Gibson Brands Forums

Inner city, the 'burbs, country - where you live?

'Scales

We all want and need to live somewhere, so where do you call home and why?

For me, I have lived in several cities when I was young and always seemed to choose inner suburbs about 10 mins to the CBD cos there was easy access to the 'action' without being in the thick of it when I wanted a bit of peace. 

At 40 I moved to a country village with a pub and a shop and I suppose about 40 or so houses and really have no desire ever to live in the city again, though I visit big cities for work regularly (when there's not a pandemic) and still get a buzz from the downtown vibe, but I could never get the hang of the idea of suburban living (but accept millions can't be wrong).

what about you guys?

• Like 2

"Sashalom" -XVIth district of Budapest.

I call the eastern border of Budapest my home. It has a village-like vibe, as it was a village before WWII. That's where I was born. If I ever become lucky, I'd buy a house there. 

Right now, I live on the edge of the inner city of Budapest, right next to an underground station, in a rented blockhouse flat. It is very practical, but nothing like home.

Bence.

• Like 3

I'm in a small town (16k people) about 20 minutes from a major city (1 million people) I live about 12 miles from the only house my parents ever owned, my Dad built it in 1952. All my family is within 15 miles, so we are all close. But, I'm considering moving to Los Angeles California for a new job! It pays very well. I'm in my 50s, so I'm thinking about moving there for 6-8 years and hopefully bank some money.

Excellent thread!

• Like 1

Well I officially live in London according to my postcode but where I live is really the suburbs and its also right at the edge of the countryside too..  I live right next to one of the largest forests in the country (Epping).

• Like 3

I live in a suburb, but on five acres including a spring-fed creek. 

There are 70 acres of woods surrounding  a piece of protected wetland on/immediately adjoining my property back there, so it's blissful woods and privacy on all sides but one. 
I can literally walk out into the back yard naked if I wanted to (not that any sentient being would want to see such a thing) and there's nobody to witness it except for woodland bunnies, squirrels, raccoons, and the birds. 

Best of both worlds. 
😐

Edited by sparquelito
  • Like 3

I live on the east side of the Big Island in a redeveloped agricultural area cut out from the jungle. We have herds of wild pigs passing through and free range chickens descended from fighting cocks. The ocean is within sight but just a few miles away.

"FBI" t-shirts are quite popular here, meaning From Big Island.

I grew up mostly on the west coast in the OC and Foothills area, also lived in Oregon, Az, Utah and Colorado. My dad built freeways working in asphalt and concrete, my mom worked for Disney, I worked as a graphic artist for several different companies with my longest stint at Motorola.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

I grew up in a suburb of Chicago in the 50s.  My Dad built the house I grew up in himself and I'm told we moved in a couple months after I was born.  I lived there through the 6th grade.  My Dad was then transferred to Belgium for 3 years and again we lived in a suburb of Brussels.  When we moved back to the US we lived in the same town, but bought a new house.  After college I continued to live in nearby suburbs for about 40 years.  I never wanted to live in the city  proper (Chicago) as I am not a fan of parking on the street, the noise, the crowds, the traffic etc.  When I retired I moved to a gated community in South Carolina with about 3000 people.  It is cut from pine forest in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains.  Once outside the gate we are in the country - hay fields, and cattle grazing where there is not forest.  Town is about 9 miles away for the grocery, drug store, restaurants etc.  I always preferred more open space than a city allows.

• Like 1

We live in unincorporated Hays County, just outside the suburb bordering the city of Austin to the south.  The lot sizes in our subdivision are .5 to 2 acres, so we’re not stacked on top of our neighbor.  Despite being so close to Austin, it’s felt like country living.  However, that is changing unfortunately.  Hays County is the fastest growing county in TX so we will soon be dealing with increased traffic, etc.  Oh well.  It was great while it lasted.

• Like 1

I live in the suburbs but my part of the county is pretty close the the Baltimore city line. It's getting more congested by the month around here. Just about every bit of woods or open field has been cleared and within days houses are up.     

• Like 1

I live in Portsmouth in the UK. I was born here, but spent enough time abroad to get some perspective (eg: S. Africa as a child, and USA in my 20s).

Portsmouth is an Island city. It’s also the home of the Royal Navy. When I was a kid, most of us were expected to begin careers in the Naval dockyard. Its far less Navy focused today.

