Gibson Brands Forums

K&K Trinity - Warning: Cargill content

BluesKing777

My incredible Cargill Custom 00 deep body now has a K&K Trinity Onboard pickup system!

I have been on a little mission to get a guitar of my choice to have as good a pickup as my Matons with their Maton AP5-Pro dual source pickup systems.

I had a K&K Mini in the Cargill Custom and just had the 'Trinity Upgrade Kit' installed....an internal mic, preamp, battery, twin volume controls is added.

https://kksound.com/products/onboardtrinity.php

So far, I love it!

The K&K is ok, pretty sound but just adding a few percent of the mic makes it much more real. No good for playing in a loud band with drums! Perfect for BK777 alone. It has this complicated gain and EQ section in the guitar but I just run it to my Fishman Platinum Pro EQ/Di.

Edit:  So...the million dollar question....is the Trinity system as good as the Maton AP5-Pro system?

Firstly, to get the Maton system you have to buy a Maton! The K&K Trinity can go in your guitar of choice.......

It does not sound as 'high definition' as the Maton system but still sounds great.....and it is all supposedly 'removable' - all the parts are stuck on with glues, tapes, velcro and no surgery of the guitar was required - it already had the endpin drilled for the K&K a couple of years ago. The Maton system needs a large hole cut in the top of the guitar where the whole bridge/pickup assembly is installed and a another hole in the upper bout for the control panel. The Maton system has it all under your fingertips to adjust, and also has sweepable mid control.

(You can also get a K&K Trinity Pro System with the K&K and the mic ONLY inside the guitar and you run a stereo cable to a separate preamp/blender unit - you don't have so much stuff in your guitar but you have to lug the preamp around. I wanted my guitar to be 'stand alone'.....).

JXZAYHQh.jpg

ngsKZWOh.jpg

ochXL4lh.jpg

dorTksNh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Yes, it is a sensational guitar -  pickup or not!

I forgot to mention the logistics of getting the pickup installed - because of the virus lockdown here, I had to ship the guitar to the luthier! And back! Don't think I slept the whole time it was gone.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

I have a lot of time for K&K gear. The PWM system in my Hummingbird 12 is absolutely superb, to use a cliché, it just sounds like the guitar but louder.

That Cargill is a looker isn't it? Absolutely stunning. Would love to know the science behind the treble-biased soundhole plavement, that kind of thing fascinates me.

1 hour ago, Jinder said:

I have a lot of time for K&K gear. The PWM system in my Hummingbird 12 is absolutely superb, to use a cliché, it just sounds like the guitar but louder.

That Cargill is a looker isn't it? Absolutely stunning. Would love to know the science behind the treble-biased soundhole plavement, that kind of thing fascinates me.

Do you mean the placement of the mic, Jinder?

Very scientific! Same with the preamp gain and EQ settings.......highly technical......once the guitar was delivered back and I had played it plugged a bit, sounded so good, I rang the luthier and asked how much time he had spent arriving at that point.

”None!” was his reply.he said he plugged into his PA to try it and it all sounded so good to him that he didn’t touch a thing.  He said he thought he could only make it worse!

Of course I must tell you that running it to an amp or PA at band level is just going to induce feedback with the mic setting I use - flat out! Like my Matons! So I run to some black boxes/DI for EQ and reverb/delay and use in ears!

Anyway, getting a guitar custom built for you is just a very, very special thing and the sound is coming along acoustically AND electrically just...beautifully!

Would I get another made? Don’t know if I could do it again though I recommend it for anyone that hasn’t! It is just a roller coaster of emotions like patience and expectations.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Here is short recording I just did of the Cargill Custom 00 with the Trinity pickup system....the guy next door was cutting bricks or something in half so plug the guitar in I did!

So I fingerpicked a short blues with a mixture of lead style blues and old style chords, using my right thumb and index finger mainly.....a couple of slides peaked the meters!

BluesKing777.