Gibson Brands Forums

What do you use to create your unique Sound..

mihcmac

What gives me my tone - Whatever guitar I have on hand through my blues jr.  Right now that's an old SG where someone put seymore duncans in.  I'm thinking those pickups might get changed to 57 classics so will see what that will do to my tone.   And then I was thinking of trying a marshall out and seeing what that does.  Regardless, what ever guitar i pick up, electric, acoustic etc...  i always sound like me.

• Like 1

I think, as many people in here have said, that what makes your sound unique is your hands...

Also a considerable amount of expertise and knowledge of how to use the accouterments or tools of a modern musician...

This could be a good place to ask questions about some of the things listed here...

Mostly my hands/fingers.  If you're more interested in my favorite effects its the holy trinity- distortion, chorus, and delay.  I like tube amps, but am not exclusive and like the simplicity and stability of a solid state.  Right now, today, I'm using a Spark amp by Positive Grid.  It makes sounding really good incredibly easy.

But I may have missed the point entirely 😄 

• Like 1

Gibson Les Paul Classic, '57 & '57 plus pups, through the Automix channel of my Peavey Classic VT Series and MXR 6-Band Equalizer.  That gets me my crunch / clean tone.  I add Chorus and Flanger for my RUSH Tone.  Compression Pedal for boosted/ distorted rythym and leads.  Grunge Pedal for Heavy Metal like Black Sabbath and Judas Priest.  Other effects: MXR Phase, BOSS Digital Delay, Cry Baby Wah, Morley Volume Pedal.  Occasionally switch to the Combined Channel on my amp for a little heavier distortion (not heavier than the Compression or Grunge).  And I sometimes use the Boost switch in my Morley to push a lead a little more.  But, most of my tone is in my fingers and pick attack.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 8:03 AM, kidblast said:

I run stereo, Marshall JTM60-2x12 w/2x12 cab under it.  Fender Hot Rod Deville (4x10)

Guitar goes to a Vox Wah (Clyde McCoy version), then to the pedal board with compressor -> tone bone classic -> burn unit -> Fulltone OCD -> Blackstar Dual HT.

the marshall has a Line 6 DL4 and MM4 in the loop, the Deville has a Line 6 Echo Park.

I use the Deville Gain channel for lead boost which gives me tons of head room for that.

I can use the marshalls "gain"" while running the deville clean as well,  the definition and clarity of that setup is spectacular.

Sounds complicated, but I can get just about any sound I need.

NICE !  

I've been toying with the idea of running dual amps for awhile now. how much flack do you get from the sound man ? lol. I bet it sounds great

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Karloff said:

NICE !  

I've been toying with the idea of running dual amps for awhile now. how much flack do you get from the sound man ? lol. I bet it sounds great

it's not really about more volume, it's about fullness and depth of your sound.   You will find that you can actually use less volume on each of your amps.   What is really cool is when one amp is clean, and the other is set to a break up or have some crunch.,  rhythm notes just pop[ out when you need them to.  I found that you do need a good boost setup for solos b/c the amps are not cranked up as much.

Try it, what have you got to loose? you just need a good way to split the signal from your pedal board.

and besides, at the end of the night, who pays the sound guy?  -- you do...  Tell him what I tell our guy.. "Stay in your lane bro..."  🙂

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, kidblast said:

it's not really about more volume, it's about fullness and depth of your sound.   You will find that you can actually use less volume on each of your amps.   What is really cool is when one amp is clean, and the other is set to a break up or have some crunch.,  rhythm notes just pop[ out when you need them to.  I found that you do need a good boost setup for solos b/c the amps are not cranked up as much.

Try it, what have you got to loose? you just need a good way to split the signal from your pedal board.

and besides, at the end of the night, who pays the sound guy?  -- you do...  Tell him what I tell our guy.. "Stay in your lane bro..."  🙂

In the late 90's I got a Marshall AVT275 Valvelstate 2x12 Sterio Combo with 4 switchable channels and built in stereo effects, it was a very rich sounding amp. Later in 2005 I upgraded to the AVT150H with two 4x12 cabinets that each cabinet could be switched from stereo to mono so you could stack them having stereo L and R in each cabinet or stereo with mono L and R cabinets. Basically very versatile on how you used your stereo setup, but usually had to explain to the stage engineer that it needed 2 mics..

I really enjoyed the amps partly because I didn't need to use much in the way of external effects, the amp was my pedal board...

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

yea, I'm not looking for more volume. like you said, the spacial quality has to be great. do you use Y splitters, to run thru the loops ? I think you've convinced me to give it a shot. lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Karloff said:

yea, I'm not looking for more volume. like you said, the spacial quality has to be great. do you use Y splitters, to run thru the loops ? I think you've convinced me to give it a shot. lol

I use 1/4" Y adapters on my 6 Roland Cubes, after trying several different brands, I found the best built and longest lasting were RadioShack. The best I have found so far..

02740892_00_200x.jpg

Sorry had to update my links for mono plugs...

