCM800 of course 😉 ) . I think having been around forums a lot that I can safely say that a lot of us buy the guitars that our guitar heroes play or played.. Its why 50s deigned guitars are so popular cos a lot of the popular players came from that era.. Electric rock players can be very conservative when it comes to their equipment. I was certainly very influenced by Slash in my youth in terms of making me want to play.

2: I like Les Pauls and Les Paul Double Cutaways (DCs). Colour.. Wine red, dark sunburst and Goldtops.

3: Slash, Jimmy Page (cant choose just one) 🙂

4: I like their guitars and some of the people who play them.. And this forum of course..

•  What are the main advantages of Gibson and why you chose this particular guitar?
  •  Which Gibson models and colors do you like?
  • Who is your favorite musician who plays Gibson?
  •  What are your associations with Gibson?

Because Gibson has owned Epiphone since 57, or there abouts, I have been attracted to Epi's since the early 60's. Note I have owned many Gibsons but many more Epiphones. Gibsons can normally be counted on to be excellent sounding reliable high quality guitars.

The models I seek are ones that have incredible neck access up to the last high fret like LP DC's and SG's. As I have gotten older I prefer Guitars with P90's for their tone and unique penetrating sound, well illustrated by Leslie West. 

While this was a relatively simple song the LP Jr made it unique.

Jimmy Page was one of the foremost Gibson Players, I think he picked up a lot from Beck and Clapton during the Yardbirds.

Eric Clapton during the Cream years playing mostly a Gibson SG. Or Jimi playing one of his Epiphones below. He also had a Gibson V an SG and a LP, to name a few..

6aa8b_creamjimi.jpg

I have no affiliation with Gibson, how ever I wish they would stop using the antiquated Nitro furniture finish on their guitars..

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Anton Khvalko said:

1. The ergonomics and electronics were substantially different than the Strats I had been playing. I chose this particular Les Paul because after 18 months of playing various guitars this one played and sounded the best. Looks weren't bad either.

2.  I like most Gibson models, and the Desert Burst is my favorite color. My least favorite is the Heritage Cherry Sunburst (I know THE classic LP)

3. Me.

4. I am on their Forum, I own their products, and I speak highly of them whenever I get the chance 🙂

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Hardcore Gibson nuts heads are exploding right now over that statement.

Well I didn't mean to make anyones head explode, I was just expressing my feeling that Gibson should move on to more modern finishes that won't disintegrate so easily, Fender left Nitro behind many years ago..

6 hours ago, mihcmac said:

...Jimi playing one of his Epiphones below. He also had a Gibson V an SG and a LP, to name a few..

6aa8b_creamjimi.jpg

You do know that this image isn't 'real'?

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Thanks 1

1. They are well made but I don't use mine much now, I prefer my Matsumoku made 84 Aria for band stuff and don't have time for much else...but my old Epiphone and Gibson are nicely made and have been around for longer than I have.

2. Of the classics...Les Paul in ice tea burst or black (but not white), SG in cherry, LP Junior doublecut  in cherry or tv yellow, Firebird in sunburst...thats probably the main ones. Epiphone 63-69 solids in Polaris White and Silver Fox are awesome.

3. Angus Young, Paul Kossoff, Jimmy Page probably top 3 of many

4. Nothing other than owning 2 and being a (minor) member of this forum

Live in Australia and play in a pub rock/grunge/alternate band, writing songs, singing and playing rhythm behind a sh!t hot lead guitarist. Not a good player myself  and don't much care cos it's good fun anyhow and at least I'm out there doing it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Well I didn't mean to make anyones head explode, I was just expressing my feeling that Gibson should move on to more modern finishes that won't disintegrate so easily, Fender left Nitro behind many years ago..

Just for the record.

I agree with you & feel the same way about it.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 2:52 AM, Anton Khvalko said:

1. American Made, Set Neck, Neck Angle, Nibs on some models.

2. Les Paul.  Reverse Fire-Burst (my guitar), Heritage Cherry Sunburst, Tobacco Burst, Desert Burst, Iced Tea Burst, Gold Top.

3. Alex Lifeson, Jimmy Page.

4. I own one.

I have been playing guitar for about 48 years.  RUSH is my favorite band, of course I play a lot of RUSH music, and 70's Classic Rock.  I taught my twin sons to play, one plays guitar, the other plays bass.  They are 28 years old and have been playing for about 15 years.  I also play acoustic, but mostly electric.

