Gibson Brands Forums

In praise of simple design (non-guitar related)

Lord Summerisle

I wish to thank whichever genius came with the idea of simply poking bits of trimmer-line through holes, rather than having to wind up a whole spool of the stuff and then spend more time clearing jams than actually laying waste to the weeds. Last night I was about ready to throw the trimmer away and douse the entire yard in weedkiller. $20 at Home Depot this morning and yardwork just became a lot more pleasant.

image.png.66506af44d22d910bc164f5c90b20af0.png

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rino-Tuff-Pivotrim-Universal-Trimmer-Head-17093/206470721

Apologies. And to our friends in the UK, this is, surreally, about strimmers, otherwise known as trimmers in the US, or, amusingly, weed-whackers. 

Excuse me. Coffee break over. More weeds to whack. Maybe if I get the garden finished she'll let me play my guitar.

Edited by Lord Summerisle
  • Like 1

I re-loaded my regular spool, not sure what happened or what I did wrong, but it didn't end well. Chewed it up pretty bad and I lost the retainer nut (bumper knob). Tossed it in the trash and bought one like you pictured. I have the three plastic blades on mine and it works well. I switched over to the line (as you have pictured) and I can't seem to get it to rev up enough to use those strings as effectively as they should be used. I've been fiddling with the carburetor but haven't quite got it. 

But yeah, simple and effective.

Living in the land of weed trimmers on an island, a lot people do their whole yard with them, dominated by Japanese power tools the pro's use "Shindaiwa Trimers". With all year around heavy growth we need something reliable to keep the weeds down.

If you haven't heard of them its probably your tool store may be dominated by Toro, Craftsman, Honda, Briggs and so on..

SHI_T235.jpg

Wow, that's a serious piece of kit. I mean, the weeds in Virginia seem never-ending, but that thing you posted looks like its built for rapid deforestation.

I'm using a humble 10amp Greenworks corded model - much less impressive, and unlike @ksdaddy I don't even get a carburetor to mess around with. But it functions better than it did before!

6 minutes ago, Lord Summerisle said:

Wow, that's a serious piece of kit. I mean, the weeds in Virginia seem never-ending, but that thing you posted looks like its built for rapid deforestation.

I'm using a humble 10amp Greenworks corded model - much less impressive, and unlike @ksdaddy I don't even get a carburetor to mess around with. But it functions better than it did before!

Yeah.. I would like to get one of those, currently I'm using a heavy duty Toro I got a few years ago when Ace was the clearing out their corded models, I'm looking forward to replacing it with a Shindaiwa..

Speaking of the 1970s, from the original patent application filed by George Ballas after his experiments with coffee cans with string tied to edgers and lawnmowers.

Surprised me, actually, it seems he always imagined it as an electric tool, not a gasoline one.

I guess at this point it was a PAF weed-whacker.

wwk1.jpg

wwk2.jpg

Edited by Lord Summerisle

5 hours ago, Lord Summerisle said:

Speaking of the 1970s, from the original patent application filed by George Ballas after his experiments with coffee cans with string tied to edgers and lawnmowers.

Surprised me, actually, it seems he always imagined it as an electric tool, not a gasoline one.

I guess at this point it was a PAF weed-whacker.

wwk1.jpg

wwk2.jpg

Electric corded trimmers (whackers) work really good depending on the size of the area your working on. I use 200' of cord to reach most of the areas around my house, its a lot of cord to drag around. The new battery powered Whackers tend to run for almost 45 minutes, less time under heavy load. Gas Whackers tend to be lighter, better balanced and have more torque.