Gibson Brands Forums
Mr. Gibson

What's bothering ya today?

On 9/10/2020 at 9:03 PM, Mr. Natural said:

Retired, you might talk to your eye doc about blue-light-filtering glasses.  They are supposed to help if you spend a lot of time in front of a screen.

Hmm, Never heard of those. I'll check into them, Thanks.  As of now, Deb came up and saw me on the computer and said, "Butch." I told her "The tops open but I'm watching El Dorado, lol and once in awhile I look down at the screen and type during the boring parts."  She laughed and went back downstairs. 

Nothings really bothering me, except a raccoon that keeps getting into the attic above the dorm of the master bedroom. He had insulation all over the roof.  So I bated the trap and set it by the side of the house where he's getting up. All I caught was 2 possums. I released the first one at the lake, where I walk Sundance and the 2nd one today was snarling and hissing at me when I picked the trap up. A bit funny as I told him to "Shut Up or I'll Shoot You in the Head."  "It's up to you if you want to live or die possum." Not a peep out of him after that,  like he understood every word.  I had to chuckle. 

P90 pick ups are NOT a drop in for a 2012 Firebird.

That was not what I was led to believe.  Internet speaks with forked tongue.

10 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

P90 pick ups are NOT a drop in for a 2012 Firebird.

That was not what I was led to believe.  Internet speaks with forked tongue.

Do you just need that bracket that mounts to the bottom of the pup cavity?

That plus routing for the cavity is required and it will still leave 4 screw holes per pick up where the mini humbucker plate mounts.

I'll have to think about this one.  I really wanted a reverse Firebird with P90s and maybe a Lyre tail piece which is why I bought that black one.

3 hours ago, SteveFord said:

That plus routing for the cavity is required and it will still leave 4 screw holes per pick up where the mini humbucker plate mounts.

I'll have to think about this one.  I really wanted a reverse Firebird with P90s and maybe a Lyre tail piece which is why I bought that black one.

There has got to be a company that makes a P-90 pup that is the same size as mini's?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, SteveFord said:

https://www.riograndepickups.com/single-pickups-for-p-90

Boom, your welcome unless you have to have Gibson pups. I used to put Rio's is some of my guitars and liked them. I think my friend has a set of P-90's in his LP Studio from them and digs them.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Digger said:

If I was a possum I would have shut up too!

Haha, I bet you would.  I only told Debbie to shut up now, once, in 41 years.  She was going on and on about something around 20 some years back.  We were in her car and she would not stop complaining  about something. I told her to Shut Up, & she zipped it up. Now I have never hit her or threatened to. But afterwards, All she kept doing was laughing and telling me, "You never ever told me to shut up before, I can't believe you told me to shut up, That's not like you, Haha, You actually told me to shut up!"  Oh, my, I was about to get out of the car and walk home. 

• Like 1

OK, What's the trick to catch a Raccoon? I caught 2 Possums in the trap, and 3 coons have gone in, ate the food and got back out without being trapped.  I told Deb, I might have to sleep out on the porch tonight, and release the trap when one gets in it. 

48 minutes ago, Retired said:

OK, What's the trick to catch a Raccoon? I caught 2 Possums in the trap, and 3 coons have gone in, ate the food and got back out without being trapped.  I told Deb, I might have to sleep out on the porch tonight, and release the trap when one gets in it. 

A 9mm at close range works.

9 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

A 9mm at close range works.

Look, Yep that would work. A little noisy though? I thought about a pellet rifle too, I do have a .177, & a .22 pellet rifle, and the .9mm . 

What's bothering me today is that I used to be a passable jazz rhythm player, standards and jazz blues, walking bass with chords.  I used to play in duo with sax players (who remembers my 60th birthday post, end of  June 2014?)  and once I even had a wonderful gig as a trio with a sax and a trombone, like the Jimmy Guiffre Trio with Hall and Brookmeyer. 

I f**kin' loved it. Probably the height of my musical career.  I've never felt happier or more fulfilled in my playing.

No more.  We got very few gigs even when there wasn't a pandemic but it was the best thing I ever did musically.   I really want to play live again and it's bothering me a lot now.

And (this is the other bit that's bothering me) now I have something called Dupuytren's contracture in the 3rd finger of my left (fretting) hand. Google it - with this disease the tendon thickens, gets nodes on it and shortens, gradually pulling either the 3rd or 4th finger into the palm. With me it's the 3rd.  Since the start of this year it has got very much worse and I'm getting clumsy on things that I've always done. The 3rd finger bashes into the 2nd and it's much harder to place accurately on the string you want.  It's hereditary - my elder sister also recently developed it - I'm fighting back now, but it's really pissed me off.  Over-practicing stuff I'm never going to use out of a famous jazz book didn't help either.  You needn't learn every phrase in every position and key.  

Now I'm going to concentrate on what I need to know/do and how to keep doing it.  I splint my finger at night, just started that, and am taking magnesium citrate supplement which I used to take anyway but stopped in 2019 (which come to think of it is when this began to worsen).

Edited by jdgm

Hey John sorry to hear that - my cousin had what sounds the same - he's about 61 and his fingers were curling back toward his palms and he thought it was something that ran in his family (the other side of - not in mine). He recently had an operation which seems to have worked wonders but I'm not sure if temporary or permanent fix.

hoping Philip 'Tman' is ok with the fires in Calif after the devastation of the previous time [mellow]

• Thanks 1

Yeah I've been wondering about Tman and what he must be thinking, seeing those fires.  Unbelievable.

Am I the only one bothered that I can't play as good as Joe Walsh or a ton of others? Haha. 

• Haha 1

The smoke from the west is here, great. 

Some of it started by protesters.

deforest it if you can't keep it from burning.

Where the hell is Bigfoot going to hide?

Nobody worries about Bigfoot.

3 hours ago, Retired said:

Am I the only one bothered that I can't play as good as Joe Walsh or a ton of others? Haha. 

Sometimes I can’t even play as good as me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, 'Scales said:

Hey John sorry to hear that - my cousin had what sounds the same - he's about 61 and his fingers were curling back toward his palms and he thought it was something that ran in his family (the other side of - not in mine). He recently had an operation which seems to have worked wonders but I'm not sure if temporary or permanent fix.

hoping Philip 'Tman' is ok with the fires in Calif after the devastation of the previous time [mellow]

22 hours ago, jdgm said:

Yeah I've been wondering about Tman and what he must be thinking, seeing those fires.  Unbelievable.

Thanks Scales and jdgm, we are doing ok dealing with the California permafire season.  Truly a bizarre time. My wife and I were going to go to Big Bear for a few days (our 10th anniversary and her birthday). Friday morning smoke was coming into our valley and the news said it was much worse where we were going. We cancelled.

This photo was 10 AM and it felt like an eclipse.

x8ajVxm.jpg

Other than that and the pandemic we are doing well!

Edited by Tman
grammar error
  • Like 1

being buried in wildfire smoke and living in a pandemic is buggin me today. I know we have the power to be better than this but so many _______ want to hide in make believe and foment hate we are stuck in the f n muck. I wish corporations would learn they can make money off of a green planet  IF its inhabitable....I wish I wasnt so pissed ....be kind, be calm, be safe our health officer says  and Im still hoping we can  .Have a nice day sounds lame but to those who can,  do it and count yourself lucky,   Jim

Edited by jvi
addition
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jvi said:

Have a nice day sounds lame but to those who can,  do it and count yourself lucky,   Jim

It may sound lame, but it's profound. A bit of Buddhism now and then is good for you.