Gibson Brands Forums

1995 J-100 Rosewood

pawlowski6132

For the life of me, I can't find any information on this guitar that I bought second hand. I wanted to understand value and have looked at previous sales on Reverb and Ebay and just can't find this. Lots of J-100 Xtra and even 12 strings but, not mine.

Does anyone else own one of these??

Thanx in advance

Joe

Detroit

I dont recall a 95 extra in rosewood.  Most I seen were natural top with really dark stain on the back and sides.  They did have only gibsons good enough on the headstock.    I dont remember if there were any specials done like that either. 

The J-100 Xtra was introduced in 1991, and featured a mahogany body through 1997.  In 1999, it was reintroduced in maple, and since then there have been a number of other variations.  I owned a '96, and currently own one made in 2000 (see avatar).

Now the tricky part:  For 1995, there are two other J-100 Xtra variants listed in Gruhn's guitar guide.  One is a "Smartwood" model utilizing a wood called Chakte Kok, which is from Mexico.  The other is listed as a J-100 Xtra Montana Special, but no specs were available.

What exactly is given as the guitar's model name on the label?

3 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Yes Virginia, there is a J100Xtra Rosewood . . .

https://www.frettedamericana.com/product/1995-gibson-j-100-xtra

27 minutes ago, pawlowski6132 said:

Here's a photo. What do you guys think?

This is MY guitar.

Very good. Well, apparently you can't swing a Martin without hitting a J-100 Xtra Rosewood.

Glad the one with the Xtra label is not yours- it looks to have the soundhole to fretboard extension crack going on.

Xtra? extra what? Like that '94 shown, my '93 Xtra did not have electronics. Just the cavernous sound of a mahogany superjumbo.

My wife owned a '94 J100Xtra.   She had tried to buy it when the store got it in but was too late.   Apparently the guy who had bought the guitar decided to trade it in on a Martin a few weeks later.   As my wife tells it, she was just sitting down in a classroom when she got word it had been returned and literally bolted out of the room to go buy it.  She gigged with it as part of a duo for years and was the guitar she owned when we met and married.  It was played at our wedding.  The Gibson along with my '58 Tele actually posed together to be included in our wedding photos.  

1958-Teleand1994-Gibson-J100-XTRA-1.jpg

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

My wife owned a '94 J100Xtra.   She had tried to buy it when the store got it in but was too late.   Apparently the guy who had bought the guitar decided to trade it in on a Martin a few weeks later.   As my wife tells it, she was just sitting down in a classroom when she got word it had been returned and literally bolted out of the room to go buy it.  She gigged with it as part of a duo for years and was the guitar she owned when we met and married.  It was played at our wedding.  The Gibson along with my '58 Tele actually posed together to be included in our wedding photos.  

1958-Teleand1994-Gibson-J100-XTRA-1.jpg

A meeting of the muses? Lucky man, there.

Cool photo. 'Bet that was a music-laden wedding reception. Though you need to have a talk with your hay bale guy.

1 hour ago, Peter Z said:

Maybe this helps. It‘s a rosewood J-200. In this video I prefer the J-100.

These days there are no structural difference between a standard production J100 and J200.   Same exact size, bracing, and such.   So any difference you hear would be luck of the draw rather than the result of design or build.   

41 minutes ago, 62burst said:

A meeting of the muses? Lucky man, there.

Cool photo. 'Bet that was a music-laden wedding reception. Though you need to have a talk with your hay bale guy.

The music was fantastic - guitar, flute and singer.  As the Tele did not make the wedding, the hay bale guy who was  a friend took the guitars back to his studio to take the pic.  

15 hours ago, pawlowski6132 said:

Sorry, my post was misleading. I believe i DO NOT have a J-100 Xtra. Just the normal J-100 model.

Until 92 the J100 had Maple back and sides, with a belly up bridge and teardrop pickguard. Steve Earle famously played one on Guitar Town.

In 93 they switched to Mahogany B&S, added the moustache bridge and J200 style pickguard and re-branded the model  as the J-100 Xtra (some labelled XT). In 95/6 some J100 Xtra's did indeed have Rosewood B&S, but most remained Mahogany until 99, when maple came back in again, followed by Bubinga in 2005/6.

• Thanks 1

Great info, Frenchie. Now all we need is for someone (Slim?) to get Hogeye to check in- he might have the actual number of rosewood J-100's that were made.

5 hours ago, bobouz said:

Fwiw, the label on my my 2000 maple J-100 xtra reads:  J-100 XT.

I believe that model came with a turbo.

Edited by 62burst

The value of them can be a little all over the place, since they made the J-100 over the years with a wide variety of woods. 

I paid about $1k for my J-100 which has bubinga. 

The maple ones usually go for more than that, I guess folks that can't shell out for the J-200 will pay around $1500 for the maple. 

The mahogany ones seem to live in between those, and the rosewood I have no idea. I'd guess it would sell for around $1400-1600.