Gibson Brands Forums

Early 2000’s j50....need expert opinions

PierreB

Hey guys, found a j50 early 60’s reissue made in 2000 that seem to be in great condition, have not tried it yet. Debating selling my 2018 j15 walnut burst that i like to buy that piece. What can you guys tell me about the value of this guitar going forward. Im pretty sure they are the same scale lenght and nut widht??? Anyone know if they are the same neck profile too? Heard the reissue sometimes have chunkier necks. Anything else I should watch for with these early 2000’s j50’s

30 minutes ago, 62burst said:

“60’s Reissue”  ? Does it have the adjustable saddle ? The tone is different with those- something to keep in mind.

No that one does not have a adjustable saddle. Wish I could attach a picture. It wont let me because the file is too large

1 hour ago, PierreB said:

Does yours have the batwing pick guard? Normal saddle or adjustable? 

Yes,,batwing pick guard fixed saddle!

i would post a pic , but i’ve Given up on that, since photo bucket stole my pictures, & decided to hold them hostage.

mine pretty much looks like the one in the above pics. It’s one of my favorite guitars. Can’t see myself ever selling it.

Edited by Paul14

10 minutes ago, Paul14 said:

Yes,,batwing pick guard fixed saddle!

i would post a pick, but i’ve Given up on that, since photo bucket stole my pictures, & decided to hold them hostage.

mine pretty much looks like the one in the above pics. It’s one of my favorite guitars. Can’t see myself ever selling it.

Nice! Single rosette ring too? Looking forward to try it. Heard they open up well with time also. Any idea what they would be worth at 20 years old?

15 minutes ago, PierreB said:

Nice! Single rosette ring too? Looking forward to try it. Heard they open up well with time also. Any idea what they would be worth at 20 years old?

I like buying 20 year old guitars. The binding has turned a nice yellow color, & in my opinion, sounds better than a new guitar. I don’t know the value? I would guess $1500ish? Check out reverb. I’ve also given up on eBay sine Japan seems to have taken over the Gibson market!

p.s—-single rosette.

Edited by Paul14
  • Like 1

I also have a 2000 SJ-200. I’ve read several post of people describing their newer ones as “quiet”, & I can tell you this. Mine definitely does not fall into that category. Mine is light as a feather, & the complete opposite of quiet.

Edited by Paul14

4 minutes ago, Paul14 said:

I also have a 2000 SJ-200. I’ve read several post of people describing their newer ones as “quiet”, & I can tell you this. Mine definitely does not fall into that category. Mine is light as a feather, & the complete opposite of quiet.

Looks like you have quite the collection there?!! 
01 j50

00 sj200

05 j45

Im jealous😂

14 minutes ago, PierreB said:

Looks like you have quite the collection there?!! 
01 j50

00 sj200

05 j45

Im jealous😂

Well I’m old. Spent my working yrs preparing for my non-working yrs. Put together what I thought I wanted. I have 12 guitars. 5 of them are Gibson’s. Only way I could buy any guitar now, would be to sell one. I’m guitar rich, but money poor.🤫

• Like 1

Yeah, I am also old but could not shed myself of my Yippie brain which refused to allow me to worry about a non-working life which at the time was way down the road.   In retrospect not the best planning I could have done.

If I had to make a guess about a 2000 "60s" J50 though I would think it would pretty much be a   regular production Bozeman J45/50 with a big pointy pickguard attached but with a standard bridge, bracing and nut width rather than what was there in the 1960s. 

5 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Yeah, I am also old but could not shed myself of my Yippie brain which refused to allow me to worry about a non-working life which at the time was way down the road.   In retrospect not the best planning I could have done.

If I had to make a guess about a 2000 "60s" J50 though I would think it would pretty much be a   regular production Bozeman J45/50 with a big pointy pickguard attached but with a standard bridge, bracing and nut width rather than what was there in the 1960s. 

Me too. I made a mad dash, in the last couple yrs, when I could see reality closing in!

32 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

So just call it a 2000 j50 with a vintage pick guard & tuners am I right?🤷🏼‍♂️

I purchased a 2001 J-50 new in ‘01.  Fixed bridge, batwing pickguard.  Liked it very much except that the neck was chunkier than what I prefer, so I eventually returned it.  Later came upon a 2002 J-45 Rosewood with the perfect neck profile & still have it.

Moral of the story:  Yes, there can be very significant differences in neck profiles on early 2000s Gibsons.

I also have a few other similar first hand experiences from this era, but the above relates directly to the guitar you’re considering.  You really won’t know for sure about the neck until it’s in your hands.

Ooops, there is  a thread already - sorry Pierre (sent me a message about my 2002 J50)...

As I have related here before, I bought my 2005 Dove at a pawn shop and not long after saw the 2002 J50 at the same shop. The Dove was ready to play and I have not touched a thing since buying it - it does have writing on the top and probably why I got it so cheap! The Dove  has a way chunkier neck than my previous Gibson acoustics 2010 J45, 2007 Gibson L-00) and my vernier says the nut is almost 1 3/4"....so not the usual modern Gibson spec....

The 2002 J50 with really chunky neck, was pretty well unplayable as it was but a couple of the higher notes just cried out when I played it in the shop, and a couple of people turned around to see what it was! So I bought it before they could and tried to play for a few months until I could get it to my luthier. Came back with a setup, new bone nut, new bone saddle and an Anthem pickup I asked for... Yep, I spent a lot! it will never be perfect, I was told - too much earlier bad treatment, but I like it, for what it is....

Here are some photos - (I post to and from free to join Imgur)

Before repair:

Lf2coWuh.jpg

After:

h95QJWXh.jpg

QcR1MHmh.jpg

BluesKing777.

29 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

Ooops, there is  a thread already - sorry Pierre (sent me a message about my 2002 J50)...

As I have related here before, I bought my 2005 Dove at a pawn shop and not long after saw the 2002 J50 at the same shop. The Dove was ready to play and I have not touched a thing since buying it - it does have writing on the top and probably why I got it so cheap! The Dove  has a way chunkier neck than my previous Gibson acoustics 2010 J45, 2007 Gibson L-00) and my vernier says the nut is almost 1 3/4"....so not the usual modern Gibson spec....

The 2002 J50 with really chunky neck, was pretty well unplayable as it was but a couple of the higher notes just cried out when I played it in the shop, and a couple of people turned around to see what it was! So I bought it before they could and tried to play for a few months until I could get it to my luthier. Came back with a setup, new bone nut, new bone saddle and an Anthem pickup I asked for... Yep, I spent a lot! it will never be perfect, I was told - too much earlier bad treatment, but I like it, for what it is....

Here are some photos - (I post to and from free to join Imgur)

Before repair:

Lf2coWuh.jpg

After:

h95QJWXh.jpg

QcR1MHmh.jpg

BluesKing777.

She is gorgeous! Thanks for the reply.

3 hours ago, bobouz said:

I purchased a 2001 J-50 new in ‘01.  Fixed bridge, batwing pickguard.  Liked it very much except that the neck was chunkier than what I prefer, so I eventually returned it.  Later came upon a 2002 J-45 Rosewood with the perfect neck profile & still have it.

Moral of the story:  Yes, there can be very significant differences in neck profiles on early 2000s Gibsons.

I also have a few other similar first hand experiences from this era, but the above relates directly to the guitar you’re considering.  You really won’t know for sure about the neck until it’s in your hands.

Yeah I see. Will be going to try it out soon. Thanks for the insight