Gibson Brands Forums

J200 Montana Gold (Rosewood)

MissouriPicker

Bought a J200 Montana Gold Rosewood today from Wildwood Guitars.  Called them and asked for their best price on three new guitars they have.  Very knowledgable people.   Detailed answers to my questions and they’ll play the guitars you’re interested-in right into the phone to give you an idea of their sound.  I also called GC about a particular J200.  I’ve always had pretty good experiences at their stores when I’ve bought guitars.  Today, over the phone was a different experience.  The guy on the phone was very nice, but he was there to take orders, not answer questions or give real opinions on an instrument.  He could have been taking orders for kitchen utensils at Amazon.   Wildwoods guy was really tuned-in to guitars.  We talked for about 30 minutes and a good ten minutes was about how I played and stings I wanted and how they would do a setup.  I’m not real confident on a big store’s setup, but maybe I’ll be surprised.  If not I’ve got a good local guy......Should get the guitar early next week.

• Like 1

Add me to the long list of Wild Wood Guitars satisfied customers. The setup on mine was the most playable I had ever gotten from a new guitar. I had the one small issue and they took care of it per my request.

MissouriPicker, Congrats on your forthcoming new SJ-200. I had looked at the Montana Gold option, too, but had been enamored with the thought of matching 'burts. Such a nice looking guitar. I've looking forward to hearing all about it, and hopefully getting to hear a bit. 🙂    Rosewood SJ-200s, come to find out, are just as fun as can be.

The one thing that has not changed with Gibson is they release so many variations on a theme it takes a spread sheet to sort them out.  I do enjoy window shopping but have only done it on the internet once.  And yeah, it did work out although I was a nervous wreck second guessing myself waiting for it to arrive.   But certainly for most of us it is tough enough to find a model you are looking for to try out never mind more than one to compare.   Best of luck to you and hoping your new J200 turns out to be a perfect fit.

Ironically I bought a guitar from Wildwood just yesterday.  This is my third from them. Not a Gibson this time (no worry I still have my 5 Gibs and they ain’t going anywhere). Worked with Brian this time.  I sent them emails first and they promptly responded.  Left a voice mail and they called back in a couple of hours.  Asked me how I wanted the guitar setup and string gauge etc.  I told Brian that even though they have an extensive inventory it felt more like dealing with a small mom and pop outfit.  I have local GC and Sam Ash where I live and have bought electrics there with no problems but WW is a cool store to work with.

Wildwood called me and asked me when I wanted it to ship, for my convenience.   The reason they were asking is because of the heat.  It’s as hot up there as it is here.  They said if it shipped Friday it potentially might sit in a hot trailer for up to two days over the weekend.  I told them to ship it Monday and I’ll still likely get it before the next weekend.  I’m anxious to get it, but it’s not as if I didn’t have other guitars to play.......Pictures when it arrives and video/audio shortly after that.  I really like the way Wildwood does,things.

MissouriPicker I am glad you posted this.  I was just about to message them to ship mine on Friday due to my schedule but it’s in the 90’s over here in North Carolina.  I just sent them an email and requested they ship on Monday.  If I don’t hear back I will call them tomorrow. Thanks for posting.

I was in a similar situation a couple months back when I ordered mine. 2-3 days before it could be shipped, so I just said to wait until Monday so that it's not sitting in some truck or un air conditioned warehouse somewhere.

@J185Cat - Whatchyu got coming?

@brucebubs - Did you have to order straight from Gibson, then?

1 hour ago, PatriotsBiker said:

I was in a similar situation a couple months back when I ordered mine. 2-3 days before it could be shipped, so I just said to wait until Monday so that it's not sitting in some truck or un air conditioned warehouse somewhere.

@J185Cat - Whatchyu got coming?

@brucebubs - Did you have to order straight from Gibson, then?

Firstly I contacted the Australian distributor of Gibson guitars and asked for a price and availability for a new 2020 Historic 1957 SJ-200 - they didn't know anything about them but did get back to me with a price and gave me the OK to order it through any Gibson dealer here - there was no other way I could buy one with a valid warranty.

Edited by Brucebubs

For those looking to have guitars in transit during weather extremes, keep in mind that air shipment is always an option. The J-185 that was shipped from Japan was here in . . . 15 hours. Just for kicks, maybe see what the upcharge would be for FedEx Express shipping.

Congrats, MoPick- 'thought you'd mentioned something recently about gassing for a '200. Can't wait to see &/or hear yours.

Edited by 62burst

10 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Wildwood called me and asked me when I wanted it to ship, for my convenience.   The reason they were asking is because of the heat.  It’s as hot up there as it is here.  They said if it shipped Friday it potentially might sit in a hot trailer for up to two days over the weekend.  I told them to ship it Monday and I’ll still likely get it before the next weekend.  I’m anxious to get it, but it’s not as if I didn’t have other guitars to play.......Pictures when it arrives and video/audio shortly after that.  I really like the way Wildwood does,things.

see if they will go 50/50 on over night

My last purchase was from Sweetwater (814CE DXL)  Stuart shipped it overnight, didn't charge me for it either.

Good morning.  Hope all living along the Gulf coast are okay.  So PatriotsBiker I bought what they call a Martin Custom Wildwood Spec D28.  It is essentially a D28 with Adi top and “golden era” scalloped 5/16 Adi bracing.  I’m 68 now and just decided I wanted to add one Martin to my small collection so I went with the iconic D28.  I had been considering a J100 but just decided to add a different voice.  Can’t wait to compare it to my AJ.

2 hours ago, J185cat said:

Good morning.  Hope all living along the Gulf coast are okay.  So PatriotsBiker I bought what they call a Martin Custom Wildwood Spec D28.  It is essentially a D28 with Adi top and “golden era” scalloped 5/16 Adi bracing. . .  Can’t wait to compare it to my AJ.

That should be a hard-listening situation. Maybe wear earplugs for the day before the comparo. Be sure to report back.

1 hour ago, PatriotsBiker said:

J185cat, that looks like a great guitar. Just last night, I was admiring the D-18 version of that one they have listed. Just window shopping, of course. 

"Of course"

😀.

11 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

Firstly I contacted the Australian distributor of Gibson guitars and asked for a price and availability for a new 2020 Historic 1957 SJ-200 - they didn't know anything about them but did get back to me with a price and gave me the OK to order it through any Gibson dealer here - there was no other way I could buy one with a valid warranty.

Serious dedication. Makes my *****ing about locals not stocking much, even before the pandemic, seem rather self-entitled.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

Serious dedication. Makes my *****ing about locals not stocking much, even before the pandemic, seem rather self-entitled.

I think he’s a true Gibson fan.....lol.....And yeah, we are so spoiled that we ***** and moan about little things.

Regarding the shipping before a weekend I have never experienced a package sitting somewhere for two days.  I have bought a few guitars from Sweetwater, and even one from Guitar Center's warehouse a few years back.  Those places seem to work 24/7 all year long.  With the tracking I could see them moving across the country to different terminals and it seems they never sat more than a couple hours in a distribution center.  The last one was even during the pandemic and it didn't sit anywhere.  I suppose it could happen, but after pulling the trigger on a new guitar I probably couldn't wait the extra couple days.  I admire your patience and hope it's worth the wait.