Gibson Brands Forums

SJ100 Walnut Worth It?

angeloumusic

Dear All,

I am considering acquiring a 2017 SJ100 Walnut.  The seller wants $1650 for it.  In order to buy it, I would have to get rid of my 1973 J-45.

The J-45 I have is a very heavy guitar because of the bracing during that period (they are like tanks) and I want something else with a big sound for chording but that it hopefully a little bit lighter.

Any thoughts on price and the replacement decision?  I have already seen the reviews on this forum of the SJ100 Walnut and they appear to be general positive but they were from some time ago.  As always your insight is appreciated.

I have a maple SJ200 and a koa J45,  so I can only give an opinion based on that.  You already are aware of the  cloud that hangs over  Norlin era Gibsons obviously.   The SJ100 is 'more desirable' overall  (Supply/Demand/pricing wise.   A 2017 is more desirable than a '73.    Walnut VS  mahogany?  I think the body shape and size, bracing and weight differences between the two will overshadow that.  Resale?   I guess that could be a draw,  Many buyers would focus on the fact "It's a Gibson  King of The Flat Tops" period.  Plus -  you aren't buying it to resell it.    So, I wouldn't think twice about it.   Project forward, if you can, under both scenarios?   A year from now - which  would you be more likely to regret not having?    I'm guessing it's the SJ100.   G'luck !

I like the Walnut SJ100s, they're a very nice, sweet and articulate instrument. My partner Amy has never forgiven me for buying a '41 Reissue Mahogany SJ100 instead of the Walnut SJ100 that I tried out the same day. She absolutely loved the Walnut, but I went for the '41 Reissue for sentimental reasons, as I'd owned one before that I had to sell and missed it. 

If you're not in love with your '73, move it on and grab the Walnut 100. Life's too short to play guitars you don't love.

I’ve got a 2016 J100 Walnut.  Excellent guitar. Big sound!  Great fingerpicking guitar.  .....These super jumbos are big guitars, so be sure they are comfortable for you.  If you have shorter arms, they may be hard to play for an extended time......I hope you find the guitar you need.

Hi all, I’m looking for a pristine 2016 SJ-100 to to I live in desert dry Utah, anyone have experience shipping acoustics from a humid area to really dry? My brother brought an old Yamaha spruce/laminated rosewood from Florida to Utah and the neck violently curled. No humidify was used.  Found a great luthier in SLC and all is well.  But I digress. Anyone wanna sell that 2016 walnut sj-100 ?  Many thanks!