Gibson Brands Forums

Rock/blues book suggestions

StevenShelby

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/9/2020 at 12:24 PM, uncle fester said:

There's a book about Jim Morrison that's pretty cool.  Something like 'the arrow flies' or something.  Really liked him back in the day...  that book helped in that direction.  I since have seen quite a bit about him, and really not all that impressed anymore.

I wrote this bit a few years ago, and posted here on the Gibson Forums five years ago. 
A bit of fiction about having met Jim Morrison in Paris in 1970. 

Considering I would have been eleven years old at the time, it's a pretty funny piece. 

On 10/5/2020 at 8:39 PM, sparquelito said:

I wrote this bit a few years ago, and posted here on the Gibson Forums five years ago. 
A bit of fiction about having met Jim Morrison in Paris in 1970. 

Considering I would have been eleven years old at the time, it's a pretty funny piece. 

Just posted about this in the other thread -  fun read, you got quite the imagination... not sure why yours never made it to the bookstores?

• 3 weeks later...

My son loves to do themed music applications. I recently read a short story about Lord of the Flies https://gradesfixer.com/free-essay-examples/lord-of-the-flies/ and So we decided to cover the guitar deck with leather. This helped create a unique sound. It seems to me that such thematic applications help develop creative thinking and the possibility of self-education. You can replace animal materials with synthetic leather.

• 3 months later...

I read Kenny Werner's Easy Craftsmanship https://www.amazon.com/Effortless-Master-Liberating-Master-Musician/dp/156224003X and loved it. I'm also very interested in your blues preferences, I would read about Zeppelin "Hammer of the Gods". I have a lot of free time right now because with the help of this site I write good papers about what I read in college and can read a lot of additional literature. But the best thing is to watch documentaries, I think they will contain more details and a lot of interesting things.

Edited by Robyn Elmer

I have read a BUNCH of them.  The Keith Richards and Gregg Allman books are probably the top two.  I thought the Sammy Hagar and Pete Townshend ones were the most disappointing (for different reasons).  While the Joe Perry book ran mid-pack and was "good", I was surprised how he really raked Steven Tyler over the coals a few times (I did not expect that at all).  I am reading Jorma Kaukonen's book now (Double Dose  by Hot Tuna is one of my favorite albums of all time), it is an excellent and super-interesting read, and it may end up being the best autobiography that I have read by the time I finish it; it includes a CD of music, too. 

As for "Hammer of the Gods", that was written a long time ago.  Robert Plant said when it first came out, "There is some shreds truth there in between the lies".