Also I use them when possible with Right Angle Plug Cords..... Less strain on the connecters. 

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, mihcmac said:

I use 1/4" Y adapters on my 6 Roland Cubes, after trying several different brands, I found the best built and longest lasting were RadioShack. The best I have found so far..

02740892_00_200x.jpg

Sorry had to update my links for mono plugs...

Also I use them when possible with Right Angle Plug Cords..... Less strain on the connecters. 

Great idea. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Karloff said:

I use two options to splitting the signal. 

1: ABY Switch (like the ones from Radial or Morely, the Radial Big Shot is bit better).  

2: (Preferred setup->) Stereo delay or Modulation pedal.  (aka: Line 6 DL4, or any delay/mod pedal with stereo out.)  It does force you to run the effect in line and not loop it, but to get the true stereo effect you need to do that anyway, and  if you have the amps separated a bit and you will find yourself in  place pretty close to heaven.  I'm not a heavy user of modulation, but Stereo Delay is a total gas.

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 3

Rocker 30 ( dirt) and VHT (clean) on a A/B pedal.  Various pedals that come on and off depending on what we`re doing.

Also I would do a lot of volume and tone changes on the guitar. Pedals are set so I don`t change them.

LP, SG, PRS Bernie, Vintage p90, Tanglewood TSB 59.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

On my recently acquired Yamaha THR30, I'm using very slight amount of flanger just to smooth over any clipped peaks. Its not enough to notice the flanger though. 

Obviously thats just for home use. 

How do you like your THR30, it looks like a pretty versatile modeling amp with nice range of effects. Can you connect to Bluetooth powered speakers and the guitar?

Edited by mihcmac

Well, I thought about it and listened last night at a 3.5 hour rehearsal.  I talked to other guitar player about it.  I don't have a unique sound.  Decent cleans, decent crunchy, probably pretty bad overdrive for most guitar players, just too much.  He is right, every song we do he is over there setting up the right patch in his GT-1000, I am just turning on or off the overdrive or the chorus or sometimes the delay which I rarely use.  He plays pretty much the sound on the record, I find a spot in my limited scope that fits him, away we go.  Last night he set up his Rebel Rebel patch, some flange?, phaser?, deep grind, off he went and started it.  I had some serious clank, bridge pickup, used my right hand to get through the riff the whole song without turning into a mess.  It makes for a deep, wide contrast and we really like that idea.

So a decent guitar into a decent clean amp with a couple pedals for the usual.  Currently a Strymon Sunset for drive and JHS for the 'verb and chorus and delay.  Mini Wah, a little wah because I only use the wah a little.  That's it.

rct

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kidblast said:

I use two options to splitting the signal. 

1: ABY Switch (like the ones from Radial or Morely, the Radial Big Shot is bit better).  

2: (Preferred setup->) Stereo delay or Modulation pedal.  (aka: Line 6 DL4, or any delay/mod pedal with stereo out.)  It does force you to run the effect in line and not loop it, but to get the true stereo effect you need to do that anyway, and  if you have the amps separated a bit and you will find yourself in  place pretty close to heaven.  I'm not a heavy user of modulation, but Stereo Delay is a total gas.

I've gotta try that.  

• Like 1

hey man, didn't mean to hi-jack the thread talking about stereo set ups. 

90% of the time I'm using my 335. sometimes a LP or Firebird.  between me & my amp : tuner/wah/3 different style boosts from Tubular Mods - into front of amp.  then - univibe/mxr delay/chorus/sonic stomp - into loop.    amps - either a Traynor YCS50 or a Black Star Club 40. I still havren't told my wife about the Fender DeVille 4x10 yet. lol           also I don't use a lot of gain.  about 1 oclock on the Traynor & 10 oclock on the Black Star. just enough reverb to hear it

Edited by Karloff
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Karloff said:

hey man, didn't mean to hi-jack the thread talking about stereo set ups. 

90% of the time I'm using my 335. sometimes a LP or Firebird.  between me & my amp : tuner/wah/3 different style boosts from Tubular Mods - into front of amp.  then - univibe/mxr delay/chorus/sonic stomp - into loop.    amps - either a Traynor YCS50 or a Black Star Club 40. I still havren't told my wife about the Fender DeVille 4x10 yet. lol

No Jacking done, just more info on how you make, or want to make your sound..... My first stereo guitar amp was a GK 250ML Lunchbox Amp, it was killer.. 🙂

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 7:29 PM, mihcmac said:

How do you like your THR30, it looks like a pretty versatile modeling amp with nice range of effects. Can you connect to Bluetooth powered speakers and the guitar?

Yes, I bluetooth my music & guitar through the THR simultaneously. I also got the Relay G10 to keep everything wireless. Daylight hours its kept on charge, but I bring it into my sitting room in the evening for fully wireless playing.

I was a bit uncertain at day one, but I love it now. Its a small unit but makes a big sound through twin speakers. Very much benefits from the colab between Line 6 modeling & Yamaha hi-fi. I've only created one preset (via digital link) which is very close to my live sound. 

• Like 1