Gibson Brands Forums

Sticky Neck Syndrome

SteveFord

My 07 Explorer had a sticky back of the neck.  As I'm the 2nd owner I don't know what went on before I got it.  Maybe a lot of wax, maybe peanut butter and jelly, maybe it just sat too long in the case.

I tried buffing with water on a paper towel, buffing with Virutoso polishes, leaving it out of the case for a few weeks, it never got quite right.

Last night I finally decided to hope for the best, put a little lighter fluid on an old towel, gently buffed the neck, gave it 30 seconds to evaporate and then water on a towel and then buffed dry.

Success!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SteveFord said:

My 07 Explorer had a sticky back of the neck.  As I'm the 2nd owner I don't know what went on before I got it.  Maybe a lot of wax, maybe peanut butter and jelly, maybe it just sat too long in the case.

I tried buffing with water on a paper towel, buffing with Virutoso polishes, leaving it out of the case for a few weeks, it never got quite right.

Last night I finally decided to hope for the best, put a little lighter fluid on an old towel, gently buffed the neck, gave it 30 seconds to evaporate and then water on a towel and then buffed dry.

Success!

You didn't light it like Jimi at Monterey did you?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Success!

Yep,  was gonna recommend Naphtha. Well done!

• 5 weeks later...

It kept coming back and I finally found the problem: me.

Every so often I'd lay the guitar on a leather couch and it would pick up some Lexol Leather Conditioner residue.  Just enough to make a weird, sticky spot which would get dragged around by my thumb.

Note to self: don't lay guitar on leather couch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

It kept coming back and I finally found the problem: me.

Every so often I'd lay the guitar on a leather couch and it would pick up some Lexol Leather Conditioner residue.  Just enough to make a weird, sticky spot which would get dragged around by my thumb.

Note to self: don't lay guitar on leather couch.

If we had to compile info like this into a book, it'd be the size of a telephone directory...