Gibson Brands Forums

Greetings from MA

HiResGeek

Hi all, new to this forum, though not new to Gibson guitars. Have owned various Gibsons over the years, including a '73 SG, and a couple of different LP's, including one of my current guitars which is a 1980 wine LP custom that I've owned for the past 20 years. I actually was hoping to get some advice on the Custom - namely, if I were to sell it given its current state (to fund the purchase of another LP Custom), what could/should I ask? I suppose the best way to get eyes on this will be to start a separate thread in the Custom discussions board to go through it in more detail. Cheers and happy to find a site to talk about Gibsons with knowledgeable folk.

9 hours ago, HiResGeek said:

Hi all, new to this forum, though not new to Gibson guitars. Have owned various Gibsons over the years, including a '73 SG, and a couple of different LP's, including one of my current guitars which is a 1980 wine LP custom that I've owned for the past 20 years. I actually was hoping to get some advice on the Custom - namely, if I were to sell it given its current state (to fund the purchase of another LP Custom), what could/should I ask? I suppose the best way to get eyes on this will be to start a separate thread in the Custom discussions board to go through it in more detail. Cheers and happy to find a site to talk about Gibsons with knowledgeable folk.

Greetings back to ya..  where in Mass ya hail from?  I'm in the quaint little city of Leominster.

and yes, post in one of the other sub forums,  (Gibson USA or the Custom one)  for pricing, what I usually do is the standard dance with Ebay and completed / sold listings with something close to what you're trying to move.   Note... The 80s were still the infamous "Norlin Era" which didn't see an end till around 83.  As you may know, those years are not famous for being some of Gibson's better years build wise,  not to say that some very find guitars were wrought from that time frame.   if yours is still going strong, than she's a solid old beast for sure.

My oldest LP is a 95 Standard, and it's a dam fine guitar.

Depending on things like fret wear, and other things of the cosmetic nature, which all comes into play with an auction.  Condition of the gold plating on hardware, wear and tear form 40 years of playing, etc..

Respectfully speaking, don't know how much "vintage" value you can expect, but perhaps there is something there.   If it were me, I'd go into the selling process with an opened mind and price it reasonable with the intent to move it if a newer LP was in the waiting.

Good luck!  and welcome to the forum

/Ray

^^
What he said.  Along with checking eBay for past sales, you may want to also check Reverb.com for past sales.  The two should give you a good idea how much it is worth.

Welcome aboard and enjoy your stay.