I live off Portsea Island. Since retiring 2 years ago, I wander for miles around here. The seashore is 2 minutes walk away. Portchester Castle is also close by. To the North is Portsdown Hill. A large chalk down overlooking the city. It’s wild & unbuilt on. It was my playground as a kid. Now I climb it sometimes on my walks. Up there are 4 Victorian Forts built in a line to defend the city from Napoleon. There are also 4 sea forts defending the harbour from sea attack.

On the other side of Portsdown Hill is countryside; farmland and small villages. That’s more of a drive away though.

I’ve been sea swimming a few times this year at with Cherry. We had to use the sea this year because lockdown closed the gyms & pools. She usually swims 4 times a week. She lives 20 minute’s walk from my house & we are pretty ‘loved up’.

I never thought I’d still be living here at my time of life, but I’m very happy about it nevertheless.

This is Fort Nelson overlooking Portsea Island. We walked there on Wednesday.

Fort-Nelson-Aerial.jpg

• Like 3

I want to see England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. I did alot of traveling in the Navy and CG but I've only been to Spain and Switzerland and went there on vacation.  It is damn cool you guys have so many country's so close. I drive for hours and I'm just in another state.

We lived in Chicopee, a "Mill Town" in Western Massachusetts before moving to Texas.  People lived in the same houses for generations.  We bought a large, 100 year old Victorian previously owned by the town's lawyer. Even after 4 years, people would come up to us and say "Oh, you live in The Gregory House."     We were fortunate to have been able to build a house on 2 acres in the outskirts of what we call The Hill Country. Couldn't see or hear any of our neighbors, which we loved.  Had to give it up - now live closer to San Antonio. In outer suburbia which, with recent growth and population shifts - like TxOgre reported - has lost all the open spaces.  

• Like 1

I was born and raised in Kansas City, Mo.  Almost 30 years ago we moved to Independence, Mo.  (about 25 miles from Kansas City).  I rarely ever go into the city anymore.  Last time was a couple years ago.  Everything I need and the places I play music are away from the city.  My wife and I primarily exist in the suburbs of Independence, Blue Springs, and Lee’s Summit, Mo.  No way in hell we would ever move back to a big city.

Edited by MissouriPicker
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 3:55 PM, mihcmac said:

I live on the east side of the Big Island in a redeveloped agricultural area cut out from the jungle. We have herds of wild pigs passing through and free range chickens descended from fighting cocks. The ocean is within sight but just a few miles away.

"FBI" t-shirts are quite popular here, meaning From Big Island.

I grew up mostly on the west coast in the OC and Foothills area, also lived in Oregon, Az, Utah and Colorado. My dad built freeways working in asphalt and concrete, my mom worked for Disney, I worked as a graphic artist for several different companies with my longest stint at Motorola.

I lived on Oahu from 1997 thru 2001, and lived on the North Shore there.
Surfed just about every day. 
Longboard, not the sporty short board stuff.  

My girlfriend at the time (now 2nd wife) and I visited the Big Island a number of times. 
We always preferred Country over Town. 
(Hilo side over Kona side.)

Sometimes we stayed up at the Kilauea Military Camp, on the volcano's edge. 

Good times. 

😐

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparquelito said:

I lived on Oahu from 1997 thru 2001, and lived on the North Shore there.
Surfed just about every day. 
Longboard, not the sporty short board stuff.  

My girlfriend at the time (now 2nd wife) and I visited the Big Island a number of times. 
We always preferred Country over Town. 
(Hilo side over Kona side.)

Sometimes we stayed up at the Kilauea Military Camp, on the volcano's edge. 

Good times. 

😐

I like visiting KMC for the PX (country store) and other things, the Jaeger Museum kind of fell apart with the last eruption. I enjoy the windward side the most (Hilo side) as its very green with dense forest or jungle and there are miles of rocky coast line with no people.. On the east side where a few beaches creep out to the sea people will gather in larger numbers but nothing like a crowded California  beach.

• Like 1

I live in a small "Mayberry" kinda town on the Eastern Shore of Md.  a little over 600 people. out in the country. deer, muskrat, fox, opossum, skunk, rabbits, coyotes ...  45 / 50 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean,  1,5 hours from the Chesapeake Bay.   Agricutlture , Chickens & various livestock is prevalent. 

Edited by Karloff
  • Like 1