Edited by LPguitarman

10 hours ago, pippy said:

You do know that this image isn't 'real'?

Philip.

Had no clue it wasn't real..

7 hours ago, jdgm said:

Oh for goodness sake!

Here is the original photo: Newport 1969 at Devonshire Downs.

Jimi1969.jpg

I had found the other image a few times.  So this what it was supposed to look like.. But now the Strat looks small to me.. Oh well....

Edited....... On the Epi version I can see anomalies around his left wrist, the guitar cord isn't going to the right place, the guitar strap coming down from his right shoulder isn't actually connected to the guitar and the angle allowed by the belly relief is too flat....

There are plenty of shots from the early days of him playing Epi's but the desire for a more modern shot suckered me in..

6aa8b_creamjimi.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

5 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Had no clue it wasn't real..

I had found the other image a few times.  So this what it was supposed to look like.. But now the Strat looks small to me.. Oh well....

Jimi was only 5'11". Maybe it's the pants.

• Haha 1

The image I found and posted has been so toned/sharpened/colorised/filtered/shrunk etc etc that you need to see more and better ones to have an idea -

https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=Hendrix+Newport+69+Devonshire+Downs+images&client=firefox-b-d&ved=2ahUKEwjx9uSelpnrAhWUQEEAHTs3AzsQsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1920&bih=1086

A famous gig - he played on 1st day and something went wrong so came back the next, big jam, white Strat, groupie incident, Buddy Miles, Eric Burdon.  And so on.

Thread hijack so fair enough:

1 - Quality - ease of playing due to shorter scale than Fender (important!) - I always wanted a good one

2 - Most of them especially the archtop jazz guitars

3 - Tempted to say Hendrix as he had a Flying V but these days too many to choose - Wes, Steve Khan, Jim Hall - most jazz players go through a Gibson period.  B.B.King was (IS) the quintessential Gibson guitar player IMO.   Abercrombie, Metheny, Scofield, DiMeola, Mclaughlin, Coryell, and all the 50s straight-ahead jazz players, played Gibson at one time or other.

4 - I own more than one

Am in UK and have been playing for 45 years. 

Over 60, reasonably fit but beginning to have muscle and tendon/nerve problems in hands.  In 2 bands, gigged regularly  until pandem-onium began. 

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 8:52 AM, Anton Khvalko said:

What are the main advantages of Gibson and why you chose this particular guitar?

You are asking us to put sounds into words? OK; don't look (as it isn't the correct footage for the soundtrack) but listen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRu7Pt42x6Y

That's it. That's why. That's all.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2

Gibson generally means good build-quality, and a long, rich history of American guitar making. 
    Great resale value, if a given guitar isn't your favorite in the long run. 

I love Les Pauls, and have owned many of them over the years. All colours are fine, except for the silver-burst. I'm not a fan of that one. 
    Firebirds appeal to me, though I only own one, and it's the Pelham Blue Firebird Zero. Fabulous, but a lower-end guitar in the grand scheme of things. 
    Double-cuts and Juniors are awesome. Explorers too. 

Jeff Lynne. 

I have loved and owned them, on and off, since the mid-1970's. 
    My first was a 1971 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe (gold-top). 
    My latest and only Gibson at this moment is the Firebird Zero. 
    Many have come and gone since then. 

The latest one that I sold was my 2018 Les Paul BFG P90. 
    I decided to save my money and find a proper (original year issue) BFG from 2007 or 2008 , with the wooden knobs, Humbucker in the bridge, P90 in the neck position, and kill-switch. 
    🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sparquelito said:

The latest one that I sold was my 2018 Les Paul BFG P90. 
I decided to save my money and find a proper (original year issue) BFG from 2007 or 2008 , with the wooden knobs, Humbucker in the bridge, P90 in the neck position, and kill-switch. 
🙂

Nice.. I agree those ones were cool... You may remember I used to have a Gary Moore BFG. I loved everything about it but the fat neck. This was before I started building guitars though or I would have shaved the neck down myself and it would have been a keeper... 

mkPVV5C.jpg

emLlEtH.jpg

mUuii6i.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1