Gibson Brands Forums

Advice on selling my SJ200

aerohead

4 minutes ago, aerohead said:

Just wondering how to sell my Gibson SJ200. I know there are new scams everyday and was hoping to get some advice and to avoid the local junkies from popping over and taking inventory while kicking tires they have no intention of buying. 

Sell on Reverb. List it honestly and disclose the issues if there are any. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Reverb has changed its policies since being purchased by Etsy.  There appear to be more than a few who are not happy with them.  It might be better to sell on a forum such as UMGF.

My last sale was before they bought them. That blows.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, aerohead said:

Just wondering how to sell my Gibson SJ200. I know there are new scams everyday and was hoping to get some advice and to avoid the local junkies from popping over and taking inventory while kicking tires they have no intention of buying. 

If you want to sell without the idly curious, scammers, lookers, and lowballers, then trade or sell the guitar at a music store, or a pawn shop. You won't get as much, but you won't have to put up with all the crap.

RBSinTo

If you go the music store route  be prepared to take a bath unless they really want the guitar and feel they can unload it quickly.  You will do better in a trade situation as they have more wiggle room.  You might put the guitar on consignment where you can establish a price which as low as you are willing to go.  

13 hours ago, zombywoof said:

If you go the music store route  be prepared to take a bath unless they really want the guitar and feel they can unload it quickly.  You will do better in a trade situation as they have more wiggle room.  You might put the guitar on consignment where you can establish a price which as low as you are willing to go.  

The music store does save a lot of the agony... I have done this a number of times to avoid the 'free for all' that can occur with general listings. Last time, I consigned 2 guitars and 1 sold almost immediately while the other wouldn't sell for months and months. I got sick of waiting and spoke to the shop owner and traded it for a cheaper guitar with a Hiscox! The accountant would die but I got a guitar that I play all the time for no outlay and just a little drama.

If you haven't consigned a guitar before, be aware that the prices you see on their listing includes their percentage, taxes etc! (so you think: "Beauty, I'm gonna get $5K!!!" - but you only get $3.8K.....😐)...but your phone hasn't rung at 3AM every night with a drummer who wants to learn guitar...etc...

BluesKing777.

Hang on a sec...  first question is where are you located?

Do not take to a music store,, My God they will kill you on resale value.  At least all the ones that I've ever dealt with.  They are in the business of SELLING guitars, not buying them.  They'll offer Blue Book value which is an insult when you have something like that to sell.

the only way to do this and not get 'gaked is ebay or what ever the heck reverb is these days, with paypal for the transfer of funds.

I'm going to 3rd NOT Selling it..

Have to agree about trading or selling to a music store.   A lot of them will look up what a few are selling for, and then offer you 60% of that price.  Depending on what year and condition the J200 is it should be worth in the neighborhood of $3500, so music store will probably only offer $2100.  That is a pretty big hit to take vs. selling it yourself.  Consignment would be a better situation if that is available to you.