Gibson Brands Forums
Mr. Gibson

What's bothering ya today?

36 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

That's an unpleasant surprise.

What's bothering me today is I had to work after 3 days of playing retirement and then I watched a video on the 2020 Les Paul Standard models.  I turned it off after I heard about it being available in "three iconic finishes".

All Summer I've been playing that GOTW Explorer which is a natural finish.  Could no finish at all be considered iconic?  Is this just a weird looking hunk of wood that they couldn't give away back in the 50s due, I would assume, to it's non-iconic lack of finish?

Red, White and Blue?

My acoustics only have a shinny top coat.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Hello, I came back tonight, Nothing personal when I left guys. I was having problems with my eyesight. I got very blurry and couldn't make out words or letters. I couldn't tell what I typed and was misspelling so many words because of it.  My wife told me I spent too many hours looking at the screen and that was causing it as it happened to her.  So that's why I left for awhile. I'll check in time to time but I do need to reduce time on the computer. I still get like that as it comes and goes. so I thought I'd at least explain to everyone what was happening.  Rob, & I email each other, as a few here know pretty much every day, And I get that way with him too. Haha, He writes huge letters for me and that helps a lot. I can imagine at times, I have a ton of misspelled words but neither of us care as we can make them out. Anyway, This is just a heads up as to why I left. Every one on here has been great and kind to me over the years and I have never had any complaints with anyone.  I learned a ton here and want to thank everyone for that. Guess this thread says any complaints? I guess my vision problems Lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

When you have to buy a braille laptop you know it's time to hang it up.

Good to see you back, even if it's just for a bit.

• Like 1

retired, glad you are back, always enjoyed reading and responding to your threads.

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Retired - Glad to have you back... 🤙

Thank you, Now if the Riviera ever comes in? Nope, Still don't have it. It's being custom made from China and supposedly it's on the ship to here? Supposed to get it October.

7 minutes ago, Retired said:

Thank you, Now if the Riviera ever comes in? Nope, Still don't have it. It's being custom made from China and supposedly it's on the ship to here? Supposed to get it October.

You have got to be kidding? Are you sure its not on a slow boat to China?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SteveFord said:

When you have to buy a braille laptop you know it's time to hang it up.

Good to see you back, even if it's just for a bit.

Now that's funny! Haha. Maybe thats what I need? Yeah, I swear its looking at the bright screen. It's like staring at the sun. My wife used to teach the gifted kids Special ed in a office next to a gal who taught braille.  Maybe I should have learned from her huh? 

4 hours ago, kidblast said:

retired, glad you are back, always enjoyed reading and responding to your threads.

Thank you, I actually missed you guys too. 

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I know, I just came from Dietze. Its not them as they told me. Want to hear what I did? I cleaned & waxed my wife's Subaru 2 days ago, We have been missing the original receipt since June. I found it on the floor behind her seat. She has claimed she gave it to me and I told her she didn't.  Anyway, she must have thrown it there so now I have it. The  card they gave with the receipt says, "In Stock and 7 to 10 days. This is the 3rd month. So I wanted to show them that today.  

17 minutes ago, Retired said:

I know, I just came from Dietze. Its not them as they told me. Want to hear what I did? I cleaned & waxed my wife's Subaru 2 days ago, We have been missing the original receipt since June. I found it on the floor behind her seat. She has claimed she gave it to me and I told her she didn't.  Anyway, she must have thrown it there so now I have it. The  card they gave with the receipt says, "In Stock and 7 to 10 days. This is the 3rd month. So I wanted to show them that today.  

Retired, glad your back - sorry this saga is still going on.  It's time for either a whole bunch of stuff to be thrown in with the sale from Dietze or I'd go the sweetwater route...  my moto has become, try to go local, but they got to show up a little bit...

Again - welcome back!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Retired said:

Hello, I came back tonight, Nothing personal when I left guys. I was having problems with my eyesight. I got very blurry and couldn't make out words or letters. I couldn't tell what I typed and was misspelling so many words because of it.  My wife told me I spent too many hours looking at the screen and that was causing it as it happened to her.  So that's why I left for awhile. I'll check in time to time but I do need to reduce time on the computer. I still get like that as it comes and goes. so I thought I'd at least explain to everyone what was happening.  Rob, & I email each other, as a few here know pretty much every day, And I get that way with him too. Haha, He writes huge letters for me and that helps a lot. I can imagine at times, I have a ton of misspelled words but neither of us care as we can make them out. Anyway, This is just a heads up as to why I left. Every one on here has been great and kind to me over the years and I have never had any complaints with anyone.  I learned a ton here and want to thank everyone for that. Guess this thread says any complaints? I guess my vision problems Lol

Welcome back!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

Retired, glad your back - sorry this saga is still going on.  It's time for either a whole bunch of stuff to be thrown in with the sale from Dietze or I'd go the sweetwater route...  my moto has become, try to go local, but they got to show up a little bit...

