Gibson Brands Forums
Troy Kebab

ES 335 model number HB096M... any info?

So, I have an ES 335 1961 reissue VOS in cherry... and on the custom certificate it states the model number as HB096M. The serial number (on the certificate) is A056** and this aligns with the orange label inside the guitar (there is no serial number on the headstock).

I have searched the interweb for information on this particular model number, and there doesn't appear to be much (if any) available. Just curious to know how many were made, and in which years... if it's particularly rare etc...  So, I thought I'd put it out there on the Gibson forum ... any info would be much appreciated!

335.jpg

The more you can tell us the better.  Where do you get the model number?  How do you know it is a '61 reissue?  Are you sure it is not a '59 reissue?  Always start by contacting Gibson by phone or email as they can verify what it is and give you info on it.

55 minutes ago, Wmachine said:

The more you can tell us the better.  Where do you get the model number?  How do you know it is a '61 reissue?  Are you sure it is not a '59 reissue?  Always start by contacting Gibson by phone or email as they can verify what it is and give you info on it.

Thanks for your interest Wmachine. The model number is on the Custom  'certificate of authenticity', and on the warranty checklist dated 10:1:12. It was sold to me as a '61 reissue from a reputable dealer, and due to the appointments – knobs, truss rod cover, pickguard bevel, dot neck etc, I don't have any particular reason to doubt it. I believe a '59 reissue would have the longer pickguard. Have contacted Gibson but have yet to receive a reply...

335 cert.2.jpg

Edited by Troy Kebab

20 hours ago, Wmachine said:

Yes, there are quite a few '61 335 reissues out there at the moment... it's the model numbering that I'm not sure about / would like clarification on.  I received a reply from a Gibson 'Consumer Relations Representative' who informed me (rather cryptically) that "Concerning production totals: we do not have production totals available, as these are seen as Gibson property."... what on earth does that mean?

Edited by Troy Kebab

7 hours ago, Troy Kebab said:

"Concerning production totals: we do not have production totals available, as these are seen as Gibson property."... what on earth does that mean?

Welcome Troy - Well, for whatever reason, Gibson apparently does not want to release production totals to the public.

As for your specific guitar - Based on the Memphis instruments I own from that time period, the little bit that I can tell you is that the HB model number was seen on other instruments at the time - but those numbers most likely only made sense to Gibson!

Regarding the year of your guitar, Memphis build quality was very high in 2012, and VOS models typically were seriously executed reissues.  It’s probably not going to be that rare of an instrument, but it definitely has value in the market & would be considered a keeper by many.

Congrats & Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

They never give out those figures now and that's that.   I don't think they have done since the HJ takeover in the mid-80s.

However you can find old Gibson shipped-from-factory totals in the guitar history books.

Edited by jdgm
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2020 at 9:31 AM, Troy Kebab said:

Yes, there are quite a few '61 335 reissues out there at the moment... it's the model numbering that I'm not sure about / would like clarification on.  I received a reply from a Gibson 'Consumer Relations Representative' who informed me (rather cryptically) that "Concerning production totals: we do not have production totals available, as these are seen as Gibson property."... what on earth does that mean?

It means they are not going to tell you, period.  They've also said "they don't know" as another way to deflect the question.  But at least "not available" is a lot more honest answer.  Sometimes some detective work can yield numbers when they are more limited.  First, there are certain models that when released, Gibson said right off the bat there were "XX" number made.  And those are generally more well known and documented as such.  But there are other ones that when released, dealers were sent info on the models that said, for example, "60 made for world wide distribution".     I have personally searched old websites and found some of these cases.  I have a 2015 and 2016 reissues that I traced to claimed production for 50 and 60 respectively.  In both cases, when I contacted Gibson to confirm those numbers, they would neither confirm nor deny the numbers.  For the record, I saved screen shots of the old web pages to keep as documentation.

• Thanks 1

According to this Les Paul forum member, on the model number question, the HB stands for 'Hand Built', and the 'M' for Memphis... seems logical... but I dunno...

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?200994-My-es-335-HB081m-Serial-A1000002-rare