Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Gibson

Garden goodies

Recommended Posts

hey!

esj2VOe.jpg

That's terrific. I can only grow brambles & ivy. I managed a few onions  last year and about a 1/4 of the garlic I planted. Tried tomatoes and they wouldn't ripen.

Haven't even tried this year. I couldn't grow anything if my life depended on it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice, I wish I could do that.  Anything I grow has to be in a pot.  I've done basil in the past.  Easy to grow, great for sauce, pizza, salads etc.  Any overstock can become pesto.  If I had some land I would probably start with yellow and green squashes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pinch said:

My house is where cactuses (cactii?) come to die.

Cacti usually get over watered..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a few herbs...only legal ones. 

It's blackberry time right now too.

I'd love some home-grown potatoes.  Nothing better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jdgm said:

I have a few herbs...only legal ones. 

It's blackberry time right now too.

I'd love some home-grown potatoes.  Nothing better.

Legal ones are no fun but tasty. They are legal in certain places.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No garden for us this year.  We decided we like the idea of gardening more than doing it, and bought a share at our local CSA (community garden where we get all our vegetables for the summer).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We grow figs.  They're just starting to come in.  One year I picked about 10,000.  My wife sold her first couple pounds of the year today at the farmer's market.  She usually sells about 10 to 15 pounds a week when they're really coming in.  We'll probably harvest 400 to 500 pounds this year.  If you can pick a fig you can pick a guitar.

117947174_10219979315406459_762991504875

Edited by badbluesplayer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

 If you can pick a fig you can pick a guitar.

 

 

Does it work the other way around as well?

BTW fig looks nice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love fresh figs.  I'm amazed you can grow them successfully.  Does it take a lot of work?

They are expensive over here in UK and very often over-ripe and dry inside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jdgm said:

I love fresh figs.  I'm amazed you can grow them successfully.  Does it take a lot of work?

They are expensive over here in UK and very often over-ripe and dry inside.

They are a ton of work.  Sixteen producing trees.  Fertilize 4 times a year, water every other day from now until frost, pick every day, searching every branch of every tree, every day.  I get pretty sick of it by the end of the season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2020 at 10:21 AM, badbluesplayer said:

We grow figs.  They're just starting to come in.  One year I picked about 10,000.  My wife sold her first couple pounds of the year today at the farmer's market.  She usually sells about 10 to 15 pounds a week when they're really coming in.  We'll probably harvest 400 to 500 pounds this year.  If you can pick a fig you can pick a guitar.

What does a pound of figs sell for?  When they're fresh like that can you eat them - or do you have to do something to them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 24, 2020 at 9:09 AM, badbluesplayer said:

They are a ton of work.  Sixteen producing trees.  Fertilize 4 times a year, water every other day from now until frost, pick every day, searching every branch of every tree, every day.  I get pretty sick of it by the end of the season.

About like my rasberry forest,fun in the beginning,after while not so fun.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2020 at 10:39 AM, fortyearspickn said:

I would have taken you for a prune farmer. 

... just because I'm shriveled up and past my prime?  No rubbing it in!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2020 at 3:21 PM, merciful-evans said:

 

Does it work the other way around as well?

BTW fig looks nice

Yes, it definitely works the other way around too.  I'll get you a bucket and you can try it out and maybe you'll have fun.  😁

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2020 at 12:22 PM, uncle fester said:

What does a pound of figs sell for?  When they're fresh like that can you eat them - or do you have to do something to them?

We've sold them for $8 per pound for a number of years.  They go for 10 at the grocery store.  I'm trying to get the wife to go to $10.00.

You can eat them fresh, just whole or turn them inside out or cut them in half and eat them off the skin.  You can put them in anything.  Good with cheese.  My wife makes lots of stuff.  She makes a fig "base" that's used for lots of things.  She mashes them up, cooks them for like 1/2 hour, and uses that for all kinds of stuff, like jam, chutney, cakes, danishes, biscotti.  Chefs use them with fancy dishes.  Some guy with a cooking school buys them, some restaurants buy them.  We sell some through a local fru-fru farmer's market store and my wife sells most of them at a local farmer's market, along with her baked goods.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've picked 180 pounds of figs so far this season.  The wife's been making jam.  I've been making fig ice cream for the Farmer's Market.

119151395_10220164240309466_612185048549119142369_10220204058664900_503592869029119165739_10220164241309491_610623282970119661736_10220221072770242_473863570745

 

Edited by badbluesplayer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been reading about the fig wasps. 

Never knew that.   Doesn't put me off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2020 at 11:22 AM, badbluesplayer said:

I picked five pounds of figs today -

118774038_10220100693720841_438065978239118774227_10220100695400883_837456444161

Thats what a fig looks like?  They sort of look like onions.  The only figs I ever had were in a Nabisco cookie.  Interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...