Gibson Brands Forums

1960 LG-3: Is this the original case & should I keep it?

WesternPicker

I have three Gibsons from this era that came with the correct time period alligator case.  2 of them I no longer use or keep in their aligator cases, because, though, they look cool, they are now potentially fragile and frankly here are much better usable and protective cases around.  So I keep their alligator cases, put put away, in case I ever sell the instruments, so I can sell them with their correct time period cases (which are quite cool, but no longer really practical compared to modern cases). The third guitar that I have with one never leaves the house or it’s case (except for me to periodically check it.)  If I ever took it out of the house to a jam or gig, I would put it in a much better protective and usable case.  But, I keep it because it’s cool and time period correct.  If I were to buy another guitar from that period, I know I’d ask if there is an original case with it.  But, it wouldn’t be a showstopper or change the purchase price for me.  It’s just a coolness factor if it came with it.  Not that I’d use it.  Fact is it would cost me more if it didn’t come with a modern case as I’d then have to buy one, probably, if I needed a decent case for gigging or storage.  

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

1 hour ago, Paul14 said:

Hard to say if it’s the original, but it could be. It is the correct period case.

Thanks for the reply. It doesn’t have a Gibson logo. I am wondering if they ever used such cases without logos?

Edited by WesternPicker
Grammar correction

1 minute ago, WesternPicker said:

Thanks for the reply. It doesn’t have a Gibson logo. I am wondering if they ever used such cases without logos.

Looks exactly like the one, that came with my 65 LG1. It’s a Gibson case. Mine came with all the paperwork. The guitar was bought on time. All payments where documented, as well as the receipt for the case. Don’t remember the prices, ( I sold everything) I do remember the monthly payment for the guitar was $10.00. 

8 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

I had a '57 ES-125 with the original case that looked a lot like your case. I bought a hard shell case for and kept the original. When I sold the guitar to a local shop, I asked them which case they wanted. They took the original.

Thanks. Yeah, that makes sense.

I would expect a 1960 durabilt case to have a faux alligator shell with the Gibson tag on the storage compartment.  It does appear Gibson changed their cases in 1961 going from, as example the brown Lifton hardshell to the black/yellow lining Victoria Luggage  case.  My 1961 B45-12 came with its original Gibson durabilt case.  It is not alligator but instead is brown with a dark mottled look somewhat similar to the old Lifton hardshell.  

47 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I would expect a 1960 durabilt case to have a faux alligator shell with the Gibson tag on the storage compartment.  It does appear Gibson changed their cases in 1961 going from, as example the brown Lifton hardshell to the black/yellow lining Victoria Luggage  case.  My 1961 B45-12 came with its original Gibson durabilt case.  It is not alligator but instead is brown with a dark mottled look somewhat similar to the old Lifton hardshell.  

I recall seeing a mixture of some Kalamazoo Gibson/Epiphones having either the faux alligator or just a chipboard case circa from that era,   Regarding the Gibson tag in the faux alligator case, one of mine has it, the two others do not, but one is from a 1965 Epiphone, so it would not have had the Gibson tag, while the other is from a Gibson from that era bought used, so I don't know if someone removed it (or if it fell off)  or if it just didn't have it.   As a youngun, I bought a new Kalamazoo Epiphone that had pretty well constructed grey chipboard case to my recollection.

QM aka "Jazzman" Jeff