Gibson Brands Forums

P90 LP Special Vs Tele Original

mihcmac

Honestly, I really love my Telecaster.  It is an awesome platform for a guitar.  Mine is an American Pro with a nice fat neck on it and vintage-like SCs.  Sounds super nice clean and stands out nicely in a band situation. 

Now I have been tempted to try one of those LP Specials out in that awesome TV yellow finish....  I don't have any P90 guitars and I know they sound great in a LP.  For me, it would be a toss up to get one of these LP Specials or a lightweight R6 goldtop. 

Humbuckers are nice and full sounding, but when it comes to cleans or gritty gain, SCs FTW.  I like both SCs and HBs personally.  It just depends on the sound I'm looking for I suppose in the moments I'm playing something. 

Regarding the video topic, I believe that these guitars featured just sound different but can be used interchangeably if someone really wanted to.  I am in the camp that it's more the player than the guitar personally.  A good player can make any guitar fit the bill when necessary - well a functional guitar that is, haha!  Both of these guitars are monsters, so why would one ever say they should have used one over the other I wonder?  @mihcmac I know you're a P90 fan though, haha! 

• Like 2

NighthawkChris, they may be distant "Single Coil Cousins" but definitely not "Siamese Twins", they both could be run through similar setups in substitution without too much trouble. I must admit I do have a Tele with P90's and think its the only way to fly...

My ultimate Tele would have a maple fingerboard with 22 frets, on a 25 1/2" scale, Thinline body, P90's and a Strat Tremolo..

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

I watched the video. I think the LP sounded a little more beefy, the Tele a little more twangy, pretty much as expected. They both sound good.

My only ‘native’ P-90 instrument is a ‘59 Gibson EM-150 mandolin. Not a guitar, but it truly screams! On the other hand, I pulled the humbuckers out of my SG to replace them with P-94s (basically a P-90 that fits an HB cavity,). It also screams! To come full circle, I put the 498 humbucker from the bridge position of my SG into the neck position of my Fat-Tele (Fender Texas Special at the bridge). Guess what, it screams, too! (Although it does need some dialing in, the 498 is really hot at the neck.) 

Do I have a point that’s relevant to this video, no, not really. Maybe it’s just that screaming electrics that also sound good clean are GOOD. I like single coils.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mihcmac said:

NighthawkChris, they may be distant "Single Coil Cousins" but definitely not "Siamese Twins", they both could be run through similar setups in substitution without too much trouble. I must admit I do have a Tele with P90's and think its the only way to fly...

My ultimate Tele would have a maple fingerboard with 22 frets, on a 25 1/2" scale, Thinline body, P90's and a Strat Tremolo..

You had me at Thinline 😁

• Like 2

My first attempt at a Tele/Paul a slightly modified G&L Junior II, but the solid mahogany turned out to be a bit on the heavy side.

KVALE3C.jpg

Both of my Tele's are incredible to play and can produce a characteristically Tele sound..

Edited by mihcmac
  • Thanks 1