Again - welcome back!

Thanks, good to be back. October will make 4 months. I'm assured it will arrive for sure. I asked, What if it doesn't? "Can I pick out any guitar in the store for a replacement?" Haha, I said, I'll take a Gibson then. Surprisingly they said: "Yeah, I guess we would owe you one!"  If the Riviera arrives as promised, I get a complete Luthier setup free and another one after that up to 2 years.  I think they should throw in a RCT case with it?  Yeah, I said, not many guys would have been as patient as this and I would have gone with Sweet Water long ago if it weren't for Chris and Ned working there. Chris said they are all very sad for me and agree it's ridiculous and very thankful for me being so patient with them.  For starting out being in stock, now it's coming from China and I'm wondering if its being custom made? Lol

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think the engines gave out and their paddling the boat here, Lol. 

18 minutes ago, Retired said:

I think the engines gave out and their paddling the boat here, Lol. 

Hope you see your Riviera soon, I just ordered an RC car a few days ago on eBay from a seller in China being sent using their standard Speed Pack scheduled to arrive between Sept 24 and Oct 20, a nice tight window.. From past experience I expect it to take about a month..

s-l1600.jpg

19 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Hope you see your Riviera soon, I just ordered an RC car a few days ago on eBay from a seller in China being sent using their standard Speed Pack scheduled to arrive between Sept 24 and Oct 20, a nice tight window.. From past experience I expect it to take about a month..

s-l1600.jpg

Those are cool. I used to race a  all chevy powered 71 Dodge Colt. Had an arrow dynamics all chrome molly  12 point cage & tube frame. Like the Pro Stock Colts of the 70's. Also a spare 8 second spare engine for it and a Hemi too. Anyway, I almost got into RC when Traxas came out with the 70 mph Funny Cars. They had a mini drag strip for them in Iowa but it seemed to always flood out all year back in 2018 & 2019. So I never got one. 

3 hours ago, Retired said:

Those are cool. I used to race a  all chevy powered 71 Dodge Colt. Had an arrow dynamics all chrome molly  12 point cage & tube frame. Like the Pro Stock Colts of the 70's. Also a spare 8 second spare engine for it and a Hemi too. Anyway, I almost got into RC when Traxas came out with the 70 mph Funny Cars. They had a mini drag strip for them in Iowa but it seemed to always flood out all year back in 2018 & 2019. So I never got one. 

I did RC planes for a while, when I came to the island electric helicopters starting to work because of the light weight batteries, then I had to switch to electric boats to break the addiction. I got my my girlfriend an RC Dodge Charger that she became quite adept with and wore it out, so this WLToys 144001 is for her to take the next step..

6 hours ago, mihcmac said:

I did RC planes for a while, when I came to the island electric helicopters starting to work because of the light weight batteries, then I had to switch to electric boats to break the addiction. I got my my girlfriend an RC Dodge Charger that she became quite adept with and wore it out, so this WLToys 144001 is for her to take the next step..

She will love it.

• Like 1

Retired,

If the screen is bothering you maybe what you need is one of those anti glare shields, kind of like sunglasses for the monitor.

10 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Retired,

If the screen is bothering you maybe what you need is one of those anti glare shields, kind of like sunglasses for the monitor.

Its been 7 years since I retired from BNSF and 8 years since I had my last eye exam. I'm wondering if both Deb & I need to go back for an exam? I could try that though, Thanks. I finally found how to turn the brightness down on the screen. And I have my sunglasses on. That helps for now. Much better. I just don't want to overdo time on the computer for awhile till it gets better. Before it was like: I was lightheaded and dizzy. Had to go lie down and close my eyes.  Then I was on Guitar Tricks looking up songs to play and on facebook so I was just on too long.  Thanks Steve. 

8 minutes ago, Retired said:

Its been 7 years since I retired from BNSF and 8 years since I had my last eye exam. I'm wondering if both Deb & I need to go back for an exam?

Yes, you should.  My last eye exam I was told I'm borderline for glaucoma.   One of the symptoms is narrowing of vision - doesn't sound like what you are experiencing but either way, I would make that appointment. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Yes, you should.  My last eye exam I was told I'm borderline for glaucoma.   One of the symptoms is narrowing of vision - doesn't sound like what you are experiencing but either way, I would make that appointment. 

I told her we do need to make an appointment. With the Covid now she said it's hard to get in.  I'll remind her again.  Thanks.

Retired, you might talk to your eye doc about blue-light-filtering glasses.  They are supposed to help if you spend a lot of time in front of a screen.