Gibson Brands Forums

Straps for a new Les Paul Studio

Connic01

I just bought a new Les Paul Studio in alpine white. From reading various forums and Gibson owner's manual I get the overwhelming impression that the nitrocellulose finish is very finicky. I have two questions about straps:

1. Which are considered safe for the nitrocellulose finish, and which would you recommend that I buy (and where can I get it)?

2. Is it advisable to keep the strap on the guitar when storing it in the case? I have the standard hardshell case and the fit seems very snug, even without the strap.

Any insight that you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

i use a Franklin strap, its suede, hasnt given me any problems,

all i can say is get some schaller straplocks, best investment ever for a cherished guitar

my axe doesnt fit in the case with the strap on (because of the straplocks) fits snug as a bug without the strap,

i just fold up the strap and put it under the headstock (leave some room in the little compartment)

First, be sure to install strap locks on your LP - it's the cheapest ($20) insurance you will ever purchase. I can't stress having them enough. As for straps, it's really an individual call as to what feels the best for you. There are so many available, in varying materials, that it's tough to tell you what YOU like. Yes, the nitro finish is more delicate, but I wouldn't let that affect the strap you get, as it will have zero impact - particularly if you take my advice and get the strap locks. As for storing it w/the strap on, I wouldn't do that...I always take mine off before putting her to sleep for the night.

Many thanks, from a grateful Les Paul newbie, for your prompt replies. Yes, I was thinking that straplocks were the only option with the LP case. Are there any vendors that you use that you would recommend for the straps and locks? I need to take good case of my new baby...

Archived